• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sound To The Front

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Sound To The Front Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUbA5y1hnFg
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound To The Front Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
Would love for Mr. Adam students to clarify this thought. I think I know what it means but would appreciate enlightenment!

I would also like to hear more of this concept. Dr. Karl Seivers had spoken about this on the Bach forum which isn't active any longer.

I think the sound "out front" equates to resonance but I may be wrong. If anyone can share and explain this concept it could really help many give more presence to their sound.
'08 Bach factory custom "one off" 43*G SN#2008
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
'72 Bach 180S 43 SN#70503
'05 Bach VBS 196 Picc SN#560142
'07 Bach Chicago C SN#656602

Last edited by 65strad on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
okeyjeff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl Drivers. Humorful.
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a buddy of mine who is and Adam follower and sort of has the sound to prove it.

When he demonstrated it to me, it almost sounds like there is no sound until it hits something and reflects back. It feels like a punch in the face, as soon as there is air, there is sound. The pop in attack is from such a clean beginning and ending to tone production. Really, it is like turning on a light from the bell, very clean, and the projection is really insane, outside, you can hear it travel ridiculous distances and bounce back. He blows like hell too, but that is when demonstrating a big sound outside. Quiet playing is very smooth and soft. This btw, is my account of it, not really what he said about it, but ultimately, the trumpet was historically used to signal, and hearing a clean tone travel first hand, it's really cool and slightly freaky. That's the problem with sound, the written language is a poor way to convey the sound of brass tone.

Does this make sense to any Adam students on here?
okeyjeff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seivers...closer than Drivers, but still a little work to do.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl Sievers has resurrected the BAch site: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130767&highlight=sievers
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest corollary I could find between what I experience as "to the front" and something actually tangible was humming strongly while trying to keep the vibration of the hum located primarily in the nasal area. Don't strain the vocal chords to achieve a strong hum, just a very natural, "full-voiced" hum.

Coincidentally, after I "discovered" this technique, I cam upon this article: http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/tpin/Bill_Adam_revisited.html
The 2 most important lines (for this concept):

2. "Lean against the mouthpiece" the subtext of this is that pressure is an undeniable part of trumpet playing and that instead of pretending you don't use it....embrace it and control it. You go to the mpc rather than the mpc go to you in an uncontrolled and probably excessive manner.

!!3. Somewhere between the roof of your mouth to behind your eyes is where your sound "is" You find this spot that resonates the sound and you blow through it and it NEVER changes.

The 5 things on the list are the most important concepts for brass playing IMO (all within the context of "the" sound of course).

There are many similarities to vocal technique and trumpet playing. I think this is why people post videos of Jussi Bjorling...but many of these posts leave this "to the front" concept as something wildly intangible. To the front is VERY tangible and coupled with "the vivid imagination of the sound" will get you where you want to be. (#4 on the linked list is also a vocal technique...very useful if used correctly).

I have found great corollaries to Mr. Adam's teaching in the articles of Jay Friedman (www.jayfriedman.net). Mr. Adam's teachings were IMO nearly identical to the old chicago school of thought but Mr. Adam was able to deliver those concepts in a fashion that had incredible success.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
This

Oh. My. God.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpter1 wrote:
Billy B wrote:
This

Oh. My. God.

Now listen to Doc play this on the Trumpet Spectacular recording.

Notice the similarities.

That's "up front".
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Rod Franks, Mahler 6, talks about Front Reply with quote

Rod Franks, RIP, in the very intro of this masterclass, talks about front. I mean, the shape and physics of the trumpet creates wicked projection, so front is not a distance thing. Am i wrong in thinking front is more about a clean full attack (the vowel portion of whatever attack is full) fully supported by air, as Rod describes? So if you are starting the note at the top of the breath, you're pushing everything out front with the breath, no?

Link
okeyjeff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Franks is actually talking about the front of the note or the attack. "To the front" as far as being from an Adam perspective, is a little different. More of how you imagine where the sound is located i.e. sitting right right under your eyes..this is very difficult to describe even for the most articulate teacher and the potential is rife for misunderstanding.

for me it is helpful to imagine the sound with an "ah" syllable that is sort of a hybrid between saying "ah"...like when you go to the doctor and the "short a" sound in the word ashtray.

Some people use "tu" as well which helps things go forward as well, but to me creates a little bit more covered sound...still good though

The stuff abontrumpet posted above is actually quite good.

You might pose this question to Karl Sievers on the Bach Brass site on Facebook.

He can describe this as well as anyone and a lot of well meaning folks can muck this up pretty bad, IMO.

As always though it is better to have it demonstrated as opposed to described. Or demonstrated then described and rinse and repeat.
[/i]
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
tpter1 wrote:
Billy B wrote:
This

Oh. My. God.

Now listen to Doc play this on the Trumpet Spectacular recording.

Notice the similarities.

That's "up front".

Doc's "Trumpet Spectacular" remains one of my all time favorite recordings. Several tunes continue to leave me breathless. The Frank Proto arrangement of the "Carmen Fantasy" is stunning.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Franks, Mahler 6, talks about Front Reply with quote

nvidal wrote:
Rod Franks, RIP, in the very intro of this masterclass, talks about front. I mean, the shape and physics of the trumpet creates wicked projection, so front is not a distance thing. Am i wrong in thinking front is more about a clean full attack (the vowel portion of whatever attack is full) fully supported by air, as Rod describes? So if you are starting the note at the top of the breath, you're pushing everything out front with the breath, no?

Link

No
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Franks, Mahler 6, talks about Front Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
nvidal wrote:

Link

No

Whoa, this is very different, thanks for guiding me straight.

Those 5 tips were very helpful, especially the location of the sound in the head and blowing through it, and the corner thing! Thank you.

Incidently, are any audio recordings of lessons with Mr. Adam available to the general public? Can we contact someone as a special request?

Thanks
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Franks, Mahler 6, talks about Front Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
nvidal wrote:

Link

No

Whoa, this is very different, thanks for guiding me straight.

Those 5 tips were very helpful, especially the location of the sound in the head and blowing through it, and the firmness thing! Thank you.

Incidently, are any audio recordings of lessons with Mr. Adam available to the general public? Can we contact someone as a special request?

Thanks
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concepts of Bill Adam are very simple, so simple that in order to "get it" you must study with an Adam student who understands these concepts well enough to tailor them to your individual needs. There are some video recordings of a master class and an interview, but quite frankly I don't see how they can be of much help to anyone who hasn't already spent a great deal of time studying with a competent teacher.

Let me know your location and I'll try to find someone who can help with this.
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
The concepts of Bill Adam are very simple, so simple that in order to "get it" you must study with an Adam student who understands these concepts well enough to tailor them to your individual needs. There are some video recordings of a master class and an interview, but quite frankly I don't see how they can be of much help to anyone who hasn't already spent a great deal of time studying with a competent teacher.

Let me know your location and I'll try to find someone who can help with this.

Thanks Billy B, I am in the NYC/Northern NJ area.
Jonny Boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that really helps me get my sound forward is a lot of singing during my practice. Mr Adam had me sing lots of Getchell studies before I played them. firstly to make sure I was hearing the notes correctly in my mind and also projecting my voice (like Jussi Bjorling). When anything gets out of line now I immediately go back to that. Even on gigs.
In this day and age with loud sound systems it can get pretty noisy on stage (there are 5 singers in one particular group I play with). One thing I've found is if i don't have enough trumpet in the foldback I start to pronounce the sound further back (almost to hear it in my head). It's not long before my chops start to feel terrible. I then have to really focus on pronouncing my sound way to the front and it starts to come back again. It's such a simple thing like Billy B said. You only need to hear it from someone else. I have recordings of my lessons with Mr Adam (sorry, I can't share these as they are specific to my needs) and just hearing him sing a long tone helps me tremendously!
Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: