• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Pipedream or Realistic Hope?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I began playing the trumpet in June of 2009. I thought I was too old to learn, but I was wrong. I have developed a nice clear tone and everything seems coming together for me. I still need more work on the upper register, but I can play up to D# with musicality. Of course, some days are better than others.

My bit of advice would be practice long tones -- expending all your breath on each note and focus on making a beautiful trumpet (cornet) sound, not just hitting high notes.

Best of luck!

PS Listen to a lot of trumpet/cornet music and music in general. For me, this is the best way to develop my playing style and play with more finesse.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Vega-Lux

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HornnOOb wrote:

My bit of advice would be practice long tones -- expending all your breath on each note and focus on making a beautiful trumpet (cornet) sound, not just hitting high notes.

Thank you HornnOOb-- I am playing long tones and trying to expend my breath as I work through my embouchure builder book. Some days I am liking my cornet tone in my limited register. I am happy that I can detect small improvements each week in the past couple of months since I started my comeback.

HornnOOb wrote:

PS Listen to a lot of trumpet/cornet music and music in general. For me, this is the best way to develop my playing style and play with more finesse.

Until the beginning of this year, I used to be pretty knowledgeable about current events from listening to radio news and talk shows while driving. However, the past couple of months, with all of my trumpet and cornet listening, I am arriving at my destinations, jazzed and happier, even if less informed!
INTJ-disable
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vega-Lux wrote:
INTJ wrote:
...I decided I wouldn't stick with it if I couldn't at least play a High C. That happened almost immediately, though it was several years before I owned that note. Today I play lead trumpet in a community jazz band...

Hi Blaine,

Thanks for sharing your inspirational story!

What would you say was the key during your comeback, to getting up above the staff?

I'm still struggling inside the staff lines, but I am just a few weeks into learning the roll-in technique of The Balanced Embouchure, and I am making very small steps. I keep trying to remind myself to be patient and to enjoy the journey.

Marc

I learned how to use tongue arch. From low to high: OOOh, AAAH, EEE. IHHH. When I figured out how to make the "IHHH" arch the upper range came in nicely.
Vega-Lux

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INTJ wrote:

I learned how to use tongue arch. From low to high: OOOh, AAAH, EEE. IHHH. When I figured out how to make the "IHHH" arch the upper range came in nicely.

Blaine, could you please share whether this approach is connected to any particular teaching method or practice books that I might track down?

Grazie !

Marc
Norseman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I will recommend Greg Spence's free video lessons at

http://www.mysterytomastery.com

Lot of interesting inputs

Good luck!!
from
Norseman
Linda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: guess what? Reply with quote

Since I bought my Shilke B6 last year whilst I was ill, I have had to go back to work-full time. I have two children, 2 dogs a goldfish and at work am in charge of 5 people and a legal business.

I retired from partnership last week. Just too tired. So have picked the Schilke up again. Scary. Am working on Arbans, Scholssberg and blues scales. I can't get above top C, but at least now theres hope at the end of the tunnell.

I will get lessons.
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great decision, Linda. Go for it. Enjoy the lessons, practicing, and performing.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the mouthpiece choice can make a big difference here, too.

I played a Bach 1 1/4C long ago; maybe should have been on something different in the first place, but it was probably the right thing at the time, so on to today...

Today, a 7C works just fine for me. I have about a 3 octave range and the "dreaded rim" provides good security and accurate and precise articulation. I myself like the grip or bite it has, or whatever you call that sharp edge. If you are using a lot of pressure, that rim will let you know, and I think that is the trouble a lot of people have with it.

The cup is big enough if your embouchure doesn't collapse into the cup and you don't have a lot of lip intrusion. I like the depth and shape of the cup also.

Practice is necessary...practice makes habit...perfect practice makes perfect...in other words, watch out for how the habit formation process can work, because every time you pick the horn up, habits are being formed and solidified.

Best regards...
Vega-Lux

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Pawn Shop Stories Reply with quote

Linda wrote:
...I retired from partnership last week. Just too tired. So have picked the Schilke up again. Scary. Am working on Arbans, Scholssberg and blues scales. I can't get above top C, but at least now theres hope at the end of the tunnell.

Good luck on your comeback, Linda!

I can relate to being tired. Here it is after 11:00 pm and I did not practice my cornet yet, due to getting home late from my job and making dinner, and downloading photos from my recent trip, etc...

I was down in Pensacola Florida helping my elderly aunts and uncle and cousins with sprucing up a family property that we are putting on the real estate market.

There was a pawn shop a few blocks from the Holiday Inn where I was staying, and I had a feeling I might find something interesting in there. As soon as I walked in, there was a sparkling Blessing Trumpet front and center that was in good condition. I debated for a few days whether or not to purchase what would have been my first trumpet, but on the last day, my will power held and logic said I should put the $199 toward a better horn further down the road if I show myself to be serious about my comeback.

The Blessing trumpet case had a sticker from Schmidt's music store, which was located in the old downtown area, so since I had a little extra time on the way to the airport, I stopped by and played a Yamaha cornet for comparison. As a thank you to them, and for good brass karma, I purchased a Jazz Icons DVD of two Chet Baker performances: Live from Belgium in 1964 and a live show in Norway in 1979. The 12-page booklet had a fairly comprehensive biography of Chet, including the sad episode in 1963 where he pawned his trumpet for dope money! Apparently a french musician loaned him a flugelhorn and this is what he is playing in this recorded episode from Belgium.

Incredibly, too, is the fact that he played so well, with a gaping hole where he had a missing tooth from a childhood accident. When he sings "Time after Time" you can see the large gap clearly.

With noise-cancelling headphones secured into my Macbook, I escaped the environment of the United Airlines sardine can flight, the engine roar and turbulence, and time-traveled to a smoke-filled TV studio in Belgium where Chet Baker coaxed soulful phrases from his pipes and encouraged me toward the dream of playing lyrical music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: