• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Does size of mouthpiece affect muscles used

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Does size of mouthpiece affect muscles used Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
So two months ago I played on a 7C bach trumpet mouthpiece.
I changed to play on a 3. I preferred this.
So for 2 months I've played on a 3.

Two days ago, for fun, I tried playing with a 7C. I found that when I went up for high notes the muscles beneath my right cheek were trying to work. That is a habit I'm trying to get out of since I've discovered on the 3 when the muscles below to the right are used then I get much high range and power and better sound. So am trying to shake off those cheek muscles being used when I go high. No idea where that habit came from. When those muscles to the bottom right are struggling I've noticed that the cheek muscles try and work, almost like a fallback option.

I found it interesting that the other night my cheek muscles were trying to work with the 7C, almost like my bottom right muscles couldn't 'fit' into the 7C perhaps. This made me wonder whether mouthpiece size can influence which muscles get used, not just comfort on the lip.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no answer for you from an expert perspective but my experience has been that mouthpieces of larger sizes are too big for me and require much more muscle to hold an effective embouchure. Moving smaller has been the best thing ever and the piece I'm playing now is the best I've ever played... and it's about 0.590" to 0.600" though it feels a lot larger because of the soft bite.

My lips are thin and not fleshy at all, so take that into account.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Well I've dumped the Bach 3 now and going back onto 2 1/2 C. The 3 was giving a nice sound but too much hard work to play it. Not when you're fresh, but after playing for a bit.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I cannot comment on your original question, but may I ask why you are now switching to a 2 1/2C?. I'm guessing because it is a C cup rather than the no letter cup of the 3.

The 2 1/2C is however not the most common choice on Bb (I presume that you are playing Bb trumpet) and is described in the Vincent Bach mouthpiece catalogue as:

21⁄2C Medium 16.40 mm Medium wide, lowered Large cup; brilliant, heroic, crisp C trumpet tone. For players
toward the outside. with strong, muscular lips.

Obviously you can play this mouthpiece on Bb, but the description suggests that it is designed more to be used on C.

If it works for you great, but if you are not fully decided upon the 2 1/2C, have you tried a 3C, which is a very popular choice?

The rim of the Bach 3C is admittedly not quite the same as of the Bach 3.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

I cannot comment on your original question, but may I ask why you are now switching to a 2 1/2C?. I'm guessing because it is a C cup rather than the no letter cup of the 3.

Hi, yes that's right, I just happen to have it. Would prefer to try a 3C.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach 3B and 3 are very different than the 3C. I believe that both in addition to having progressively bigger cups also have more open backbores. I know a few folks that love and excel on the 3B, not sure I've met any who really prefer the 3 (except on flugelhorn). By contrast a fairly large number of players like and succeed on the 3C.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. For playing high lead parts, what would you change your 3C for? Or would 3C do the job fine usually.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you get firmly established on a 3C it's nearly impossible to predict what else might facilitate lead playing for any particular player. Many use a similar rim and go tighter and/or shallower but how much of that works for you is anybody's guess. Reeves makes a line of pieces that a good number of 3C players seem to like for their more "commercial" setups.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm strongly believe that mouthpiece size affects the muscles used. Or much more accurately, the muscles that aren't used. But it shouldn't be a matter of guesswork about what to move to next because the ears, good trumpet ears out front, will promptly identify when the most complete muscle groups are being used.

Having done clinics with hundreds of college music majors, I've found that the overwhelming majority are using Bach 1.5C. And, they are not playing in tune. Very few can play even a low C and middle C in tune with each other. In section, at best, these players have to use a great deal of extraneous/tiring lip movement in order to blend correctly. In my experience, a move to a well designed, properly balanced mouthpiece that fits the face immediately cures the intonation issues. And at the same time, it provides a much more focused, powerful, and rich sound. Rather than try the hit-and-miss approach, get a really good set of trumpet ears out front and I think you'll be amazed at the rapid progress you'll make. If asked, you can still tell everyone that you're on a 1.5 C. Best to all, Kyle
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
The Bach 3B and 3 are very different than the 3C. I believe that both in addition to having progressively bigger cups also have more open backbores. I know a few folks that love and excel on the 3B, not sure I've met any who really prefer the 3 (except on flugelhorn). By contrast a fairly large number of players like and succeed on the 3C.

Actually, the no letter Bach cups and the C cups use the same no. 10 backbore. I assume this is to compensate for the deeper cup and rim shape.

3C is the logical progression. Also, many people just stick to their 3c for lead stuff.

Good luck
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
I'm strongly believe that mouthpiece size affects the muscles used. Or much more accurately, the muscles that aren't used. But it shouldn't be a matter of guesswork about what to move to next because the ears, good trumpet ears out front, will promptly identify when the most complete muscle groups are being used.

Having done clinics with hundreds of college music majors, I've found that the overwhelming majority are using Bach 1.5C. And, they are not playing in tune. Very few can play even a low C and middle C in tune with each other. In section, at best, these players have to use a great deal of extraneous/tiring lip movement in order to blend correctly. In my experience, a move to a well designed, properly balanced mouthpiece that fits the face immediately cures the intonation issues. And at the same time, it provides a much more focused, powerful, and rich sound. Rather than try the hit-and-miss approach, get a really good set of trumpet ears out front and I think you'll be amazed at the rapid progress you'll make. If asked, you can still tell everyone that you're on a 1.5 C. Best to all, Kyle

Absolutely agree.

Of course, different mouthpiece configurations would have some effect on the physical responses of a player's embouchure.

I used to play a Bach 1 1/4C for many years, until, due to playing and related embouchure problems, I went for help and got onto a more efficient embouchure and somewhat smaller mouthpiece (still medium, middle of the road - nothing extreme; still a medium cup depth - just a smaller diameter and slightly different rim design); "compact" and "focused" are the words Jens Lindemann uses. Prior to that time, I was having all kinds of problems relating to the compact and focused issue, and tone production.

IMHO, one of the biggest things that any brass player faces is the ability to play with a focused and centered tone, thus in tune as well, and to play with "control".

It will be a great day for the trumpet players of the world when this kind of approach discussed in the quoted post above becomes the norm and the old "play the biggest mouthpiece you can find", and the "7C, 5C, 3C, 1 1/2C etc progression" is history.
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So now I've played 2 1/2C for two days in a row. I'm getting some new mouthpieces to try out in the next few days: Bach 3C and Schilke 14A4a.

Already on the 2 1/2C I'm finding that different muscles are feeling it and being used. The rim feels slightly too big so I'm hoping the 3C does the trick.

Someone commented, not sure if in this thread, that maybe playing a non-C cup such as a 3 would help to beef one's chops up for a 3C. I can tell from this experience of having played a Bach 3 heavily for 2 months, and years ago when I played Bb cornet and interchanged between Denis Wick 4 and 4B, that this doesn't really happen. I think that's because different muscles are being used and/or some muscles are used much more in a deeper cup, which aren't used so much in a shallower cup?
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X9...

It is not just about size, but rim shape and how the mouthpiece allows (or restricts) air flow.

It may take some time but you have to find the rim that your chops work best with. I wouldn't pay attention to the size so much as how easily it lets your chops make a sound.

I personally like the shape of the Schilke M3 rims, but I (usually) do not play a Schilke M3 mouthpiece. I have a M3 rim on top of a Kanstul Mount Vernon 1.5C underpart and currently a #10 backbore (screw in). I use this rim solely because it is the one where I can get a basic buzz with the least amount of effort. The underpart and backbore are for the sound and blow.

I would suggest that you get your trumpet teacher to help you find what works best for you.

Good luck.
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the 3C and Schilke 14A4a and both work great with my chops. No fatigue or strain at all to get the notes I want.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x9ret wrote:

Someone commented, not sure if in this thread, that maybe playing a non-C cup such as a 3 would help to beef one's chops up for a 3C. I can tell from this experience of having played a Bach 3 heavily for 2 months, and years ago when I played Bb cornet and interchanged between Denis Wick 4 and 4B, that this doesn't really happen.

When I first started reading this, I was afraid it was going to go in the wrong direction, but you ended with the right thing. Also, Stanton has it right. The shape of the rim is also key. I've found that the rim shape on a Bach 7A seems to just fit my face perfectly, and while the cup is deep and the throat/backbore are big, I'm still going to get a rim scanned and placed on a slightly shallower, more B shaped cup.
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Well now my embouchere feels tired but the muscles that are tired are not the same ones which get tired playing on the 3.
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X9... I re-read your post. You said:
"So am trying to shake off those cheek muscles being used when I go high. No idea where that habit came from. When those muscles to the bottom right are struggling I've noticed that the cheek muscles try and work, almost like a fallback option. "

Personally, I think you're playing with fire if you want to be good. Shifts in your technique will at best make you inconsistent and at worst cause lasting problems. I'll leave it at that.

The 3C and 14A4A are totally different animals. The 3C may work for you. That's fine. Use it. Learn it. And don't push. the 14A4A is more of a specialty mouthpiece. Unless you're playing lead in a jazz band exclusively, IMO it's not a good choice at your level of development. It's not about power, but efficiency. Watch someone like Allan Vizzuttik. He plays high, low, everywhere on the horn and makes it look effortless. That's what you should be striving for right now. That effortlessness.

Who am I to tell you this? Someone who has torn an obicularis oris and lived thru Focal Dystonia. You don't want to go where I've been. EFFICIENCY and good sound are the route. Patience is the key.

Oh... and about the mouthpiece. Find the ONE you're going to play on. Take the others, put them in a jar, can, whatever. Fill it with water and store it in the freezer.

Good luck.
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stanton,
It sounds bad what you went through.
I'm sticking with 3C. The Schilke only for special occasions. Those muscle groups in cheek and bottom right are not being felt used at all using the 3C.
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x9ret wrote:
Hi Stanton,
I'm sticking with 3C. The Schilke only for special occasions. Those muscle groups in cheek and bottom right are not being felt used at all using the 3C.

That sounds reasonable. The 3C is a good middle of the road mouthpiece. Honestly, you don't really need a "special occasion" mouthpiece.

x9ret wrote:

It sounds bad what you went through.

You have no idea. The torn OO muscle was due to severe overplaying when I wasn't ready. I had come back from a long layoff and was thrown into a situation where in one week I had to play a symphony concert preceded by a 2 hour rehearsal. That same week I in the midst of playing in a musical and having to play before I was recovered from the symphony fiasco. That was followed by a bruising 4th of july concert with no assistant principal. I was not physically ready to play much of this, let alone all of it. WHEN YOU ARE PUSHED TO PLAY BEYOND YOUR CURRENT DEVELOPMENT ONLY BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN. Don't let it happen to you.

The Focal Dystonia hit 6 years ago and only NOW am I even close to a recovery. We don't have enough space on this thread to discuss it. I have had to learn to play again from the ground up. Everything I have said in this thread was based on having to be a beginner again.

Good luck.
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Stanton, wow that is some story. I hope that never happens to me.

OK, so I've settled on the 3C quite nicely this week.

I've made the following observation.

I'm working on my endurance. However, a point comes when my range deteriorates. Notes high C and above become impure, messy sound and a struggle to get as I play more and more. Although the range up to high C is just fine. I think that's just fatigue. Earlier today at one point I touched a double C. So I think it's just fatigue up there.

This has happened the last few days. Next day I get up and play above high C no problem. Repeat. lol.

However, after doing all the worthwhile exercises, at the end of the day I like playing along to some tracks. It frustrates me that my range is diminishing. So I put my schilke in and that gives me say 15 minutes of fun where I get back that lost half octave range. But after 15 minutes then not even that mouthpiece helps anymore and I quit playing.

I was settling so nicely on 3C that I considered maybe I wasted my money on schilke. Now I'm thinking to always keep schilke in my pocket if I get a tough gig as it would be a life saver.

I don't quite understand why I get that bonus time with the shallower mouthpiece. Unless of course, slightly different muscles are being used which are more fresh and not used so much on the 3C?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: