• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taking a Break to Start Over?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops wrote:
60 years off wouldn't give you a clean slate.

A break doesn't replace a bad habit. It just leaves it there waiting for the next opportunity to act.

Your subconscious mind has to be reprogrammed. No break does this. Only you actively changing things can do that.

On average it takes 66 days of doing the right thing to replace a habit.

aljohn29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man sometimes some time off will do you some good.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been taking a couple of months off to the purpose of changing my embouchure. i am playing cat anderson exercises and otherwise no playing. as these exercises progress the playing will be phased in.
the 'cat' routine, for the normal person with an overbite, moves the lower jaw forward and gives a different point of contact. i want this more forward position ingrained so that when practice resumes it's an ingrained thing and the new normal.
funny thing i must be at about doc's 66 days. i didn't memorialize the start date.
the new embouchure has the lips on the same plane rather than having the lower lip back and tucking under the upper.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a 10 year break and managed to retain most all my bad habits. Only new habits, with lots of kicking and screaming, will replace old habits. I concur that your best hope is to get with a pro teacher, even if it's only for a while to try and get you on a better path.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: