• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

AdvanceNotice! Mahler 5 Boston Sym April 19,8ET.5PT arch1yr

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: AdvanceNotice! Mahler 5 Boston Sym April 19,8ET.5PT arch1yr Reply with quote

Boston Symphony, Dutoit

Saturday, Apr. 19th 8pm Eastern, 7 Central, 5 PT....on Sunday at 1am London, 2am CET at 8am Beijing, 9am Tokyo, 10am Sydney, Noon NZ here:

If the player doesn't work, look for MORE WAYS TO LISTEN in the bottom center of the screen.
http://www.wgbh.org/audioPlayers/classicalNewEngland.cfm

Lorin Maazel conducts symphonies by two of history's greatest composers: Mozart's Symphony No. 38, the "Prague," and the Symphony No. 5 by Gustav Mahler.

Last edited by alexwill on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm sure the Boston concert will be wonderful, it has no chance of reaching the heights of greatness that are achieved by the true epitome of the Mahler 5 experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Nix6nvl3Q
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reminder that this show is Saturday April 19. It will be archived for one year if you miss it.
Boston Symphony, Dutoit

Saturday, Apr. 19th 8pm Eastern, 7 Central, 5 PT....on Sunday at 1am London, 2am CET at 8am Beijing, 9am Tokyo, 10am Sydney, Noon NZ here:

If the player doesn't work, look for MORE WAYS TO LISTEN in the bottom center of the screen.
http://www.wgbh.org/audioPlayers/classicalNewEngland.cfm

Charles Dutoit conducts symphonies by two of history's greatest composers: Mozart's Symphony No. 38, the "Prague," and the Symphony No. 5 by Gustav Mahler.
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

archived for one year here....

As is mentioned elsewhere on this forum, Tom Rolfs gets to come to the front of the stage for a bow after Mahler 5.

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/The-Boston-Symphony-Orchestra-in-Concert-1641/episodes/Dutoit-Conducts-Mozart-and-Mahler-51586
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody explain the more than two thousand posts of Alexwill to me?
Is it advertising? I really don't know what to do with it.
PopPop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Advance notice Mahler 5 Reply with quote

AlexWill provides the trumpet community an incredible service by being on top of the world of live music performance and informing us in a very timely way. I, and I'm sure many others, very much appreciate his efforts.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are inspired to post the fifth one in 4 years or so.
But I am not doubting the good intentions of Alexwill but I don't see how it all fits in a trumpetforum.
Same for software to make Lp's aso digital.
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
But I am not doubting the good intentions of Alexwill but I don't see how it all fits in a trumpetforum.

What do you mean, man? He's posting links to performances for us to listen to online that we otherwise would most likely never get to hear. I'm not sure why this is confusing for you. Thanks to Alex, I had the pleasure of listening to this performance of Mahler 5 by the BSO on my way home today.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
delano wrote:

What do you mean, man? He's posting links to performances for us to listen to online that we otherwise would most likely never get to hear. I'm not sure why this is confusing for you. Thanks to Alex, I had the pleasure of listening to this performance of Mahler 5 by the BSO on my way home today.

I agree. What could possibly be bad about posting links to musical performances that we can all enjoy if we so wish?

You'd rather see a thread where someone asks "what size mouthpiece should I buy" followed by 4 or 5 pages of "ask your teacher" and "get a 3C" replies for the 4 millionth time instead?
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I rarely watch alexwill's many linked videos, but I do every now and again, and I think it's a great service to the TH community. Delano, if you don't like it, well, okay, you're entitled to your opinion. I think it's great though, and would respectfully suggest that, if you don't like it, you could just not read his/her posts in future.
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Alexwill Reply with quote

I also believe Alexwill is providing a great service to the trumpet herald community. Orchestras rarely record these days so broadcast performances are sometimes the only way to hear the great trumpet playing going on out there. It is easy enough to not click on his threads if the subject does not interest you. Thanks for all of your hard work!

Adam
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really trie to understand, but I had some problems linking some threads to a trumpetforum.
I see two lines. One is: it's a good service for the TH members. But a really good thread about bassguitarists can be a very good service for some TH-members but still I don't see the connection with the trumpet.
Second: TH-members seem to listen to symphonies for the trumpetplayers involved.
OK, I have to admit you all are right, I am wrong but my lousy excuse is: I could not imagine a thing like that. Thanks anyway.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
I really trie to understand, but I had some problems linking some threads to a trumpetforum.
I see two lines. One is: it's a good service for the TH members. But a really good thread about bassguitarists can be a very good service for some TH-members but still I don't see the connection with the trumpet.

Okay, I'm going to make a guess, and please don't take this wrong if I am incorrect. It seems from your posts that you are having difficulty understanding why posts like this are relevant to trumpet players.

In this particular case, it's about a performance of Mahler 5. One of the most famous orchestral works that features (extremely prominently) the principal trumpet player, as well as the section and other brass throughout. It opens with the 1st trumpet playing all alone in a very famous opening followed by a lot more solo playing throughout.

Asking why Mahler 5 could be relevant to trumpet players is analogous to asking why a lumber yard is relevant to a carpenter.

There are of course other orchestral works that are widely known to the vast majority -- but apparently not all -- trumpet players. Pictures at an Exhibition is another "feature" work for the trumpet player. There are numerous threads already on TH discussing which orchestral pieces are most challenging for trumpet players, so I won't even begin to try and enumerate them here again.

If you are primarily a jazz trumpeter, I can see how you might not be even remotely interested in this, but I'd suggest too narrow a listening view into trumpet performance is possibly more harmful than good. I think it's obviously good for all of us to be exposed to great playing outside our main interest areas, even if only on an occasional basis. I'll probably never play in a mariachi band for example, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating when it's done very well, even if it doesn't make my playlist very often.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Mahler 5, there is a big tradition in Mahler with the KCO in Amsterdam. And I know the trumpet part, but:

http://www.kusc.org/laphil/index.aspx

Nice service, nice music but more of piano, singing and so on.

BTW good service also (posted at the thread about the Edwards Genesis):

MaileDetty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Hair extensions and hairpieces really can help to improve the looking of people and help to change them a lot hair extensions and hairpieces if choosing the right type and right style of hair wigs for you, of course that you will look and become more and more attractive and also buy cheap hair wigs now is easy as you can just get the ideal style that you want online at online shops now. I have just buy me a wig styles and it is perfect.

Sorry, sorry, only joking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: