• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Retrieve the Lower lip

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ItaTrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Retrieve the Lower lip Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to PIVOT SYSTEM. I was reading the encyclopedia and I found the statement "always retrieve your lower lip during any mouthcorner inhalation." When I do so, the center of my mouth (upper and lower lip vibrating point) is no longer closed; in other words mi lips no longer "just touches", and some air passes through the center when inhaling; is it correct?

More: how do I NOT break the hermetic seal if I retrieve the lower lip? I'm quite confused, maybe I'm misunderstanding some term (perhaps I do not understand what the hermetic seal is supposed to be).

Stefano
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be useful.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Atrumpetherald.com+~retrieve+lower+lip&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Retrieve the Lower lip Reply with quote

ItaTrumpet wrote:
some air passes through the center when inhaling; is it correct?

I can't answer your full question but I do know Doc taught air should not be passing through the center during inhalations. Hopefully we'll get a better understanding of what is meant by retrieving the lower lip.
ItaTrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I understand correctly, the lower lip retrieving is only for the interphrase inhalations, and to bring the lip into its optimal position. Am I right?
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phrase "retrieve the lower lip" would apply to interphrase mouthcorner inhalations. If one plays with a "wet" setting this is a fairly easy thing to do. Because if it was a "standard" mouthcorner" inhalation, the lower lip would already be in position.

It also depends on how much the lower lip "blows out " during the playing. Everyone is different.

CLB
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Hollywood wrote:

It also depends on how much the lower lip "blows out " during the playing.

It's encouraging just to see I'm not the only who's ever experienced this. I'm getting better at noticing the sensation after the fact, but still can't catch myself doing it as it happens.

Is my understanding correct, that retrieving the lower lip is an on the bandstand technique, best used when you need to keep going regardless? Solving the problem is best addressed by soft playing, putty ball routine, and compression drills?
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subject of "retrieving the lower lip" can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

Essentially it's simply making sure that your lips get back to their initial relationship after playing in the low range where they tend to protrude more, especially the bottom lip. It's not only when taking a breath, although the quotes from the encyclopedia make it sound like that. Anytime you're coming out of the low range, with or without a breath, you need to make sure your bottom lip comes back in to its normal position instead of getting stuck out in a position where you can't ascend.

If you only do it on an inhalation, you risk interpreting it as resetting the mouthpiece, which it's not. It should happen entirely inside the mouthpiece. I think the O.P. was letting the pressure off and resetting.
ItaTrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, now I have the picture.

Stefano
PivotBone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,
That's a really great way to think about that!

Rich Hanks
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a long discussion with Doc about that because I didn't understand it either.

My own problem was not letting my lower lip out enough when going into the low range, so "retrieving" it didn't make any sense until I saw the whole picture.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

None of us (myself included) could have explained it better.

Funny......When I asked Doc about how to "retrieve the lower lip" his answer was "Just do it!!!".

You know how it used to be when you'd get in that studio with all the cool pictures hanging on the wall and the tons of old mouthpieces laying around everywhere there were a lot of things that you should have or wanted to ask Doc but the wonder of it all just carried you away to "Reinhardt Land"....

Then Doc would start with his stories......."Bunny Berigan was in here in 1940 and I told him......" . Trummy Young and Kai Winding both had me cut their rims down for them....."

Memories.

CLB
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your explanation of this, also, Doug. Thank you for emphasizing the importance of doing it both when coming out of the lower register and during mid-phrase inhalations.

I had tried to nail Doc down on that point long ago but had still been foggy about it, so again, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have expected it to be so important on trumpet. I always figured it was mostly a trombone thing.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do still play both, in a manner of speaking, although a bass trumpet sounds so much better than a trombone.

razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
The subject of "retrieving the lower lip" can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

Essentially it's simply making sure that your lips get back to their initial relationship after playing in the low range where they tend to protrude more, especially the bottom lip. It's not only when taking a breath, although the quotes from the encyclopedia make it sound like that. Anytime you're coming out of the low range, with or without a breath, you need to make sure your bottom lip comes back in to its normal position instead of getting stuck out in a position where you can't ascend.

If you only do it on an inhalation, you risk interpreting it as resetting the mouthpiece, which it's not. It should happen entirely inside the mouthpiece. I think the O.P. was letting the pressure off and resetting.

An eye-opener for me. Thank you Sir!
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Retrieving the lower lip" made immediate sense to me, and I find it's a useful sensation - as Doug says - to aim for even in the middle of a phrase (typically when coming out of the lower register).

What's the process and/or sensation of "retrieving the lower lip" like for an upstream player, though? Does it make sense in the same way?
JohnO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Retrieve the lower lip Reply with quote

Doug, I appreciate your comment with regards to coming out of the lower range. How about when coming out of a higher range, say starting above the staff and on up. Thank you.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's only in the low range that the bottom lip comes out in a way that needs to be "retrieved."
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Doc ever have any routines to help develop the sensation of needing to retrieve the lower lip? I've never caught mine getting blown out, but I still find the tell-tale ring from the mouthpiece across the red of my lower lip, and I don't set up that way. If I concentrate on holding it in proper position I get overly tight and my tone gets lousy. If I could tell when it slips out, that would be better. On a trumpet mouthpiece, it's not really supposed to happen in the first place, is it?
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're describing something very different. The "retrieving the lower lip" concept happens entirely inside the mouthpiece, and has nothing to do with where the mouthpiece rim is placed.

It sounds like you might be using an efficient mouthpiece placement, and then adjusting to a better position as you play. I'm not a Reinhardt expert at the level of the other folks here, but I'd imagine Doc would have recommended you spend some time working on your (free) buzzing and making sure you always place your mouthpiece on a wet embouchure which is set with "buzzing firmness". That should fix the issue in most cases, I would think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: