• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any suggestions for Flügel brands to look for

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hzinno
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scodwell
Kanstul 1503 c
LA Benge Pic
Tony Scodwell Flugel
1957 Conn Customized Valve Trombone
Getzen Eterna Cornet
French Besson Meha
Tony Scodwell Boston Bflat
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill W wrote:
Dont forget the older Yamaha models the 631 and 731.. Awesome horns at a very reasonable used price.

I had a 631 for several years before switching up to the Kanstul 1525. The Yamaha had good intonation and a very even sound up into a pretty high range. It was probably more usable in more band settings that the 1525 -- high energy concert and "big" bands need more projection than I get from the 1525 (so I use my funky, hybrid Conn 80A with the big copper bell modification and a flugel mouthpiece if I need a flugelish sound in community band). My Yamaha could stand up to a band pretty well but it didn't get that unfocused, breathy sound that I love on a quiet ballad, late at night, when nobody but the lovers are left in the room.

Tommy T.
dcstep
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing the Conn Vintage One flugel for several years now and love it when combined with my GR66FD mouthpiece. The mpc is almost as important as the horn.
Bach 229 C, with Blackburn leadpipe, Tanabe mods
Lawler TL cornet with Sparx mpc
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Conn Vintage One (though I haven't played anything recently produced).

I went from Blessing XL (ick) to a Couesnon stencil (treberte moderne) to a Yamaha Shew to the Conn Vintage One. I don't regret any of those moves, and they do indeed all play differently. I find the Connie to be a little more free blowing for my purposes.

For what it's worth, if you're on a safari for flugel mouthpieces, I think the Curry line really offers several great options at good value.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Flugels to try Reply with quote

Naturally I'm biased but the Scodwell USA is certainly worth a try. I aimed for a classic French style flugel but with intonation and clarity of sound that is much improved over the classic French instruments. There aren't many around and Washington Music Center usually has one or two for trial. They are offered in clear lacquer, brushed lacquer and also with a copper bell and tuning branch. All my flugels tune primarily in the lower bell branch with additional tuning in the leadpipe. Like I said, there aren't many around but they have been touted by some top players who find them the very best they've played.

Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available in the US only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 and in Sydney, Australia at Sax and Woodwind… and Brass and in Frieburg, Germany at Musik-Bertram.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: