• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When/how to schedule college tours for grad school

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srharron

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: When/how to schedule college tours for grad school Reply with quote

Hi all! For those who have endured the process of applying to grad schools, when and how did you schedule your college tour and applications/auditions?

I'll be finished with my undergrad in Dec 2015, so I have a year and a half before I would be entering grad school. However, I want to get as much exposure as possible to different schools and professors.

I'm looking into UNC University of the Arts, University of Maryland and some other schools along the east coast. I plan to make a road trip this fall to visit schools, but would that be considered too far in advance? How did you approach the trumpet profs and let them know that you are interested in their program?

I will be out of the country for my spring 2015 semester because I'll be studying music/spanish studies in Spain, woo hoo ! That will only leave me with one semester left in my undergrad. I think this fall is the perfect time, right?

Thanks for your help!
UAtpt23

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through all of this so maybe I can help. Honestly you can never start this stuff too early. I remember getting a good start on research around my 2nd year of undergrad, just getting my feet wet by taking lessons with certain teachers and such. Try and find students who currently or have gone to the school you're interested in and ask their honst opinion of the school and program. Other than that it's all about contacting the teacher and sitting down with them for a lesson and getting a vibe about what their program and school is all about. I hope this helps!
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not underestimate the advice and network of professional relationships of your current teacher. Where does she think you should go? Who does he know that teaches at a great program where he can help you with an influential word?
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: