• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Giardinelli 7M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Giardinelli 7M Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I played a King Master cornet with a sterling bell this weekend, and the owners Giardinelli 7M. I actually already HAVE that cornet, but never play it because it doesn't really get along with any of my mouthpieces.

This setup, however, was an absolute joy. There's a mini-documentary going around on YouTube about how Martins just want to play jazz, and this setup just wanted to play dixieland.

I want to find a 7M in a cornet shank, but I realize that this is going to be a tough process. Does anyone know of any current pieces that are based on the Giardinelli designs, besides the Kanstul GIR series?

Also, are the threads on the Giardinelli pieces compatible with any other brands?
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always have one of the various mouthpiece makers make a scan of the mouthpiece and then create a copy using a cornet blank.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giardinelli-7M-Trumpet-Mouthpice-Rare-3-Piece-Model-/281388354076?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item41840d8a1c
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got that modular 7M on my watch list...does anyone know if the threading on that cup will accept Warburton/Kanstul threaded backbores?

I have thought about trying to find a custom maker to create something new for me, but the honest truth is that I don't really make any money playing Dixieland, and don't want to drop $300 on a mouthpiece that's not going to pay me back.

That being said...Didn't John Stork learn mouthpiece making at Giardinelli? Does anyone know if he'll make Giardinelli reproductions?
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Black made me a copy of Maynard's Giardinelli piece, so I know he has
all the original specs. John might..not sure- but Greg can make you a top
for under $100 and definitely will fit Warburton backbores.

I believe he told me the Giards had a different thread.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swingintrpt wrote:
I've got that modular 7M on my watch list...does anyone know if the threading on that cup will accept Warburton/Kanstul threaded backbores?

I have thought about trying to find a custom maker to create something new for me, but the honest truth is that I don't really make any money playing Dixieland, and don't want to drop $300 on a mouthpiece that's not going to pay me back.

That being said...Didn't John Stork learn mouthpiece making at Giardinelli? Does anyone know if he'll make Giardinelli reproductions?

I wonder if the Giardinelli cornet mouthpieces use the same backbores as the trumpet versions, just cut short? If that's the case, you could get a trumpet 7M converted into a cornet mpc.

Mike
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 7Ms on my watch list just for that reason! I'm surprised it's so hard to find info on these mouthpieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: