• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

More swelling when switching to smaller mouthpieces

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: More swelling when switching to smaller mouthpieces Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed that their lips get more swollen after a long gig on smaller pieces than they did when they were using larger pieces. I have noticed that after a long gig my lips get swollen more often than i remember it happening when i played bigger mouthpieces. I used to play 1.5C (Bach) and now use 00c, (curry precision). it may also be that i am not getting enough time on the horn between gigs, but i don't really remember this happening when i used the bigger stuff with similar breaks between gigs.

just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

thanks

tom
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom

When you say smaller are you referring to the inner diameter or the cup depth or both? It may be that you are swelling the same and that you just bottom on a shallow piece where you didn't on a deeper piece. On a smaller diameter piece your working area is focused over less lip surface area which may be causing some of your issues as well.

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwoodard wrote:
Tom

When you say smaller are you referring to the inner diameter or the cup depth or both? It may be that you are swelling the same and that you just bottom on a shallow piece where you didn't on a deeper piece. On a smaller diameter piece your working area is focused over less lip surface area which may be causing some of your issues as well.

Bob,
I ID is a lot smaller and the cup is a little shallower on the 00C, I do use a 00M on the bar gigs i play, which is shallower. I have noticed that i do seem to have more lip intrusion into the cup now, an after effect of the focused aperture, (one of the reasons i went smaller) , which you would think would be the other way around, i should have had more on the bigger ID cups. Hopefully more time on the horn can resolve this, it is annoying though as it sometimes takes me a couple of days to feel right. Perhaps i need to start warming down more effectively.

tom

Last edited by deleted_user_680e93b on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwoodard wrote:
It may be that you are swelling the same and that you just bottom on a shallow piece where you didn't on a deeper piece.

This was my initial thought too.

Not necessarily limited to bottoming out, though... a narrower cup that's just about wide enough on a fresh lip could become uncomfortable and articulation could go downhill as the lips swell.

Either way, it could simply be that the swelling is more noticeable on the smaller piece.

That is a massive change in ID - are you sure its not just a touch too narrow?
Not being especially familiar with Curries I had to look it up, but wow, thats a massive change - almost 1.5C to 12/17C (in one go?) or Warburton 2 or 3 to a 9 or 10... huge change in width - do you really need it that narrow?
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
bwoodard wrote:
It may be that you are swelling the same and that you just bottom on a shallow piece where you didn't on a deeper piece.

This was my initial thought too.

Not necessarily limited to bottoming out, though... a narrower cup that's just about wide enough on a fresh lip could become uncomfortable and articulation could go downhill as the lips swell.

Either way, it could simply be that the swelling is more noticeable on the smaller piece.

That is a massive change in ID - are you sure its not just a touch too narrow?
Not being especially familiar with Curries I had to look it up, but wow, thats a massive change - almost 1.5C to 12/17C (in one go?) or Warburton 2 or 3 to a 9 or 10... huge change in width - do you really need it that narrow?

I did the change over the course of 4 or 5 months, gradually getting smaller, basically dropping 2 id sizes every few weeks. I was the typical open aperture player who had to jam the piece into the lips to close it. Now i play with a more closed aperture that i blow into to open it. Tons less pressure too, All that aside i love the sound i have with the smaller pieces. It works well for the type of stuff i play mostly. since i have a lot of currys in assorted sizes, perhaps i'll move up a little and see what happens, but don't really want to start switching around a lot.

thanks

tom

PS - was wondering really if some of the guys here using the smaller stuff ever had this issue and if so, did it resolve itself with more playing or did they need to do something more to fix it.

thanks again,

tom

Last edited by deleted_user_680e93b on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: More swelling when switching to smaller mouthpieces Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that their lips get more swollen after a long gig on smaller pieces than they did when they were using larger pieces. I have noticed that after a long gig my lips get swollen more often than i remember it happening when i played bigger mouthpieces. I used to play 1.5C (Bach) and now use 00c, (curry precision). it may also be that i am not getting enough time on the horn between gigs, but i don't really remember this happening when i used the bigger stuff with similar breaks between gigs.

just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

thanks

tom

Hi Tom

I experienced this when I tried a Denis Wick 5 cornet mouthpiece, with a 16mm cup diameter. Since this is a very deep brass band cornet mouthpiece with a low alpha angle, and I can play the Denis Wick 4, 3 and 2, I came to the conclusion that I just cannot play a cup diameter this small.

I initially found clean articulations more difficult. This increased to the point that I was barely able to produce a note at all, after only 30 mins of playing. It was if owing to the normal amount of lip swelling, my lips had swollen to the point that with this small cup diameter, they were jammed so tightly together, than I was barely able to produce a note. Quite probably this is what simply happened.

I may very well be wrong, but I believe that the cup diameter of the Curry 00C is too small for you. I have looked on the Curry website, and the cup diameter is given as 15.20mm or 0.600" (hence the OO size presumably). I would suggest trying maybe the 30C.

I really hope that this helps.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi louise,

i had played a 30C for sometime actually, before moving down to the 00C.
the .600 Id is really small i realize and i played fairly well on the 30C. I have found that my sound is so much more focused on the 00C. I switch out the cups for different situations. I use 00M, 00C, 00BC and 00TC to change my tone color. I have been giving it some thought and i really thinking its just lack of time being put it in. So when i do get a long gig i just don't have enough time invested on my lip so the swelling is inevitable. Work schedule makes it harder to find time to play but i'll have to work it out. BTW, I have just as big and full a sound on these small pieces as i use to on the 1.5C and it's alot easier playing above the staff for me now. Anyway, thank you very much for your ideas and comments on my post, Very much appreciated.

regards
Tom
brassjunky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think swelling is more noticeable on smaller pieces. I haven't found they cause more swelling. I play on pretty small piece and on the odd occasion I get some swelling it is uncomfortable to play - my lips get a bit trapped and don't vibrate freely. I have found playing loud above the staff on my shallow lead piece helpful in getting my lips back out the cup.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
hi louise,

i had played a 30C for sometime actually, before moving down to the 00C.
the .600 Id is really small i realize and i played fairly well on the 30C. I have found that my sound is so much more focused on the 00C. I switch out the cups for different situations. I use 00M, 00C, 00BC and 00TC to change my tone color.

Hi Tom

I understand. Thank you very much for the further clarification.

I have been giving it some thought and i really thinking its just lack of time being put it in. So when i do get a long gig i just don't have enough time invested on my lip so the swelling is inevitable.

I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure about this one. Presumably if a player is using excessive pressure to try to get through a long gig, I can understand this causing excess lip swelling, but I was always under impression that some lip swelling is usual and inevitable, and is owing to ?increased blood supply to the lips whilst playing. If some lip swelling is usual, unavoidable, and present even in the very top players, if a mouthpiece becomes too small once this swelling occurs, I can't see how any extra time on the piece will make any difference. Please remember however that I am just an amateur player, so I could be very wrong on this.

Work schedule makes it harder to find time to play but i'll have to work it out. BTW, I have just as big and full a sound on these small pieces as i use to on the 1.5C and it's alot easier playing above the staff for me now.

I fully understand. What affect is this swelling having on your endurance? If you are getting through long gigs fine, and this is more of a discomfort factor after the gig, I'm guessing that this sadly is the negative payoff for the easier upper register during the gig.

Anyway, thank you very much for your ideas and comments on my post, Very much appreciated.

You are extremely welcome. I really hope that I have been of some help. What may be helpful, would be if somebody more knowledgeable than me, could chime in re lip swelling, whether a certain amount is normal, unavoidable etc.?

regards

Tom

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise,

This problem occurs usually the next day after a gig, I can play all night long, but the next day it shows itself by my lack of ability to play above G on top of the staff, The lips just don't vibrate well the next day, They feel stiff, can't see that they are swollen though, So i'm really thinking that i need to warm down for quite a while before putting the horn away, which isn't always easy when trying to pack up and get out of the Bar or Hall after a long night. I'll figure it out.
I was really hoping one of the guys who play the small stuff might comment. I know Lex Samu plays the really small stuff from reading his posts, I will figure it all out i suppose. I have been resting my lip more during practice and thankfully it's Ok for Easter Mass. I got asked to play a couple of pieces, doing Mouret's Rondeau on my Bb, i don't own a pic, or a C trumpet, gonna play the C trumpet part though, which only goes up to high D, Music guy just hits a button on the organ and matches the key, wish we could do that, sounds a little pic'ish when i use my 00M, A bunch of little herald things here and there during the mass. Again thanks for your ideas !!

regards

Tom
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
Louise,

This problem occurs usually the next day after a gig, I can play all night long, but the next day it shows itself by my lack of ability to play above G on top of the staff, The lips just don't vibrate well the next day, They feel stiff, can't see that they are swollen though, So i'm really thinking that i need to warm down for quite a while before putting the horn away, which isn't always easy when trying to pack up and get out of the Bar or Hall after a long night. I'll figure it out.

Hi Tom

Thank you very much for the further clarification. I understand fully. If I understand correctly, this is an issue which only occurred after your change to this size, which is why you are considering this to be related to playing a very small cup diameter, rather than simply an issue of playing on the day after a long gig.

I was really hoping one of the guys who play the small stuff might comment. I know Lex Samu plays the really small stuff from reading his posts, I will figure it all out i suppose.

Hopefully one of the guys who play the small stuff, will be able to help. To be honest, I've never experienced the issue you have, and really do not know the cause, if it only occurred following the change to this mouthpiece size.

I have been resting my lip more during practice and thankfully it's Ok for Easter Mass.

That's good to know.

I got asked to play a couple of pieces, doing Mouret's Rondeau on my Bb, i don't own a pic, or a C trumpet, gonna play the C trumpet part though, which only goes up to high D, Music guy just hits a button on the organ and matches the key, wish we could do that, sounds a little pic'ish when i use my 00M, A bunch of little herald things here and there during the mass.

I really hope that they all go well.

Again thanks for your ideas !!

You are again very welcome, although I really don't think that I have been able to be of any help.

I have one layman's idea, that I'll suggest.

Maybe this isn't specifically anything to do with mouthpiece size. Maybe your physiology results in your lips not swelling particularly whilst playing, but tending to swell afterwards and into the next day. Maybe you have always been like this, but the difference now, is that owing to having downsized your cup diameter, when you start the next day's practise with swollen lips, the mouthpiece is simply now too small for you with your lips in this swollen state. If this is the case, I can't see this mouthpiece ever being a good fit for you, unless you have a gap between every gig and practise session, long enough for this swelling to reside, or have a second larger piece with the same rim (Curry 10C, 20C or 30C for example) for the day after long gigs. This to me seems a little odd though, and it would probably make more sense (at least to me) to make the larger piece your regular mouthpiece, keeping the smaller ones for long heavy gigs, or to me personally, even more sense to upsize slightly to the point that you have the best compromise of ease of upper register and endurance on the gig, with being able to use the same mouthpiece the next day.

regards

Tom

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
BuzzFest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had the same problem. I have always played a 1C for orchestral playing, but have also felt that it is a very big mouthpiece. I tried to go down the small mouthpiece path for several months and all of what you describe happened to me as well. Not that I'm happy that this happened to you, but I'm glad to hear of someone else describing the same symptoms.

The smaller mouthpieces left little room for swelling. I constantly felt bruised and swollen the next day, always thinking that it was just a matter of time before I got acclimated. It never happened! Advice like "think bigger" or "let the mouthpiece do the work" made me hang in there and made me think I was simply not being efficient enough. Totally frustrating and scary. So, what changed?

I thought, "When was the last time I was truly comfortable and in charge of my playing?" It was when I was on bigger equipment, of course. The problem was that going right back to bigger mouthpieces felt horrible! I had to spend months working my way back but it was worth it. I now feel like my old self again and ironically the upper register feels freer and easier - as long as I'm in shape (that's the kicker). This may not apply to you - playing big mouthpieces for it's own sake. At least consider the last time you felt awesome playing the trumpet. My guess is that it's on a bigger m.p. that you're currently on.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks buzzfest and Louise for your comments, I am going to have to commit to some sort of daily routine and some consistent amount of time on the horn each day, i think that's the only way to know if its the mouthpiece size or just a matter of not being in shape lip wise. Funny though, sometimes these mouthpieces (00 size) feel almost too big to me and have been thinking about going smaller, but that's for another time.

regards,

tom
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom

You are very welcome.

Good luck with solving this.

Please keep this thread updated with your findings.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
BuzzFest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
thanks buzzfest and Louise for your comments, I am going to have to commit to some sort of daily routine and some consistent amount of time on the horn each day, i think that's the only way to know if its the mouthpiece size or just a matter of not being in shape lip wise.

Great idea... my advice, since I went through what you're going through:

1. Stay consistent - don't be tempted to try various mouthpieces, even if they're around the same size. You'd be surprised how this can mess you up.

2. Rest as much as you play - you've heard this before, but it's so true. Once you get past the point of fatigue, bad things happen like pushing into the face which can amke the problem of swelling and bruising worse.

Good luck and post your findings!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people can't play a piece as small as the Curry 00, way smaller than a Schilke 6A4a. I respect that you feel your sound is "more focused" on the microscopic ID but it's clearly at an unreasonable cost. I'd find a more modest size Curry that gives you most of the sound without the inherent problems.

And I concur that you're never going to play consistently without a well crafted daily routine.

Best of luck.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
was wondering really if some of the guys here using the smaller stuff ever had this issue and if so, did it resolve itself with more playing or did they need to do something more to fix it.

I think that on a Bach 1 you could have far more swelling, and never notice it. On a Curry 00 anything, the tiniest bit of swelling and it's a really big deal, right away.

That is a HUGE change! You want your rim to "seat" well on your teeth, nice and stable. what does that best for you? Anything in between those extremes? (Say a 20M?)
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip swelling the next day is not just about the mouthpiece. It’s an overuse injury. It happens due to many reasons. The result is that the body is not able to repair itself and you have a breakdown, therefore, more and more damage can occur without proper rest or solving the root of the problem. The swelling is the result, what is the root?

The match between the man, mouthpiece, and horn should be looked at. The music is too demanding or you have to manipulate. Too much pressure on the face leads to swelling. Proper use of core or core engagement can prevent much of it. A system that is too open and you don’t get enough acoustical feedback causing you to push beyond your limits. A mouthpiece rim/mismatch or condition that cuts off blood flow and damages tissue. This condition can be managed to a point. If out of control it will take a lot of work to repair the damage.

Gary Radtke
www.grmouthpieces.com
INTJ-disable
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a small MP. It's a Wedge and the narrow side is less than a Curry 00 while the tall size is around a Bach 6. I almost never get a "stiff lip" anymore but I have been working very hard to play with minimum tension and to never play unless my chops are loose and free.

A small MP is very good at exposing any tension in our playing, while a larger MP hides it. I downsized all the way from a Curry 70 to what I play now, and each step along the way yeilded an improvement. It wasn't range that improved, but my flexibility improved with no loss in the quality of my sound. I went slowly with this downsizing, play on the same MP for several months before moving smaller.

Interstingly, I am not able to play a shallower cup. I use a medium shallow "D" cup and it fits me well. I bottom out on an "E" cup. I also have "C" and "B" cup MPs in my rim. When I play the "B" cup I have to watch my lip intrusion if I am going to go back to the "D" cup without taking a break.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all the responders to my question about swelling. I appreciate it immensely that you took some time to add to this discussion. So yesterday i played in church for the first time ever. It went very well, I used my Curry 00C piece as it is what i call my middle of the road piece. I warmed up nicely before getting to church, just quiet breath attack stuff and never pushed it. At church I continued my warm up with a homemade renuzit whispa mute. I played from low C to high D above the staff during the course of the Mass. Everything went fine, sound was clear and articulations were crisp. So what i'm getting at is that i really think the size of my pieces are fine. I have what i would say is a thin top lip and don't really have a problem with the lip vibrating over such a small surface, As i stated earlier i almost seem to have more lip in the cup now than before i switched. I am really thinking that this has to be my lack of preparation. I get gigs here and there, between those gigs i can go for days without touching the horn, this ofcourse is not ideal, but currently my work situation prevents any kind of real steady practice time. I am working to resolve this as well. Some days i can put on a piece and the lips are vibrating so freely that i easily play above high C. Its intoxicating up there, and i guess i must be over doing it, resulting in an Overuse situation. thus, the swelling, Rest as much as you play is a tough one for me as well. I am going to stick with my 00 curry's and really concentrate on all the reasons i switched to them, Ease of play, flexibility thru the horn, and tight focused sound, alot less pressure. I have started to do a fascimile of leadpipe buzzing, which i use to do with regularity. I cut a length of reinforced hose to the length of my leadpipe, it almost perfectly matched the inner diameter of my leadpipe, and i keep it and one of my pieces with me at all times now, i am doing it in the car, at work, at home, anywhere i can really, Just shorts little buzzez, a few minutes at a time. The lips vibrate like crazy and i can get in a little work and keep the lips focused, time will tell if this helps. Nothing can beat time on the horn, but i just don't have that luxury anymore.
Once again, thanks for all your comments.

regards,

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: