• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Imported REKA Trumpet Flugelhorn Leadpipe swab *NEW*

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Imported REKA Trumpet Flugelhorn Leadpipe swab *NEW* Reply with quote

I recently purchased this trumpet lead-pipe swab off of Ebay from some dude called TampaDave for $18.50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imported-REKA-Trumpet-Flugelhorn-Leadpipe-swab-NEW-/360237260407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53dfd05e77

It seemed to work well on my trumpets with the tuning slide attached to the lead-pipe, and it seemed to pickup the dirt in there (with the addition of spraying rubbing alcohol into the lead-pipe and letting it sit a few seconds before swabbing.)

Everything went well until I swabbed my Cornet. There was not enough length to do the tuning slide and the lead-pipe. After removing the tuning slide and just swabbing the lead-pipe, there was only 2 inch clearance out of the mouthpiece receiver. I went to pull it, and then the cork came off the end of the string due to not enough length.

I contacted the ebay seller, and he basically went into this long analysis of why the cork came off, and it was apparent it happens very frequently.

My argument was the length was too short to properly grab and pull the swab on a cornet. I also asked the guy to add instructions/warning notes in ENGLISH with the item so others won't fall into that trap...the supplied instructions were all in GERMAN.

Thus, if you decide to purchase this product, take great care when pulling it so the end cork does not come off especially when swabbing a cornet lead-pipe.

Do not apply any pressure to the end cork...even though it is easy to do so because the wire slips through the fingers when pulling especially when you only have 2 inch clearance on a cornet lead-pipe.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy the good ones from Tim Wendt and be done with it. Extremely well made, affordable, plenty of length. Can't really expect more than that.
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I will buy the Tim Wendt swab.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Just buy the good ones from Tim Wendt and be done with it. Extremely well made, affordable, plenty of length. Can't really expect more than that.

Ditto! Or +1....or "this"....or "agreed"..... or.....

Seriously, Tim's swabs work great! I have three, use them all the time. But not at the same time.

Brad
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Imported REKA Trumpet Flugelhorn Leadpipe swab *NEW* Reply with quote

Unless they changed it I've used the Reka swab for years and NEVER had any problem with it. The ones I have are at LEAST 2 feet long...probably more. I can insert it thru the 3rd valve casing on my flugel and run it throughout the entire tubing. When it comes out the bell I still have amble room on the end leftover! Like I said...maybe they have changed them. I bought 3 sets off eBay about 3-4 years ago.

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Imported REKA Trumpet Flugelhorn Leadpipe swab *NEW* Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
Unless they changed it I've used the Reka swab for years and NEVER had any problem with it. The ones I have are at LEAST 2 feet long...probably more. I can insert it thru the 3rd valve casing on my flugel and run it throughout the entire tubing. When it comes out the bell I still have amble room on the end leftover! Like I said...maybe they have changed them. I bought 3 sets off eBay about 3-4 years ago.

Butch

Hmm, it is 24" from tip to the swab portion. My issue came with swabbing my cornet leadpipe... there wasn't enough wire coming out to properly pull it without pulling the cork on the end off. The cork on the end is critical in being able to guide the string through the turns.

PS I just order the Tim Wendt Swab yesterday. Seems like a great guy selling a great product.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I too have just ordered the Tim Wendt Swab.

I originally liked the look of the Yamaha one on the Chase Sanborn website, but couldn't find it available anywhere in the UK. It doesn't even seem to be on the Yamaha UK website.

I telephoned one of the big Woodwind and brass stores in the UK, only for them to query why I would be looking for such a thing. They offered to ask the Yamaha rep when they next saw him, but that was a couple of months ago and I've heard nothing.

I asked my local music shop a couple of weeks ago, if they'd mind asking the Yamaha rep, and I am waiting to hear.

Anyway, looking into the Tim Wendt swab, it looks just what I'm looking for as the pictures show it being passed throught a cornet leadpipe and tuning slide, so I've ordered one.

If it arrives and I like it, I plan to order a second for my trumpet, so that I can keep one in my cornet accessory bag and one in my trumpet one, so that I have it with me, to swab out my leadpipe at the end of the rehearsal/gig etc.

All the best

Lou

P.S. I have the other kind of Reka cleaning kit, which consists of a type of snake with a orange foam ball on one end, long plastic wire and wooden ball on the opposite end, a couple of cleaning rods with a orange ball on the end (one with a larger foam ball for the valve casings and one with a smaller foam ball for the slides) and a mouthpiece brush.

For those who are not familiar with this kit, the snake is designed to be pulled through rather than pushed through. To clean the bell crook, after thoroughly soaking the orange foam ball, you insert the wooden ball through the valve port of the first valve, around the crook and out of the bell, and pull the orange foam ball through. This is a bit fiddly, and I am always worried about the foam ball coming off, as it has come off on one of the cleaning rods. Personally I don't like this, and prefer a traditional brush snake, with a small brush to go around the crook of the cornet, when inserted via the bell.

I didn't realise that Reka made a leadpipe swab. Sounds like one to avoid. I only use the mouthpiece brush of my Reka kit, as I like that it has a rubber bung on the tip, rather than sharp metal. There rest I find difficult to use.
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

...To clean the bell crook, after thoroughly soaking the orange foam ball, you insert the wooden ball through the valve port of the first valve, around the crook and out of the bell, and pull the orange foam ball through. This is a bit fiddly, and I am always worried about the foam ball coming off, as it has come off on one of the cleaning rods...

Louise,
That would be very nerve racking for me as well.

As far as the Reka swab, I did have to cut the flattened tip off the the end of the string in order to slide the cork back on it. I used a cement glue on the string and also around the outside of the cork. Seems to fix the problem, but I really can't see how one can pull it through a flugelhorn.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cshuetva wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

...To clean the bell crook, after thoroughly soaking the orange foam ball, you insert the wooden ball through the valve port of the first valve, around the crook and out of the bell, and pull the orange foam ball through. This is a bit fiddly, and I am always worried about the foam ball coming off, as it has come off on one of the cleaning rods...

Louise,
That would be very nerve racking for me as well.

Hi cshuetva

As far as the Reka swab, I did have to cut the flattened tip off the the end of the string in order to slide the cork back on it. I used a cement glue on the string and also around the outside of the cork. Seems to fix the problem, but I really can't see how one can pull it through a flugelhorn.

You shouldn't need to do all this.

I'm not sure about a flugelhorn, as I've only used a snake on mine.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: