• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Purchase - Escrow Service DPD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Purchase - Escrow Service DPD Reply with quote

I'm in the process of purchasing a trumpet from an individual in the UK. The seller wants to use an escrow service through a parcel delivery company. The company is Dynamic Parcel Delivery (DPD).

http://www.dpd.co.uk

I've never heard of them until today. It sounds like they're going to want cash through a bank transfer. I prefer to pay with a credit card or Paypal. Anyway an unusual request for me and when it comes to cash transfer I couldn't help but wonder if this could be some type of a scam.

What do you THer's think? Anyone ever purchase or sell a trumpet through DPD before? It's entirely possible that the seller who inherited the trumpet from a relative is just being very cautious.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick a shop, restorer, or music store you both know. Pay them a small fee to accept the $$ and or horn......

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
musicalmason1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with that company. But, whenever I am involved with any deal over the internet, and I find myself not 100% completely comfortable....If I have any gut doubts whatsoever, I walk away. Just me, but better safe than sorry. If the other person really wants to make the deal, they'll agree to a transaction method that both of you can be comfortable with.
www.AlsMusicShopNY.com
Al's Music Shop
Specializing in unique and hard to find instruments
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrumpetsForSale/
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good helpful advice guys! Thanks!! I'm going to try to work out something else with the seller that doesn't involve cash.
Eric Ball
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes check to see if the buyer/seller has a facebook account..that can sometimes ease your worries
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info on DPD. Looks like they are a German based company that's been around for around 40 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Parcel_Distribution
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Wow it looks like it is a SCAM! Reply with quote

Ok, I Googled this guys name Adam Gardella and I found a thread on another forum with an almost identical email. Check this out:

Email to me from Adam Gardella on 5/12/14. See the ad I replied to: http://fortmyers.backpage.com/MusicEquipForSale/1955-mt-vernon-bach-stradivarius-43-bell-trumpet/12019220

Hello,

I still have for sale my 1955 Mt. Vernon Bach Stradivarius 43 bell trumpet. I am asking $1600. From the beginning I want to tell you that I left the country a couple of days ago and came to United Kingdom with my work for the Save The Children Foundation. If you still want to buy it, I will pay all shipping fees. Also we can do this in a safe way with the help of an escrow company. They will handle the delivery from United Kingdom to your home since I had to take it with me having no place where to leave it there. The escrow company will give 10 days to inspect it so you can test and see that it is exactly as described in my ad.

Thanks,
Adam

Email on guitar forum from Adam Gardella on 1/08/14. See: http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/155740/Martin-D45-2000-is-it-a-scam-stolen#.U3LmylfYMfU

Hello,

I still have for sale my Martin Standard D-45 Acoustic Guitar. I am asking $2000. From the start I want to tell you that I left the country a couple of days ago and came to United Kingdom with my work for the Save The Children Foundation. If you still want to buy it, I will pay all shipping fees. Also we can do this in a safe way with the help of an escrow company. They will handle the delivery from United Kingdom to your home since I had to take it with me having no place where to leave it there. The escrow company will give 10 days to inspect it so you can test and see that it is exactly as described in my ad.

Thanks,
Adam

Seeing as how he just moved a few days ago to the UK in both January and May, I'm certain this is a scam.

He also sent me many pictures of the trumpet, talked to me about not being able to answer many questions because he inherited the trumpet from his grandfather. I thought he was legit until he was asking for cash. I gave him my home address too.

I wonder how I can catch this guy and who should I report him to?
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays someone can not be careful enough to avoid scams.

I have done lots of classified purchases and so far all went well. But buying an instrument and the price is probably high enough to make this a pretty big gamble.

Like said above you may want to check with some reputable dealers such as Trent Austin (a member of this forum) who sells lots of used instruments and is great to deal with.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see letters like this all the time on Craigslist. If there is a "story" of some kind, especially involving deployments or relocation due to working for some charitable cause I walk away. It's a big red flag.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Run away, don't bother walking. That has scam written large all over it!

cheers

Andy
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
+1 Run away, don't bother walking. That has scam written large all over it!

cheers

Andy

Hi

I couldn't agree more. This sounds very very much like a scam.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: