• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Official New Getzen Flugelhorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
Adam,
Will the horn sound the same if it was finished in silver. I have been told that silver plating copper makes the sound not as nice. I am asking this because I am not a fan of lacquered instruments. But your new flugelhorn really interests me and I can't wait to try in at NAMM.

We just lacquered the first production model. While we were aware that the changes we made from the "beta" horn would alter its playing and tonal characteristics slightly it was obvious to us that there was a difference between lacquered and non-lacquered. Lacquered vs silver plated is a debate that could go on and on. My experience is that a lacquered horn plays more like a silver plated horn than a raw one.

This is mostly due to buffing which acts slightly like burnishing the horn. A raw horn will play a little darker and slot a little more loosely than a buffed and plated/lacquered horn. The core characteristics of the horn are still there but they are ever so slightly altered.

This was part of the motivation for sending the horn with a set of three lead-pipes. If you play a silver 4895 you might find that you prefer a different lead-pipe than someone who chose to purchase a raw 4895.

I hope that answers your question, feel free to post or PM me if you have any more.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: 1st and 3rd slides Reply with quote

When the Kanstul company were building the Besson Brevette flugels they spent a great deal of time building the tooling for making the first and third slide knuckles in a continuous, smooth bend (s) so that 90 degree crooks were eliminated. The Brevette was one of the greatest flugelhorns ever made and continuing the original design was important.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available in the US only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 and in Sydney, Australia at Sax and Woodwind...and Brass and in Freiburg, Germany at Musik-Bertram.
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Getzen,

First let me thank you for sharing the development process of this new flugel with us to such an extent. You are as far as I know the first instrument builder to do so.
This flugel looks very good, and I'm looking forward to the first tester/user feedback.
One detail I noticed is that there apparently is no brace or ferrule between the mouthpipe and the bell, the tuning bit clamping ring being between the back bell bow and the first valve.
Do I observe correctly and if so, isn't there a risk of bending the mouthpipe or even breaking the solder joint to the first valve casing when the horn is put down on a hard surface with the valve slides up?
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flugelnut wrote:
Mr. Getzen,

First let me thank you for sharing the development process of this new flugel with us to such an extent. You are as far as I know the first instrument builder to do so.
This flugel looks very good, and I'm looking forward to the first tester/user feedback.
One detail I noticed is that there apparently is no brace or ferrule between the mouthpipe and the bell, the tuning bit clamping ring being between the back bell bow and the first valve.
Do I observe correctly and if so, isn't there a risk of bending the mouthpipe or even breaking the solder joint to the first valve casing when the horn is put down on a hard surface with the valve slides up?

The ferrule at the end of mouthpipe is soldered to the bell via a flange.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the brace here, but it seems to be a different setup than the photo of the lacquered horn:

NOTE - I brought forward the wrong photo earlier (the 3895) and have corrected that. The same discrepancy, however, exists.

Last edited by veery715 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Mr. Getzen, you haven't quite convinced me that there is a joint between mouthpipe and bell on your new flugel.
Pictures of the finished horn clearly show the clamping ring/thumbscrew to be between first valve casing and bell bow and there is no connecting rod or whatever visible.
Please enlighten me, e.g. by an additional picture.
nordlandstrompet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flugelnut wrote:
Sorry, Mr. Getzen, you haven't quite convinced me that there is a joint between mouthpipe and bell on your new flugel.
Pictures of the finished horn clearly show the clamping ring/thumbscrew to be between first valve casing and bell bow and there is no connecting rod or whatever visible.

Maybe a look above your post can enlighten you?
---------------------------
Taylor
Chicago Custom X-VR
Chicago Gen III

CarolBrass
CTR-5200V-(D)-L
CCT-9392-GLS(D)
CCR-9990-RSM-SLB
CPT-3000-GLS
CPT-1000 mini
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordlandstrompet wrote:
Flugelnut wrote:

Maybe a look above your post can enlighten you?
Yes, but I reposted that photo from earlier in the thread, and I am with flugelnut, I do not see how that arrangement exists in the lacquered horn photo, as the thumbscrew clamp is clearly well forward (towards the bell) of the bell bow. and there is no visible brace. A brace to the bow, if behind the bow in the photo, would connect to the tunable leadpipe, and that would not allow it to move.
FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If indeed it is a thumbscrew clamp for the mouthpipe. The mouthpiece looks like it's fitting into a narrower silver tube & any fixing is hidden behind the bell.

Frank
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the most recent photo from Mr. Getzen, either the whole leadpipe assembly is too short, or the bell is built wrong. All the other flugels by Getzen have the fixed leadpipe section (sans telescoping tuning tube) long enough to extend past the bell bow.

Or there is no brace.
FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks that way. I wonder what's lurking behind the bell bow. Like you and Flugelnut I would hope it's not nothing.

Frank
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to take a deep breath!!

Adam said there's a connection there. At this point in the process why on earth wouldn't you believe that??

Perhaps the leadpipe and screw stop assembly are built differently for this horn so it connects to bell differently?

This is my favorite thread ever on this forum.

Thanks to Adam for the continued updates!!!!!
1948 Holton Model 48
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbdeamer wrote:

Adam said there's a connection there. At this point in the process why on earth wouldn't you believe that??

Perhaps the leadpipe and screw stop assembly are built differently for this horn so it connects to bell differently?

I am breathing just fine, thanks. This is not an assault on Adam. I see a photo which tells me something different than what Adam writes. It is not a criticism, just a curiosity. He will clear it up, I am sure.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
gbdeamer wrote:

I am breathing just fine, thanks. This is not an assault on Adam. I see a photo which tells me something different than what Adam writes. It is not a criticism, just a curiosity. He will clear it up, I am sure.

I hear you. The deep breath was more directed at Flugelnut's:

""Sorry, Mr. Getzen, you haven't quite convinced me that there is a joint between mouthpipe and bell on your new flugel."

...right after the man said there was one!
1948 Holton Model 48
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to me that the screw-fitting to secure the leadpipe is simply not at the very end of the female tube. The picture showing the flugel with the leadpipe inserted shows a nickel-silver leadpipe; the tubing on either side of the screw fitting is brass -- ergo that's all outer tubing.

It's different, but I'll give Getzen the benefit of the doubt and assume it works.
cmg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a google image search on the model 3895 Custom flugelhorn and you can see the what appears to be the same construction from multple views...

Chris
Wes Clarke
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the question some are asking. If you look at the picture on page 8 of the thread, the thumbscrew for the mouthpipe is close enough to the valve block that the picture shows it inside the bell bow. That means any brace to the bell tubing would be between the mouthpiece and the thumbscrew. Thus, the clamping point is quite a distance from the end of the pipe receiver. The picture last posted clearly shows a brace fitted onto the bell tubing. A picture taken from above would help us see how this is designed.

Snapper
Troy Bilt
Poulan
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flange is attached via a nickel ferrule. The lead pipe is not. I hope this clears up any confusion.
codyb334
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me if I got this right Adam, the screw "clamp" to hold the leadpipe in place sits much closer to the valve block than a normal flugelhorn, correct? That is what I am getting by looking at it and I want to be sure I view it correctly.
Thanks!
Olds L12 Flugel
GR 67L
Monette Prana BL2 S3 XLT
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself, Nicole Sasser and Brett at the Getzen booth today during Midwest. We gave Nicole her very own 4895 Custom Reserve flugel. As good as it sounded when Andy play tested it Nicole really made it special. Mike Vax played on it as well and asked if he could trade us his 3895 for one. There is still one at the show to try but it is back to work for Brett and myself. I'm sorry if I missed any of you that came by but I hope you get the chance to play this horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 9 of 20

Jump to: