• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Meazzi (CCC = Conn Connstellation Copy)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Meazzi (CCC = Conn Connstellation Copy) Reply with quote

So, I bought a strange trumpet which is called "Meazzi, modell Oro".

I cannot find more than one reference on the entire internet, O. J. says in his player/horn combinations list that Woody Shaw played one and that it was an Italian Conn Connstellation copy.

Do you know anything more?

The serial number is XX00, so I tend to believe it really is only XX. Unfortunately the seller thought that he did not need to stabilize it in its case before he shipped it so now the bell is pretty screwed up. Everything else is in perfect condition, but I have no photos yet as it went (almost) straight to my repairman.

However it looks like a Conn Connstellation but gold plated and without the vertical leaderpipe brace. I think Woody Shaw plays his in this Youtube video. It has a VERY sweet tone.

I have understand that Meazzi made other instruments, mainly drums, but also guitars and basses.
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make another try, now with photos!

Has anyone heard or seen anything like this?

I have seen on the net that there also were amplifiers called Meazzi, does that ring any bell? Are there any nice drums or amps forums to question?
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For drums/amps, you could try Harmony Central. I've never heard of Meazzi amps, were they guitar amps?
Selmer 24B Lightweight K-Mod
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know, just saw a side note when I googled it that some guy in South America had one... Drums seem to be most prominent with Billy Cobman playing a "Hollywood Meazzi" drum set according to some comments on Youtube. Here it is with great playing by Bill Hardman on trumpet:

Link
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Meazzi was an Italian band instrument company. I owned one of their rotary valve trumpets for many years. The company no longer operates, I believe. According to one source I found the instruments were considered to be mediocre at best. I played a gig with an Italian dance band with a sax player using a Meazzi. He played so out of tune that I nearly herniated my chops trying to lip into tune with him.

As for the rotary trumpet, I sent it to Jason Harrelson to "experiment" with. He has never produced a rotary trumpet yet so I thought I would give him a base model to work from. Maybe one day we will get to see it with a heavy wall mouthpipe and receiver, sheet bracing and a titanium kranz ring
or not.

Cheers,

Brian
Norman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember from when I was a guitar player that Meazzi were distributors of musical instruments and accessories for Italy, for example Marshall amps. I seem to recall that there was a line of products under their name, but they were all 'entry level', cheap stuff for beginners.

From when I started playing trumpet (10 years ago) I never heard about Meazzi trumpets here in Italy, so I guess that production must have been discontinued several years ago.

I cannot find any specific info on the internet, only an Italian wikipedia page regarding Meazzi musical publishing branch, which refers to Meazzi as one of the leading Italian musical instruments manufacturer, but we're talking about the sixties.
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more pieces to the puzzle, thank you both!

However this trumpet is clearly not "mediocre at the best", but one of the most pleasing trumpets I have ever tried! The craftsmanship is very good, so is the sound. No question this is a top trumpet. As I mentioned earlier it is gold plated and engraved. The engraving covers the entire bell up to the bell bow and is well done although it lacks the "depth" that makes it artistic.

After a few more googles it looks like Meazzi mainly was a dealer with own brands. The instruments were often made by other companies. Calderoni for example, made their drums. This page about their drums is pretty informative.

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/meazzi_history.html

Drums and guitars were their main products and there is a guy with quite many of their guitars. Seems like they made their early guitars by themselves.

http://www.fetishguitars.com/index/meazzi.html

Looks like they made both high and low quality guitars until 1969 and then focused on selling entry-level guitars. Maybe that counts for other instruments too? I guess this trumpet was made in the 60:s or 70:s. That also feels right if I look at the case and the mouthpiece (Bach without a dot after corp., puts it at 65-70 according to other threads here).

Probably they had some guy/firm to produce a few of these trumpets to sell under their own brand. As this trumpet is a very true copy of a Conn Connstellation (except for braces, plating and first valve trigger) it ought to be possible to find out which company build it as the design is as odd as it is with those special Conn valves for example. I guess you also need to have special tools to make that wrap.

So, the only other European Connstellation copy I have seen (once on ebay) was made by one of the German Meinl companies, I believe it was Rudolf Meinl. Sad I do not remember if it had the same braces. If it had then the case had been solved, I believe.
nashbop63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say for sure that Woody Shaw played one of these in the early 80's, and it was ( a very worn ) gold plated horn. Did look like a 38B copy, and of course he sounded just incredible on it. I have no idea what happened to that horn, but never saw another one until these pictures. I'd love to know if there are any more floating around.

George Tidwell, in Nashville
knatterbock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: MEAZZI trumpet Reply with quote

To bring life to an old thread: I've just bought a pretty beaten up MEAZZI Modell Oro trumpet from ebay. Hope it comes in restorable condition and good playing .....from the pictures it looks like there's a lot to be done (bell accidend, sticky valves..........) .......

Peter
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 38B is an amazing horn. Having recently reaquired one, I can'tbelieve I ever sold it. The Meozzi doesn't seem to have a first valve trigger so that's why I would pass on that particular model. I would like to try a Kanstul Mariachi which is supposed to be a copy of Snooky Young's best 38B. Also Adams has the A6 copy I believe..
Www.LexSamu.com
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashbop63 wrote:
I can say for sure that Woody Shaw played one of these in the early 80's, and it was ( a very worn ) gold plated horn. Did look like a 38B copy, and of course he sounded just incredible on it. I have no idea what happened to that horn, but never saw another one until these pictures. I'd love to know if there are any more floating around.

George Tidwell, in Nashville

I'm going to agree and add a bit to this post. I was a student of Woody Shaws. When he got the horn it was law. he had it gold plated and had a new set of valves on it. I've know some trumpet layers who played his horn and said it was terrible. i never heard Shaw place this horn live, but on recordings he plays, what is in my opinion some of his finest music.

My associtation with him was during his Back and Yam. years. I saw him play both these instruments, including flugs and cornets (Bach only.) During his Bach years, he frequently switched back to the Miazi. But once with Yam he stayed with only the trot and flug. , the near the end of his tragically short live he only played two Bb, one silver one Laq. and sometimes with a cornet mpc. which he also used a cornet mpc. with his Back Flug. as well as his Yam flug.

Regards,
Wick Wooden Tenor Horn Straight Mute
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that I never added what I found out to this thread:

Prof. Romeo Orsi made these Meazzi Oro trumpets. I sent an email and asked them, it was a long shot from my side, but they responded and confirmed that they had made these instruments. They also said that they still had all tooling available if I was interested in a new version. This was about five years ago, so I don't know if it still is the case.
knatterbock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I received the MEAZZI: several drops of oil and the valves do their work. The bell is in bad condition and the leadpipe bent, I'm going to contact my repairman. Nevertheless: it has a sweet tone and is definitely not a mediocre quality horn.......................................

Peter
knatterbock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received the MEAZZI from my repairman: extremely well playing and slotting......I'm going to contact ORSI (Milano) to get more information about this great horn.
krax can you provide photos of the third slide stopping mechanism? It's completely missing on my MEAZZI.
Please MEAZZI players: chime in.......informations welcome.......

krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's a very nice design, the third slide stop on these models. It's a screw and it's a piece of cork glued to a cork holder that is mounted on the tubing leading the tuning slide into the valve block.

1. A screw in the middle of the third slide:

2. The other side, the threaded end of the screw and further down the piece of cork on the cork holder:
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knatterbock, what's the serial number on yours?
knatterbock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial number is 7215
Last week I contacted ORSI, Milano to get further details: no answer up to this day........I need a 3rd valve finger button, it's not original!

Cheers
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8600 on mine... Then there must be others out there! Good luck with the finger button.
K.T

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought same model. Probably late model.
there is no engraving , different 3rd trigger. it looks like new.

according to japanese website(http://uvhbbq1m.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2014-05-05-39) woody Shaw plays special model, named "meazzi spectro saund"

to translate to English

”This is legendary horn MEAZZI SPECTRO SAUND which Woody Shaw had been played this horn regularly.
It is extremely small production volume. meazzi is italian instrumental maker.arround the valve is almost conn connstellation. ”

What I bought this time is a bit different.

but My meazzi has not arrived yet, reach within a few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: