• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds 3 Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks, I got an old Olds 3 mouthpiece with a 1946 Olds Super from my father-in-law. Does anyone know the specs on this piece or know where I might find them? I've looked around some and can't find specs on the mouthpieces. Thanks...
Greg
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Very tight blowing mouthpiece. Small cup/diameter and blows sharp. Helps with range but for these reasons; can't imagine who would want to use it.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for grins, I played it in a 2 1/2 hour rehearsal last night that consisted of mostly classically oriented music. I found it a little tight at first, but it was quite comfortable to play on, and once I backed off a little, I found it quite easy to play on from ppp to ff. I didn't notice any tendency to play sharp, and the rim cushion is quite comfortable for my chops.

Usually when I play a smaller diameter piece with a shallower cup, I play VERY bright, and my lips simply blow into the cup (swelling) and quit buzzing after a little while. No high notes, no low notes, everything just shuts off. With this piece, I was able to play my entire pitiful range all evening, and with a nice round tone both on my Mambo and on the Olds. Even the low notes were there in full force at the end of the evening even though it has a shallow cup (I have a low A in one piece at the very end that's totally exposed). Go figure. There must be something about the rim cushion and the bite of the rim that makes it work for me. I'll try playing it some more just to make sure last night wasn't a fluke.

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: