• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Big vs. small mouthpiece when range-building?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffTheHornGuy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Big vs. small mouthpiece when range-building? Reply with quote

Recently I have been doing some range-building/endurance-building exercises and I was just wondering weather it's more beneficial to play said exercises on my orchestral (1.5C) or lead (14a4a) mouthpiece. After all, the high notes will mostly be used on the lead piece, but I'm aware that using the orchestral mouthpiece may build more "lip-muscle". Thoughts?
Custom Lawler C7
Electronic music producer
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say do the bulk of your routine on a good general purpose mouthpiece. Especially for developing range and endurance. Then put in time as needed on your specialty pieces.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your usable range on each? Do you have performances scheduled that require each?
brassjunky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question. FWIW in Roger Ingram's book he recommends doing range practice on your lead piece, I guess since that is what you will be using when you play really high. I see advantages in this as your chops will get used the knack of using the lead mouthpiece to play in the extreme register.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassjunky wrote:
Interesting question. FWIW in Roger Ingram's book he recommends doing range practice on your lead piece, I guess since that is what you will be using when you play really high. I see advantages in this as your chops will get used the knack of using the lead mouthpiece to play in the extreme register.

I asked him in person. He response was to practice it on what you would intend to play it on.

I personally don't really see a point to training "big" then going to the lead piece. Practice both. I think one of the times where practising big might transfer some is the case of identical rim feel with a deeper cup and shallower cup setup. But we are all different so good luck... You gotta find what works for you!

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree practice both if you play both. I do the bulk of my playing on my all around (Flip Oakes 3C-O), so that's what I do the bulk of my practicing with. I spend time transferring my skills to the shallow piece (Flip Oakes 3-L) from time to time, and when I have a situation coming up.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw away the 14a4a. Play the 1.5C for everything. It will take a little longer to develop, but in the end you will have a great range and nearly unlimited endurance.

jbq

a 14a4a would make a good mosquito call...
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James B. Quick wrote:
Throw away the 14a4a. Play the 1.5C for everything. It will take a little longer to develop, but in the end you will have a great range and nearly unlimited endurance.

jbq

That's terrible advice.

You're not "building" lip muscle either. You don't need muscle to play well. You need strength, but not muscles to support that strength. The strength comes from playing efficiently, which comes from learning how to get the most sound with the least amount of effort.

A 1.5c is a specialty mouthpiece. It's not meant to play lead on, so why force it to? Sure, some people can play with limitless range and endurance, but they're not the norm.

On a side note, that's a really drastic change between mouthpieces. How about picking something in the middle then going from there?
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Mike. I'm with you. I'll get caught with my 1.5 in the horn and on a good day can play most anything with it, and sure enough, go to the big band piece and I end up muscling it and have to make the adjustment. If you don't know the 14A4 well, you have to spend some time with it.

ed
Bill W
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same excercises on both pieces, softly and go as high as I can without straining on both. Of course I can go higher on my lead piece. Build control and consistancy on each and you will know when you need to use each piece and will have the confidence and relaxed concentration to get the job done.. JMHO
1962 Quesnon Flugel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iMEHat1PXV0 Playing Maynard's "Hey There"
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
Yeah, Mike. I'm with you. I'll get caught with my 1.5 in the horn and on a good day can play most anything with it, and sure enough, go to the big band piece and I end up muscling it and have to make the adjustment. If you don't know the 14A4 well, you have to spend some time with it.

ed

I went through the same thing when I was trying to play a mouthpiece that big. For me it has something to do with how I hear myself on top of the band. I needed a brighter sound so I could get on top of the band easier. A super dark sound is just not going to cut it when playing lead (for most people).
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
James B. Quick wrote:

jbq

That's terrible advice.

You're not "building" lip muscle either. You don't need muscle to play well. You need strength, but not muscles to support that strength. The strength comes from playing efficiently, which comes from learning how to get the most sound with the least amount of effort.

A 1.5c is a specialty mouthpiece. It's not meant to play lead on, so why force it to? Sure, some people can play with limitless range and endurance, but they're not the norm.

On a side note, that's a really drastic change between mouthpieces. How about picking something in the middle then going from there?

I can see good in both James's and Mike's points, though they may appear to be polar opposites.

At age 16, before I began studying with Claude, in a phone conversation with him he asked me what mouthpiece I was playing on. I answered that I was playing a 14A4A. He said to me, "I want you to take that mouthpiece and bury it in your backyard!" It was good advice. The 14A4A is a pretty radical mouthpiece with its high alpha angle and small throat leading into the drill and then tiny backbore. Following Claude's advice, I ended up playing on a 1-1/2C for everything for many years as I developed into a player, and I still think a developing player should use one and only one mouthpiece.

There are exceptions to the following, but, once you hit pro or semi-pro level and you're out there working, one has to either play everything on a middle of the road setup (think 3C), or one has to use different mouthpieces for different styles of music. If the OP can play big band or rock music with decent tone and attack on a 14A4A, and he finds it to be comfortable on his face, then by all means, he should not "bury that mouthpiece in his back yard."

I can sure relate to what Mike wrote about trying to play on too big of a mouthpiece. Back around 1985, playing next to and trying to keep up with guys like Wayne Bergeron I finally went to Joe Marcinkiewicz and had him make me a slightly shallower version of my 1-1/2C. But it still had the big 1-1/2C diameter and the rather narrow 1-1/2C rim. I used that piece for all my lead and commercial work, right through the end of the "Cats" run in 2000. Then I stuck with it for the 1st book on Glöckner (Hunchback), using my 1-1/2C for the 2nd book (my main book on the show). It wasn't until just before I got "West Side Story" in Basel, Switzerland in 2002 that I experimented with and fell in love with the Reeves 43C and even the 43M. The Reeves 43 rim is slightly smaller in diameter than a modern Bach 3C, with a fairly wide, comfortable rim. They are SO MUCH easier to play on when there are high notes and endurance challenges than my comparatively uncomfortable 1-1/2C rims. I wish I had downsized years earlier.

In reference to the OP's question, I tend to practice my whole daily routine on the 43C (a "middle of the road" mouthpiece), unless I am going to be doing any serious orchestral playing, in which case I practice my whole routine on the mouthpiece I intend to use for the upcoming work (usually a Bach 3B or a Bach 1X Rim /1B Cup Screw-rim setup. If I am on a show that I use the 43M for, that's the mouthpiece I'll do my daily practice routine on. I do not use different mouthpieces for different parts of my daily practice routine.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I ordered that controversial Schilke 14A4a mouthpiece.

For improvising jazz stuff I find that my range is OK going up to high D but then gets weaker. That seems to be respectable enough. Sure I'd love to bang it up another octave but it doesn't seem essential for making a good jazz solo.

For big band lead parts, I def need to try a different mouthpiece to get power and edge up there. Will let you know how I get on
INTJ-disable
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the rim shape and diameter that best fits my face, then vary the cup, throat, and backbore to match the style of playing. For me that means two MPs for Bb trumpet with the same rim, backbore and throat. One has a medium shallow cup that I use for 90% of my stuff (lead, Broadway). The other has a medium deep cup I use when I want no edge in my tone at higher volume levels when above the staff--like when playing with a chamber orchestra. I practice with the MP I use the most.
JeffTheHornGuy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify:

The mouthpieces are in my signature. they are not exact 1.5c/14a4a, but similar models from the stomvi flex lineup. I like both of them, but I was just wondering which would be most beneficial to practice with.

Thanks for all of the input.
Custom Lawler C7
Electronic music producer
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Throw away the 14a4a.."
Quote:
That's terrible advice.

I can only tell you that I can play a three hour set with no break and no diminuation in my range, which for performance purposes is up to the 'g' above high 'c'. Of course, I would rather have a break or two, but sometimes that doesn't happen. I spent many years building up from a Schilke 11 (which is a terrible mthpce with its off-center highpoint on the rim), to a Vladimir Fridman-made mthpce with the same diameter as a Schilke 19. My aim in working up to a large mthpce had more to do with wanting a big, fat tone than range. I hate the thin, nasal tone that comes from playing a small mthpce. Perhaps playing in a section with other trumpets would disguise a thin tone, but in almost all of the stuff I play I'm the only trumpeter.

jbq

jbq
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my own experience the Stomvi Flex 1.5 rim feels so much larger than a Curry or Bach 1.5. Have you tried a Flex 3 rim? It's a more reasonable size and shape. I have a Flex 3G that I use for everything.

You could also try a Curry 1.5C or 1.5M. Great sound and range and they won't fight you like the Stomvi 1.5.

Kent
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: The Reply with quote

The notion of formulating mouthpiece changes in order to play better "lead" trumpet is ill-conceived.
Practice and play on a mouthpiece you sound the best on in 8 or nine out of 10 applications.
For that last application or two, if it means that much to you or it is not attainable to you any other way, find a mouthpiece you can pick up and achieve the desired result on for a few minutes, or a few passes or pieces.
You may want to find two..
Proceeding in this fashion, your fundamental, once fully established, will not be damaged or altered too much. You will hear your best sound and pitch, consistently.
I have had success, and have seen notable others, excellent functioning full time players, who work in big band, Broadway, quasi legit and jazz settings employ this approach.
Further, the greatest success I've witnessed and experienced has been one of the following 3 combinations. A Bach 3c type player who does most playing on his 3c, and then moves to a Purviance 4*k4, or 8, as needed. A Bach 3c type player who then moves to a Purviance 4*3, or 9, as needed. A Reeves 42 or 43 C or M type player, who moves to a Purviance as previously mentioned, or a 42 or 43 s with a 692 28 underpart. These combinations seem to facilitate this type of thing..maintaining good sound, pitch and reasonable flexibility. The move from a Bach is somehow really enhanced landing on the Purviance.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
Practice and play on a mouthpiece you sound the best on in 8 or nine out of 10 applications.

^^ this
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, use a mouthpiece that (facilitates..love that word) what you want to do.

I wonder how many teachers endorse using/switching different mouthpieces for various music you play?

Reason is..lips are sensitive to getting used to your setting, mpc etc...

I just feel like switching sizes increases your chances of cracking and missing notes. Something to be avoided at all cost (at least during a performance)

Big and small is relative to lip size/thickness.

For me a 1 1/2 C is a bathtub. Too large. Yes; I could practice my butt off and learn to play with it..but why make my job harder?

I use a mouthpiece that is in between large and small (although closer to small) for everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: