• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C G Benge or Selmer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: C G Benge or Selmer Reply with quote

Just wondering if any ex CG students are aware of whether or not Claude had a preference of Benge or Selmer trumpets and if he played either with his orchestra.

Just a thought as I was finishing my systematic routine for the day!
Eric
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am by no means an authority on this; however, from reading other post, Claude went to Selmer after Benge refused to make him a horn with a .470 bore (the CG Benge has a .468 bore). I am sure someone with more information will chime in.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besson Meha
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
cfkid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a Burbank 6*G, which is a horn made by Kanstul with the same mandrels of the Benge. I take lessons from Bruce Haag and he swears it's better than both the .468 Benge and the .470 Selmer. I really thought about buying a Selmer, because I love the Bach valves, but he's talked me out of it.

The horn really plays well and can really sizzle when I push it, especially in my range studies.

You may want to check on the Burbank. I believe Bruce is a dealer and can get the horn for you.

Mark
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, im actually not looking to buy as I have a CG Benge which I love, it was just a silly thought I had wondering if Claude had a favourite out of the two horns he designed
Regards
Eric
Maybe I shouldn't post my silly thoughts!!
trptdoc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude would say his favorite was the Selmer CG 470 bore. He never played it professionally. Benge made a 468 bore CG for him but he wanted the bigger bore. Interesting because his design came from the Besson Meha he played during his career. I have a Benge CG and 2 Selmer CGs and have to say I find the big bore Selmers most versatile. A little CG heresy-- I also love my Shew Z horn by Yamaha which is a much smaller bore but with the reverse leadpipe and step bore it feels pretty much the same as the big CG to me and boy does it light up!
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
Besson Meha

+1

I got play this horn, one of the best Bessons I've ever played. What the CG horns are modeled after, to whatever extent the manufacturers felt like doing.
https://yourbrass.com/
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
homebilly wrote:
Besson Meha

+1

I got play this horn, one of the best Bessons I've ever played. What the CG horns are modeled after, to whatever extent the manufacturers felt like doing.

One caveat: Individual Bessons were as different as the night is the day. There were the good, the bad and the ugly (and sometimes particular combinations of the three).

To the OP: As soon as his CG Selmer was available on the market, Claude actively promoted it and sought to get all his students, including those of us with CG Benges, to play the Selmer. This made sense, since the Selmer was his later design and was built exactly to his specs. But the Benge CG is a great horn, and in fact, I think more people prefer it than the Selmer (I am on the fence on this one, vacillating back and forth between my CG Benges and my CG Selmers - if not for the fact that I LOVE my Burbank Benge 6X built with the CG-ordered .464" bell tube, I don't know what I'd do!).

Through most of his career Claude played his beloved PreWWII French Besson Meha .470" bore trumpet. Once the Benge was created and marketed, I think he was still doing some playing and conducting and used it at the end of his main career (I am not positive of this). And when he put his band back together and played some dates in the early '80's, he was by that time playing his Selmer CG model and CG Personal mouthpiece.

Concerning what's right for you, you should try them both and see which one you like better for the kind of playing you do. You can buy one of each off eBay or www.horntrader.com and have money left over compared to buying a new horn. Then if you want, you can sell the runner up, or keep it as a back up horn.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
if not for the fact that I LOVE my Burbank Benge 6X built with the CG-ordered .464" bell tube, I don't know what I'd do!).

Have you ever had the chance to play the Kanstul-made Burbank 6, or 6*G mentioned in this thread? Seeing how familiar you are with the original, and no doubt a good one at that, your review of this horn would be great ...
cfkid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
if not for the fact that I LOVE my Burbank Benge 6X built with the CG-ordered .464" bell tube, I don't know what I'd do!).

Have you ever had the chance to play the Kanstul-made Burbank 6, or 6*G mentioned in this thread? Seeing how familiar you are with the original, and no doubt a good one at that, your review of this horn would be great ...

I'll gladly trade John my Burbank for his Selmer for a couple of weeks so he can "try it out." I'm sure he'll jump at the chance.

Mark
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son has been playing my CG Selmer for the last six years, but six months ago he left on a 2-year LDS church mission and had to leave the horn behind. I have been playing it for the last couple of weeks for old times' sake. Starting to remember all the things I loved about this horn and trying to remember why I bought a Bach. I'm sure he'll want the CG horn back (he plans to pick it up again after his mission), but I'm going to enjoy it while I can. It is incredibly responsive, flexible, and lightweight. It can play bright or dark, depending on how I blow, and sounds great with nearly every mouthpiece in my bag.

In 1984 I met Dominic Spera at a jazz camp and he tried to buy my CG Selmer from me after playing it for a few minutes because I had "one of the good ones" (serial #284). He told me how Claude had bragged about how solid the high A was on that horn, and then demonstrated--BAM!.

It took me many more years to learn how to play that high, but the high A on this horn SLOTS! It's real squirrely on the Bach. I have more endurance on the Selmer.

Glad I didn't sell it to Mr. Spera. He offered me five hundred bucks right on the spot (which is what I paid for the horn new in 1983). I don't ever plan to sell it.

Maybe I'll see if I can get my son another horn when he comes back. He never liked my Bach.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is an LDS church mission?
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

latter day saints?
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
What is an LDS church mission?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (colloquially known as the Mormons). My son is serving a two-year proselyting and service mission in the Rochester New York area, working mostly with Spanish speakers.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
latter day saints?

You are correct, sir!
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has your son studied any history? It usually doesn't work out well for those being proselytized to. What makes him think these people need his proselytizing?
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Has your son studied any history? It usually doesn't work out well for those being proselytized to. What makes him think these people need his proselytizing?

Personal conviction and the desire to share what has brought him a lot of happiness. And I'll leave it at that so as not to rankle the moderators.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Just tossing a certain perspective out there.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: the Reply with quote

Craig, yes..The best sermon you'll ever see is the one you see when the Son shines forth, in a believer.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ^ Ok, but is that with a Benge, or a Selmer?

Spent some time listening to Horn Trader vids last night. Good player, and a pretty valid comparison of the differences between some horns I've never had the chance to meet, including any CG. Especially helpful when I can also compare that to the same guy playing in at least a similar recording situation on horns of a model I know very well. I think the CG's sound great. (Now, was that one "that one good Benge?")
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: