• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do you teach vibrato?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Billy B wrote:
I have never taught the mechanics of vibrato. The student learns by example.

Everyone is different, but that did not work for me when I was learning it, and it has not worked for a majority of students I have taught. I had one high school player who had a nice, controlled vibrato, and he really did not know how he produced it when first asked. The downside for him was trying NOT to use it.
My experience has been that most kids benefit from being taught and practicing it.

Brad

One first must learn to listen.

Yeah, well that's a nice succint little response, but IMO, one must then learn the mechanics of doing it. Most of my students are not able to simply acquire the technique through just listening to it any more than they are able to acquire skills like double tonguing (or triple tonguing, or increasing upper register, or ______) through some sort of musical osmosis process after they "learn to listen."
I believe a controlled, tasteful, appropriate to the musical genre and ensemble
situation vibrato has to be learned, "listening" alone will not do it.

Brad
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Billy B wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Billy B wrote:

Everyone is different, but that did not work for me when I was learning it, and it has not worked for a majority of students I have taught. I had one high school player who had a nice, controlled vibrato, and he really did not know how he produced it when first asked. The downside for him was trying NOT to use it.
My experience has been that most kids benefit from being taught and practicing it.

Brad

Yeah, well that's a nice succint little response, but IMO, one must then learn the mechanics of doing it. Most of my students are not able to simply acquire the technique through just listening to it any more than they are able to acquire skills like double tonguing (or triple tonguing, or increasing upper register, or ______) through some sort of musical osmosis process after they "learn to listen."

Brad

To each his own.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Billy B wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Billy B wrote:

Brad

Brad

To each his own.

Obviously.
MFaddicted
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: 3 types of vibrato Reply with quote

introduce the student and demo the three ways to get a vibrato and i am purposely leaving out breath vibrato
HAND MOVEMENT
LIP MOVEMENT
COMBINATION

Next, have the student try the hand movement and him her get used to making the pitch go flat then sharp

I prefer the combo so that is what i teach, but you should be able to take it from there
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: 3 types of vibrato Reply with quote

MFaddicted wrote:
introduce the student and demo the three ways to get a vibrato and i am purposely leaving out breath vibrato
HAND MOVEMENT
LIP MOVEMENT
COMBINATION

Next, have the student try the hand movement and him her get used to making the pitch go flat then sharp

I prefer the combo so that is what i teach, but you should be able to take it from there

How do you "combine" both? Do you mean using the hand on some pitches, and lip/jaw on others? And specifically how do you teach a student to "get used to" doing it? Start with a quarter note, then eighth note pattern?
I guess my point is most students that I teach need to learn a specific technique, simply having them listen to someone demonstrate it is not enough.....as it's not enough to learn other techniques. Most of my students need very specific, concrete, non-abstract exercises.

Brad
MFaddicted
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 types of vibrato Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
MFaddicted wrote:
HAND MOVEMENT
LIP MOVEMENT
COMBINATION

How do you "combine" both? Do you mean using the hand on some pitches, and lip/jaw on others? And specifically how do you teach a student to "get used to" doing it? Start with a quarter note, then eighth note pattern?
I guess my point is most students that I teach need to learn a specific technique, simply having them listen to someone demonstrate it is not enough.....as it's not enough to learn other techniques. Most of my students need very specific, concrete, non-abstract exercises.

Brad

Ummm that is why i said:
DEMO the three techniques of vibrato for brass players then have the student try all three, then steer them towards what you think will work.
For me , it is always the combo....just the way it is plus when you play up high you reduce the chance of getting a lip trill out by mstake
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed what you can do with tongue vibrato. Nobody mentioned that? Use that, and add hand vibrato to it, and BAM!

The other problem of course is those that can't turn it off. Ya gots ta be able to play a straight note ...
MFaddicted
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm ok ill give it a try.
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My playing is better since removing vibrato from my playing and trying to use some subtle hand vibrato instead.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 3 types of vibrato Reply with quote

MFaddicted wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
MFaddicted wrote:
HAND MOVEMENT
LIP MOVEMENT
COMBINATION

Brad

Ummm that is why i said:
DEMO the three techniques of vibrato for brass players then have the student try all three, then steer them towards what you think will work.
For me , it is always the combo....just the way it is plus when you play up high you reduce the chance of getting a lip trill out by mstake

Uh, ok, I get it, you may teach them to use more than one technique. Got it. I guess "combine" made me think they would somehow use more than one technique simultaneously on the same note. Mea culpa.

Brad
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the 3 types were:
hand
embouchure
breath

Anyway, I have the student play a passage while I finger their instrument and apply the hand vibrato. I think hand is the easiest to learn first. I explain and demonstrate the other 2, and the combination of the other 2. The student can experiment while listening to great players.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Bill W
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make students watch 3 hours of Lawrence Welk reruns per day!
1962 Quesnon Flugel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iMEHat1PXV0 Playing Maynard's "Hey There"
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or . . .

http://youtu.be/I2lVVwy9b_E
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: