• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yep, he rolls in to play high....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaryAnn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Yep, he rolls in to play high.... Reply with quote

Just for funzies last night after rehearsal I asked the 1st horn on my left, who is in his mid-sixties and still has an extremely strong high range, to play me a high A, freeze his chops, take the horn off his face, and show me his embouchure. Then I asked him to do the same thing two octaves lower. Yup: rolled in for the high note and rolled more out for the low note. I explained that in all the years of lessons I took that NO ONE told me about rolling the lips, instead the usual "use more air and relax" mystery school routine. He said, "Oh Farkas talks about this in his book." I said, nowhere does he say anything about rolling in. He may have been trying to describe what he does but he never said it.
Then I put the horn on my face and blew a few high Cs just to demonstrate that this thing I could never even approach when we were playing 1st and 2nd in the orchestra, was now easy for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: