• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Houston Gigging Scene

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickwees

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: The Houston Gigging Scene Reply with quote

I'm starting to prepare for masters auditions, and I'm looking for two things in a school. One, of course, a great teacher that I click with. My question for this forum comes with number two: a location that is full of musical opportunities that would be a good place to start a career as a professional musician.

I'm looking into the Shepherd School, knowing that Charles Geyer and Barbara Butler are among the best trumpet teachers in the world. My question is, how is the Houston music scene? The symphony is killer, but how is the jazz scene? Funk? Contemporary music? Are there many recording opportunities?

In a nutshell: Would one be able to freelance successfully in Houston?

Thanks for your help!
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are a couple guys and gals making it happen. The better scenes are in Austin and Dallas.

Lots of money around Houston though. Have you ever played in a cover band? You definitely will in Texas.

There's also a fair amount of very good jazz players there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: