• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Where" and "When" to practice

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to practice in an apartment for several years. I would plan when most people were gone, usually in the afternoon. I also made a point to befriend the manager and their families. Then, when any flack came I had an advantage. I never practice with a mute. I hate the way it feels.

I do remember one time when the upstairs neighbor started stomping on the floor when I was practicing something not as loud as his TV. So,..... I decided it was time to play my range study and teach him a lesson. He actually stopped and never stomped on the floor again.

Other times I had worked-out getting a key to The Masters College in Newhall, CA. I was a member at Grace Community Church that was connected with it and I had played at their graduations and other things. So, I just asked a favor to get a key and be able to practice there. They gave it to me and just asked from my ID info. I became friends with the night watchman and it was cool because they had a 10pm curfew and I knew once I was there after that nobody would ever bother me except the watchman, who knew it was me when the light was on. That worked perfect for several years.

In college a group of us had ways to get into the CSUN (California State University Northridge) music building. Sometimes doors were not locked or they might need a little help to be opened. Then it was easy to practice until 3am or 4am if I wanted. I'm a late night person.

I remember one time several of us that were there late actually were responsible for catching someone stealing a piano. The person nonchalantly pushed the piano across a second story connecting bridge to the drama building, loaded it on the freight elevator and we saw them pushing it down the sidewalk INFRONT of the school on Nordhoff. Pretty bold. We told security and that helped the next time they asked us to leave and we able to stay.

It's better to ask some favors of people and be nice.
It was funny teaching my upstairs neighbor a lesson though.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff, I used to sneak into CSUN during the day to practice when I lived in Reseda down the block from Claude's studio.

those were the days!
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have practiced while driving, but I wasn't game to admit it.. it's a bit naughty and probably illegal (not as dangerous as texting though?). But what would the ticket say? "Driving under the influence of Claude Gordon".

That's hilarious, Jeff.. about teaching your neighbour a lesson.. I wouldn't have the guts to do something like that. Maybe that's my problem.. too timid.

Eric, the main thing I'm finding with doing everything in one block is that (for some reason) I'm getting a lot more done, and I'm logging more hours. I'll post some more detail after I have time to think about it..
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

Look forward to more detail about progress when you get a chance.

I hope you are getting settled in the city (Brissy?) and things pick up, its always hard moving locations, I have done it a few times in my younger days but thankfully we have been here for over 20 years now and no intention of moving, unless our daughter and grandkids in Canada put the pressure on!

Best of luck
Eric
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

Just wondering if you are still doing the routine all in one block and how its working for you? I have more time available to me at the moment and am contemplating trying what you are doing.

Question for the forum I guess, what do people do?.....spread routine over the whole day or do it in one block (with appropriate rest periods) and what seems to work best? .I realise work can dictate practice habits for a lot, but for those with more flexible time, it would be good to get some feedback.
Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: