• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry 3C-S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Curry 3C-S Reply with quote

I just saw Curry 3C-S top at mouthpieceexpress.com and I was wondering if anyone could give some specs or feedback about it. It's not listed in Mark's website either. Thanks!
kidtwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump...

I'd like some info as well!!

WCU '03

Selmer K-Mod-24B-LT
King Silver Flair - 1960s Vintage
Carolbrass CTR-4440L-YST-Bb-S
Carolbrass CTR-4000H-YSS-C
Kanstul 1523
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Bach 3C, 10C, & Warburton 5 Mouthpieces
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the 3C. and the 3C-S. tops and they arrived today.

I am not going to speculate about what the S means. But the sound of the S was not as rich as the normal 3C. and it felt like it had a slightly smaller cup volume. For me, I preferred the normal 3C. The S backed up on me easily, didn't do what I wanted it to do. I have played the Curry 3M and it certainly was not that shallow.

I would not be surprised if the 3C-S cup is based on today's Bach 3C instead of the Mt Vernon 3C. But I probably shouldn't say that because it really doesn't play like today's Bach 3C.

Some people will prefer the S. I obviously am not one of them. But they are definitely different, and you should try them both if you are interested in getting a Curry 3 top. The 3C-S might be for you.
kidtwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...not at all what I thought it would be!! lol

WCU '03

Selmer K-Mod-24B-LT
King Silver Flair - 1960s Vintage
Carolbrass CTR-4440L-YST-Bb-S
Carolbrass CTR-4000H-YSS-C
Kanstul 1523
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Bach 3C, 10C, & Warburton 5 Mouthpieces
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see this cup model described on Mark's webpage. I'm wondering if this the the same cup in Steve Dillard's HT 3CS 28 mouthpiece. Actually, probably not because Mark's new model has the dot at the end of the model name, and that to me would mean it has the same rim as his 3C. and other newer 3 models (which is not the same rim as on Steve's Horn Trader mouthpieces, as these have a copy of Arturo Sandoval's rim from his favorite Mt Vernon 3C). Maybe Mark will venture in and let us know about this 3C-S. model.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the 3 star, Dave. I have one that is an earlier version. I am not sure it got to production or is what Mark labels as the 3C-S today, but I will bet it's close. Mark told me that the mouthpiece was based on an "'old'" Bach 1E 117, big throat," that looked like no other 1E he'd ever seen before. He said the "top half of the cup is definitely 1C-ish, but the bottom part of the cup is just raised about 30 thou and flattened out which gives it some compression."

Hope this helps.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
random_abstract

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread because I'm curious about the 3C-S cup and can't find any more info about it. Can anybody share how it compares to the other Curry cups? Thanks.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I'm in the same boat.. I bought one out of curiosity..

I agree it's a touch shallower than a 3C but not as shallow as a 3M or 3*. By eye, just a little flatter on the bottom of the cup.

Sounds good, with a little more shimmer than a 3C, especially if you push on it.

I'd also like to see some specs from Curry or mouthpieceexpress - both seem to be very slow responding, at least to me.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
klaus_o

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katherine Klinefelter has a doctoral dissertation where various manufacturers are interviewed with the same set of questions. Mark Curry was one of them. In one of of the answers he discusses the C-S mouthpiece. Here is a quote from the paper.

"In Curry’s 1.5C-S mouthpiece for orchestral players, the cup of a 1.5C is used, but with the bottom of the cup brought up slightly. This amount is less than the thickness of four sheets of paper.

The angle on the bottom leading into the throat is sharper as well. This changes the compression characteristics of the cup. The mouthpiece has the same feel as the orchestral mouthpiece, but the sound is clearer. The backbore is a little tighter which adds brilliance to the sound. These combine to make a mouthpiece that feels comfortable to a primarily orchestral player while allowing him or her to play with a
commercial sound."

Although the 3C is not specifically discussed, i would assume that the cup depth change is proportional to the unique cup depths of each size.

Hope this helps. Do a google search on the Klinefelter paper to see the full extent of the discusion.
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're all mostly correct.

The 3C.-S is 11 thousandths shallower than my normal 3C. cup. I believe I made this particular cup to allow orchestral players to have a cup that was more suited for Pops without moving to a more shallow cup. I believe Karl Sievers was the first to request this.

I accomplished this by bringing up the bottom of the cup somewhat and then making a more efficient 2nd cup (entrance to the throat, or bore). This is easily accomplished with the CAD/CAM I use.

(In fact, making changes is the biggest temptation with CAD/CAM. I've been very good about not making any random changes in the Curry line, as I believe that the original cups should be preserved, warts and all)

So far, only the 1.5C and the 3C. are the only cups I've done to date. Others may follow when I have the time. Really, only a couple of the C cups in my line warrant making this change.

The end result of this change is a little more support upstairs, a more efficient playing cup, and a more compact, concentrated sound.

HTH

mc
random_abstract

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really helpful, thanks for replying, Mark!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: