• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Legitimate Grad School Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchs3d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Legitimate Grad School Question Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm planning on graduating in a year. My grad school auditions are coming up next winter. Here is a list of the schools I'm planning on applying for:

Rice University
Colorado State
Eastman
Colburn
Indiana
Baylor
...maybe one more...

I've already spoken to several of the professors and I feel confident that I would do well on the playing portion of my audition. However, my grades suck (IMHO, I have a 3.4 GPA). Supposing I was good enough of a musician, what schools would auto-reject me just on my grades?
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt any of those would auto reject you with a 3.4.

Every school publishes averages of admission data. I'm sure you can find out what the average GPA is of accepted (and matriculating) students.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.4 isn't bad.
If you can play you'll get in.

With most schools, you don't have to worry about something much greater than a 3.25GPA. You won't be auto-rejected from your list of schools (I am fairly certain).

3.4 would probably not work for MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, etc.
mchs3d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, I appreciate the responses.
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Legitimate Grad School Question Reply with quote

mchs3d wrote:
Hi guys, I'm planning on graduating in a year. My grad school auditions are coming up next winter. Here is a list of the schools I'm planning on applying for:

Rice University
Colorado State
Eastman
Colburn
Indiana
Baylor
...maybe one more...

I've already spoken to several of the professors and I feel confident that I would do well on the playing portion of my audition. However, my grades suck (IMHO, I have a 3.4 GPA). Supposing I was good enough of a musician, what schools would auto-reject me just on my grades?

For Eastman admission, look at the University of Rochester admission requirements. Even if Eastman accepts you, University of Rochester also has to admit you and their standards can be pretty tough. A GPA 3.4 could mean a lot of things depending on where you are from. It should not hurt you too badly, but study hard for the SAT, ACT, or whatever other admissions tests they are offering these days. These are expensive schools, higher test scores will put you in a better place for scholarship offers if you audition well.
mchs3d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Legitimate Grad School Question Reply with quote

CRoberts8 wrote:
mchs3d wrote:

Rice University
Colorado State
Eastman
Colburn
Indiana
Baylor
...maybe one more...

For Eastman admission, look at the University of Rochester admission requirements. Even if Eastman accepts you, University of Rochester also has to admit you and their standards can be pretty tough. A GPA 3.4 could mean a lot of things depending on where you are from. It should not hurt you too badly, but study hard for the SAT, ACT, or whatever other admissions tests they are offering these days. These are expensive schools, higher test scores will put you in a better place for scholarship offers if you audition well.

I won't be taking the SAT or ACT. This is graduate school.
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Legitimate Grad School Question Reply with quote

mchs3d wrote:
CRoberts8 wrote:
mchs3d wrote:

Rice University
Colorado State
Eastman
Colburn
Indiana
Baylor
...maybe one more...

I won't be taking the SAT or ACT. This is graduate school.

You still have to get into University of Rochester, though a 3.4 should not hold you back. Pretty sure no eyebrows will be raised from the university unless you have under a 3.0 grade point average. It also depends on where your grade shortcomings are.

If you have mostly B's and a few A's, you should not worry for any of the schools, but if you have a bunch of grades of D or F in music classes with A's elsewhere, you may need to have some concern. If that is the case, I would recommend including a letter explaining those grades to ease any concern from admissions.
mchs3d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my "bad" grades are coming from general ed classes. I should be doing better. My plan is to step up my game this year.
KPaultpt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your academic status does not scream negligence with that GPA. If you have a solid audition the school will take you. I got into a dual degree at a conservatory/ivy league for my masters with a worse GPA.
mchs3d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good, I feel better. I have neglected studying to practice more. Maybe not a good choice, but it makes sense if I'm a music major.
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 3.4 GPA is respectable. Graduate schools require a 3.0 or better to be considered and you need a 3.0 or better to graduate. What's more important is your capacity as a player.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beats the heck outta neglecting practicing to study more. Why hasn't anyone come up with the time management skill of fabricating a 25 hour clock? Seriously, all the studies point to the fact that people are generally most productive for short bursts. Applying this would mean shorter duration of ... almost everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: