• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Two practice mutes that I like...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerardo1000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Two practice mutes that I like... Reply with quote

Because I live in a condo and I am still a beginner, a practice mute is vital if I want to practice at night.
I tried several practice mutes, and returned a few that I didn't like. There are two that are my favorites and, because I guess that they are not very well known, I'd like to signal them. They cost little and in my opinion they perform very well.
The first is the FAXX compact aluminum practice mute. It looks like a clone of the famous (and expensive) Best Brass mute.
But in my humble opinion it is better because it has less back pressure. Actually it is the mute with the least back pressure that I have ever tried.
It is also, as a consequence, the "loudest" practice mute that I tried, but still very silent to the point that nobody will hear me from the other side of the wall. It is a bit "buzzy", like a harmon mute played without the stem, but quieter. I paid $ 35.00 for it. Very good mute, in my opinion.
The other favorite is another "clone" of the Best Brass, it is the Pro Tec Liberty compact aluminum mute.
This is quieter than the FAXX, and it has a tiny bit more back pressure. Very well built, I paid only $27.00. (Pro Tec Liberty mutes, by the way, are in my opinion an excellent value for the money, I also have their $ 29.00 wah wah mute and it is excellent).
Which are the other mutes that I tried and didn't like as much as these two ? Best Brass (returned,very quiet but too much back pressure and too expensive), Dillon (identical to the Best Brass, although much less expensive) Tom Crown (didn't fit the bell of my trumpet, lots of back pressure, personally didn't like the sound), Mutec (good mute), Humes & Berg (good mute). Mutec and Humes & Berg are good mutes, they reduce the volume very well, but I feel tired after playing them for a while.
A mute that I never had or tried is the popular Bremner "Shhhhhh" mte. I am planning to get one one day, if my FAXX and Pro Tec Liberty mutes get lost or damaged. Thanks for the attention.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the best of all, the Wallace.
gerardo1000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not forget the Wallace Studio. Everybody says it is great. But the lowest price I found is $85.00 !!!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.brookmays.com/i--TWCM17--Wallace--Studio-Trumpet-Practice-Mute.aspx

It's from Europe (Scotland) so indeed it may be a little bit more expensive in the US,
but anyway it's very good, if you don't overblow it you can improvise for hours on it with some nice harmon sound and feeling.

BTW, I just received my Charlie Davis straight mute with copper bottom and it's GREAT!
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely if you want quiet you should consider the Yamaha Silent Brass? Very, very quiet to everyone else but as loud as you want it to be for you. Yes it's expensive but you can take and use it anywhere.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Yamaha practice mute .. using a good set of headphones you get to hear yourself from the bell end of the trumpet and you can run a line in (great for play along stuff - Aebersold, etc).. Some players think theses feel stuffy, but I find with the headphones on I don't push as hard and has been an effective solution for me.

The other one that I like is the sshh mute... easier to travel with and I don't think feels as stuffy as others.

But then again - one of my favorites from touring was a standard stone lined cup mute that I'd stuff the cup with tissue (hotel rooms always have plenty of that).. not tightly but enough to dampen the sound without making it hard to play.. this way I wasn't carrying another mute on the road-I already had a cup mute in my bag.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inexpensive, quiet, good quality.

Humes and Berg Practice Mute

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made mine out of a Renuzit air freshener. I popped the top completely out and used some thin stick-on weather strip that was left over from a window AC unit I had recently installed. I put a second strip around the middle so it would also work with my valve trombone - although it's not quite as effective with the v-bone, LOL. It's not perfect. A little stuffy; a little sharp, but these are for imperfect practice conditions and just keeping the horn on your face regularly. I made it, like, 12 years ago I think? It still works just fine. Lots of mods you can try with it for what works best for your particular situation, so you don't need 3 or 4 different expensive practice mutes for different situations. Cheap enough to build a few of them, so you can always toss one and grab your spare later if it becomes inconvenient to carry.
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furcifer wrote:
I made mine out of a Renuzit air freshener.

unfortunately renuzit changed the design of the air freshener..... this is no longer really an option
https://www.renuzit.com

I personally love my Trumcor lyric stealth practice mute. It works perfectly for me. Good sound and barley any back pressure. Its the closest thing to playing an open horn that i have ever found ( including the new silent brass)
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use a Dillon's music practice mute. It is a clone of the best brass. A friend of mine had a best brass practice mute and couldn't tell the difference. I really like it, but it still has too much back pressure for my taste.

Are there any more suggestions of compact (in bell) practice mutes?
deatea
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently working with my second generation of the Yamaha Silent Brass Mutes (I loved the first one as well). It is a great way to play while not disturbing others around you. I find the input jack very nice as I can add accompanying parts that are audible only to myself.
musicman0097
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear good things about the Silent Brass, but too much money for me. I picked up a Denis Wick for cheap. Love it.

Matthew

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure"- Colin Powell
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Ssshhh mute recently and I have been quite impressed with it. I had to take it on a vacation last week so I wouldn't disturb my family and it seemed to be quite successful. Great for a warm up before gigs where you don't want to disturb anyone.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deatea wrote:
I am currently working with my second generation of the Yamaha Silent Brass Mutes (I loved the first one as well). It is a great way to play while not disturbing others around you. I find the input jack very nice as I can add accompanying parts that are audible only to myself.

I have the first generation and prefer the dillon practice mute over it. It has less resistance and in my opinion blocks out more of the sound. I did however try out the second generation silent brass at TBA a few weeks ago, and might I say, much improved. It has less resistance and the sound is dampened more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: