• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lips Slurs: Easy or Hard?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are lip slurs hard or easy?
Hard
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Easy
81%
 81%  [ 30 ]
Don't Know
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 37

horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Lips Slurs: Easy or Hard? Reply with quote

Are lip slurs supposed to be hard or easy?

I think they are a perfect warmup. Start low and slow and build speed and range. Use the air to push through and do the work, don't force it by squeezing the lips. When you are done with about 30 minutes of lip slurs like this, you know exactly where all the notes on the horn are that day. I feel strong and solid and ready for real work.

Talking with some other players in groups I'm in, I find most people have the opposite impression. They think lip slurs are hard and taxing on the chops, and that it would be crazy to do that to yourself in your warmup (especially on gig days). I've even heard the phrase, "I use them to strengthen the chops."

So what does Trumpet Herald think? (Maybe this should be a poll...if I can figure that out) Are lip slurs hard or easy?
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lip slurs" is kind of a misnomer. It really involves the whole apparatus, especially the tongue level and the wind. When I was a kid I was told that lip slurs were great, so I started practicing them--using just my lips, which caused a lot of chop fatigue and smiley-face embouchure. When I figured out (by accident) that my chops shouldn't have to move so much, I started using the tongue almost instinctively. Later teachers I had confirmed this for me. I like the term "flexibilities" without the emphasis on the word "lip."
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know how to vote, here's my answer:

hard to master
easy when mastered
Retired Air Force Bandsman
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are probably aware from my post, I completely agree with you. I was just trying to use the most common term. I know some people use the term "tongue level exercises" as well (as flexibility studies).
brassjunky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose "don't know" because I think it depends. I notice my trumpet students find them hard as they move into the mid upper register but they get easier as they develop more embouchure strength. I also notice that slurs are easier on some horn-mouthpiece combinations than others. Some horns lock in the notes strongly requiring more effort to slur between and some mouthpieces, particularly flatter rims make it harder. Narrower, rounder rims make it easier.
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything that is hard becomes easy with enough correct practice.
jhopkins7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use flexibility studies as a part of my warmup as well, albeit "easy" ones. I would say that slurs in general are not difficult, and the mechanisms needed to execute them properly are essential components to align daily as part of the warmup. Building the foundation to do this, however...not so easy.

I'm most successful when I keep in mind that all of the moving parts (air, tongue, chops) must be steady and balanced to achieve accurate and fluid slurs. So...fairly easy to execute, but fairly hard to learn in the first place.
Bach 229 C
Warburton mpcs
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taught using all the correct terminology, but nobody taught me that slurring and even changing registers really shouldn't require much movement in the face until I was well into my 40's. If a picture is worth 1,000 words, watch either Alison Balsam or Tine Thing Helseth play. Their embouchures exhibit approximately zero motion, and they both certainly make anything sound easy. I don't think that's a coincidence ...
Harky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhopkins7 wrote:
I use flexibility studies as a part of my warmup as well, albeit "easy" ones. I would say that slurs in general are not difficult, and the mechanisms needed to execute them properly are essential components to align daily as part of the warmup. Building the foundation to do this, however...not so easy.

I'm most successful when I keep in mind that all of the moving parts (air, tongue, chops) must be steady and balanced to achieve accurate and fluid slurs. So...fairly easy to execute, but fairly hard to learn in the first place.

Excellent wisdom clearly stated in the second paragraph. I wish I had this drilled into me forty plus years ago! - back in the 'lip slur' days- Very few people knew about a balanced embouchure. Any students serious about gaining any measure of control of this most difficult instrument should post this on their music stand and make it part of their entire trumpet being. In my experience slurs can be done fairly easily using all three components. (tongue, air and chops) The interesting and key to many folks playing is the notion of keeping the chops set only contracting the aperture slightly for different registers. Lip slurs, no... 'T-air' slurs are the way to go for me.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
If a picture is worth 1,000 words, watch either Alison Balsam or Tine Thing Helseth play....

You're looking at their emouchures? Hehe. OK, we'll go with that....
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote easy, because some of them are. I'm working the Irons 7 through 11 as instructed... and for me, those currently are hard. When I've mastered them and they feel easy I know I'm going to feel like I can conquer anything!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
MJo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough options. Some are easy, some are hard, some that are hard quickly become less hard and then easy, etc. etc. But no question: they are essential. 30 minutes of them as a warm-up, however, seems excessive; but incorporated as part of the day's program of practice -- that seems more reasonable.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJo wrote:
30 minutes of them [slurs] as a warm-up, however, seems excessive; but incorporated as part of the day's program of practice -- that seems more reasonable.

Long routines like that really are a practice session. It can become pivotal for us to realize the difference. While it's great to always have lots of preparation time followed by ample rest before any performance, real life doesn't always work that way but we still have to hit it when the downbeat comes.
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, I spent 2 years learning to "ride the wind" slurring everything. This turned out to be too much of a good thing. One day in rehearsal I am having a wonderful time octave slurring slamming into the lower slot when the fellow next me says, "Someone is slurring, it's supposed to be tongued."

I was horrified to realize I wasn't articulating as slurring was easier. Took awhile to find the proper practice balance between tongued and slurred.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip slurs are a litmus test for me, to help in determining if a horn is right for me, as well as the correct mouthpiece choice, and whether the gap is right.

They are easy as pie if everything is right, but ragged and difficult if not.
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJo wrote:
30 minutes of them as a warm-up, however, seems excessive; but incorporated as part of the day's program of practice -- that seems more reasonable.

It's not really that long. If you rest as much as you play, then it's only 15 minutes of playing. And considering each exercise goes through every valve combo, you really only get to a couple in that amount of time. If you're doing them up to F# above High C (on the open combo), it's actually a fairly quick progression, all things considered. Ideally, you'd only add one note on at a time on the top of the range in each successive exercise, but to fit it in that time span, you'll be skipping some partials.

razeontherock wrote:
Long routines like that really are a practice session. It can become pivotal for us to realize the difference. While it's great to always have lots of preparation time followed by ample rest before any performance, real life doesn't always work that way but we still have to hit it when the downbeat comes.

Oh sure, I'll count it as part of my practice session. It's just the first part. I'm not saying it's necessary. I just feel good afterward, not taxed and shot. I've had many 4 hour plus length gigs where the first note of the day was the downbeat.
musicman0097
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're both. When I first started them, obviously, they would be challenging. Now as I find my chops getting stronger, they are easier....until I get to the next level. I do like them to warm-up and to see where my chops are and in a way reset them.

Matthew

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure"- Colin Powell
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horntooter wrote:
I've had many 4 hour plus length gigs where the first note of the day was the downbeat.

Ick, I hope I never have to do that. But I did come off a multi-day bus ride, warm up in the alley on Beale St (in the rain) and drew a cheering crowd ...
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
horntooter wrote:
I've had many 4 hour plus length gigs where the first note of the day was the downbeat.

Ick, I hope I never have to do that. But I did come off a multi-day bus ride, warm up in the alley on Beale St (in the rain) and drew a cheering crowd ...

Haha, yeah. And the (one of two) singers complained afterward that her voice would be sore for days. I wanted to be like, "yeah imagine how I feel." (I was the only trumpet, so no one to share the load with.) I took the high road though and said nothing. Us musicians have it easy, but them singers, they've got it hard....
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the drummers (the implication being that neither singers nor drummers are musicians. Not true, just a joke that's often not so very sly)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: