• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Black Plastic Mute?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dFhimz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Black Plastic Mute? Reply with quote

I am looking for a black plastic (straight?) mute. I have seen them used in Mahler performances, and I'm personally looking to use one for the solo in Pictures at an Exhibition (Con mortuis in lingua mortua). I've been using a Denis Wick aluminum straight mute and I find the sound just too bright/piercing on that thing for the context of the music. I just don't know the names of the black plastic mutes that people use in certain contexts, help would be greatly appreciated!
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black Bach plastic mutes have a good sound, in many opinions, but are a bit tricky for tuning, etc. That's one option.

Alternatively, the more common choice for the non-piercing, black, non-metal mute is the Trumcor Lyric mute, which isn't actually plastic, but gets used a whole lot.
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've seen it used in a major orchestra and its a small black mute its likely the trumcor lyric mute

https://www.trumcor.com/shop?product_category=Trumpet+Mutes
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP: do you possibly mean the Wick black fibre mute?
It also produces a very warm, not harsh tone:
http://www.deniswick.com/all-products?view=item&item_id=494
Quote:
It is definitely more mellow than similarly spec’d aluminium or metal mutes and has a clean, round sound, particularly at the top end.

My fav straight mute for all occasions.
lb324

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be talking about Marcus Bonna mutes. They soften the sound without sounding harsh.
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Plastic Mute? Reply with quote

dFhimz wrote:
I am looking for a black plastic (straight?) mute. I have seen them used in Mahler performances, and I'm personally looking to use one for the solo in Pictures at an Exhibition (Con mortuis in lingua mortua). I've been using a Denis Wick aluminum straight mute and I find the sound just too bright/piercing on that thing for the context of the music. I just don't know the names of the black plastic mutes that people use in certain contexts, help would be greatly appreciated!

Might be the Bach plastic mute. The modern ones are a hard, more brittle plastic and do not have the same sound as previous ones. There are older ones made out of a softer black plastic, and older white Bach straight mutes that produce a much fuller sound than the modern ones. If you can find one of those, you will be much happier.
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Plastic Mute? Reply with quote

CRoberts8 wrote:
dFhimz wrote:

Might be the Bach plastic mute. The modern ones are a hard, more brittle plastic and do not have the same sound as previous ones. There are older ones made out of a softer black plastic, and older white Bach straight mutes that produce a much fuller sound than the modern ones. If you can find one of those, you will be much happier.

Hey Charles, wanna post some pics?
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Plastic Mute? Reply with quote

CRoberts8 wrote:
...and older white Bach straight mutes that produce a much fuller sound than the modern ones. ...

I have one of these white ones and it does have a nice sound. Pitchy above the staff though, and for my 37 bell, the low Ab and G are really flat. It's fine on C though.
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Plastic Mute? Reply with quote

jvand678 wrote:

Sure, if I don't remember to in the next day or two please remind me.

I don't own an older black mute, but if you press into tem there is some give, and they have a softer matte looking finish rather than the shine of the new hard black plastic mutes. Pretty sure that these old Bach black mutes are the mutes that were played in Cincinatti in the 70's and later.

The white mute also has a bit of "give" when pressed due to being softer plastic. I have two and will photo them next to the modern black Bach mute I have.

A little anecdote; I believe Tony Scodwell made some "mute flasks" out of the Bach white plastic mutes, so if you have a mute flask, it might make a great mute once you're done consuming its contents!
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Plastic Mute? Reply with quote

CRoberts8 wrote:
jvand678 wrote:

Sure, if I don't remember to in the next day or two please remind me.

I don't own an older black mute, but if you press into tem there is some give, and they have a softer matte looking finish rather than the shine of the new hard black plastic mutes. Pretty sure that these old Bach black mutes are the mutes that were played in Cincinatti in the 70's and later.

The white mute also has a bit of "give" when pressed due to being softer plastic. I have two and will photo them next to the modern black Bach mute I have.

A little anecdote; I believe Tony Scodwell made some "mute flasks" out of the Bach white plastic mutes, so if you have a mute flask, it might make a great mute once you're done consuming its contents!

Awe man... I was hoping for the black one . I'd love to be able to tell the difference as I'm digging through eBay ads...
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Plastic Mute? Reply with quote

dFhimz wrote:

Might it have been one of these?

http://www.humesandberg.com/product_detail.php?product=93

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
dFhimz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Troy Sargent"]if you've seen it used in a major orchestra and its a small black mute its likely the trumcor lyric mute

https://www.trumcor.com/shop?product_category=Trumpet+Mutes[/quote

this looks like the one! thanks!
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lb324 wrote:
You may be talking about Marcus Bonna mutes. They soften the sound without sounding harsh.

I think this is the mute you're looking for. Bonna is a Brazilian brand. He makes great straight (specially straight) mutes and cases. Great products!

Do they look like this?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember (but haven't yet found) a thread from a year or two back, in which John Hagstrom commented about a video of a CSO performance. In which, they were using the old (not the newer ones) Bach plastic straight mutes.
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a black plastic mute by Mutec. It tends to play in tune better than a spun aluminum mute.

http://www.amazon.com/Mutec-MHT110-Straight-Mute-Trumpet/dp/B000XZZ8GS
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
...the old (not the newer ones) Bach plastic straight mutes...

Tip of the week :
Though I never liked these mutes for piston trumpets, they tune and sound really well with rotaries.

MvW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: