• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Heavy Blow B'way Shows

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to go back thru 5 pages of stuff to see if "Young Frankenstein" was on this list.

Just finished a 2-week run of it. Extreme small pit - 2 keys, drums, bass & me.

I subbed on the B'way production, did not remember it being the blow that this one was, and not just because of the one horn.

Most tunes have app 1 min (+/-) between them. The longest break is about 6 min., and that happens in Act I.

Once Act II starts, it quickly becomes quite a blow. And when "Puttin' On The Ritz" gets going, it's not only on your face and becomes more demanding as the piece progresses, but the pages turns are a true....uh...unpleasant canine.

It's doable, but definitely plan on pacing and not doing anything more than you have to...which you should be doing anyway.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
shofar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Heavy Blow Reply with quote

It's been several years, but I seem to remember Superstar being a pretty good blow. But probably the most taxing and the most fun was Fosse. Someone else here mentioned Steel Pier. What a fun show that was to play.

What a enjoyable read seeing all of the great players here and the shows you have all played on. I can only hope to someday have the opportunity to play on so many of the different shows you all have worked on.

Roger
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
...it's not only on your face and becomes more demanding as the piece progresses, but the pages turns are a true....uh...unpleasant canine.

It's doable, but definitely plan on pacing and not doing anything more than you have to...which you should be doing anyway.
Ah, yes, the page turns. There were also several dozen of those in the Guys and Dolls book that were huge issues, esp when playing both parts. Balancing a plunger on one knee turning a page and going from one solo part to the other.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, does anybody use a tablet, like an iPad, with a Bluetooth foot pedal for reading music while playing shows?

I've done this at band concerts and church gigs, and it makes page turns easy. Just keep playing and tap the pedal with your foot to turn the page.

Are there issues that would make this a bad idea for playing shows?
Piccolo Stomvi
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used an iPad with a foot pedal on a couple of shows. I use ForScore as the app. It takes longer to put notes in than it does to pencil them in a book, but it is convenient to be able to turn the page with your foot.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scan every show I play and I have used the iPad on several. It's just a little small for my old eyes. I hope Apple releases a large version this fall.

Of course, I keep the book under my chair in case there's a problem.

As an aside, I print a copy to use in the pit so I can mark to my heart's content and never touch the part I'm given, save to scan it....

HTH

Ben

p.s. Tim, I'm glad you thought "Puttin' on the Ritz" was a blow; I just presumed I'm getting wimpy in my old age...
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sub at Cats..only on 2nd and 3rd,as the 2nd and 3rd players would move up,and I thought that was a tough show.Playing the lead book was Victor Paz,who was a machine..He would go weeks without missing,and the Hi G# was just another note for him.Impressive to say the least.Once I remember he was having an off day(for him) and he all of a sudden announced "I think a cockroach took a sh-t in my mouthpiece" Funny guy! But an amazing player..Couple of years ago i played a show called Come Fly Away which was the music of Sinatra;I was hired on 3rd(4 tpt section believe it or not) and playing the piss out of the Lead book was Dave Stahl.This show was like playing with Sinatra but with Segues and very little down time,so there were like 4 spots where you had to really hammer..not to mention a solo on "Lets face the Music and Dance" that Dave re worked to end on a D above..yeah ,that one..I dont think he missed in 6 months,and the sub list was pretty thin! Was happy to stay on my book!..Dreamgirls was a tough one too..Did a regional of Gypsy with 1 trumpet and that sucked..And a regional of Producers with 2 tpts,which was hard..Yeah I think the 2 lead players I mentioned fall into the line of Superheroes ..gotta go practice
Bill W
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last post on this topic Ive played The Producers and Drowsey Chaperone. Both challenging but kick ass lead books.
1962 Quesnon Flugel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iMEHat1PXV0 Playing Maynard's "Hey There"
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
I scan every show I play and I have used the iPad on several. It's just a little small for my old eyes. I hope Apple releases a large version this fall.

I too am hoping for the much rumored but never confirmed ipad "Pro" (supposedly with a 12.9" to 13.2" display). If it ever actually happens, I'll be first in line to buy one. The worry is the rumor has been around for almost two years now, and still nothing.

benlewis wrote:
...I print a copy to use in the pit so I can mark to my heart's content and never touch the part I'm given, save to scan it....

Yes. It's just a shame that the all the erasing and re-fixing that goes on with the books wears holes in the pages. You'd think there would be some interest in real errata lists (or heaven forbid, fixing and cleaning up all the original copyist errors).
MaestroTrpt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill W wrote:
Since my last post on this topic Ive played The Producers and Drowsey Chaperone. Both challenging but kick ass lead books.

Agreed re: The Producers. The show is just so well-orchestrated and arranged. Everyone who hasn't played it should put it on their "to play" list. Definitely some high stuff though (F's and such).

Did you play with full brass section for that? Brass-wise, I was the only trumpet, along side a french horn player and trombone player. Fun bunch (although musically, some of the cool harmonies were lacking due to only 3 of us....)
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill W wrote:

Drowsy Chaperone is one of my favorites from recent years. There were just a few high parts I had to take down including the "I Am Aldolpho" number that has a brief high solo and the tune ends on a high A hit. Yeah, not in my wildest dream.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
sapper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim - heard you at Young Frankenstein a couple of weeks ago. Well done with a really small pit and house. I played the tour a few years back and agree it's a blow, those dance tunes go on for pages and pages. Bravo !!
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

american boy wrote:
I used to sub at Cats..only on 2nd and 3rd,as the 2nd and 3rd players would move up,and I thought that was a tough show.Playing the lead book was Victor Paz,who was a machine..He would go weeks without missing,and the Hi G# was just another note for him.Impressive to say the least.Once I remember he was having an off day(for him) and he all of a sudden announced "I think a cockroach took a sh-t in my mouthpiece" Funny guy! But an amazing player..Couple of years ago i played a show called Come Fly Away which was the music of Sinatra;I was hired on 3rd(4 tpt section believe it or not) and playing the piss out of the Lead book was Dave Stahl.This show was like playing with Sinatra but with Segues and very little down time,so there were like 4 spots where you had to really hammer..not to mention a solo on "Lets face the Music and Dance" that Dave re worked to end on a D above..yeah ,that one..I dont think he missed in 6 months,and the sub list was pretty thin! Was happy to stay on my book!..Dreamgirls was a tough one too..Did a regional of Gypsy with 1 trumpet and that sucked..And a regional of Producers with 2 tpts,which was hard..Yeah I think the 2 lead players I mentioned fall into the line of Superheroes ..gotta go practice

Thanks for sharing that man. Trigg is other-worldly!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
american boy wrote:

Thanks for sharing that man. Trigg is other-worldly!

The "Dave" he's referring to is Dave Stahl.

But yes...Dave Trigg is most def other-worldly. BOTH those Daves...sheesh!!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapper wrote:
Tim - heard you at Young Frankenstein a couple of weeks ago. Well done with a really small pit and house. I played the tour a few years back and agree it's a blow, those dance tunes go on for pages and pages. Bravo !!

uh oh....I play to be discovered...not to get found out!

Ya shoulda stopped up to the pit & introduced yerself! We're doing Full Monty now. Haven't yet been able to convince the pit that we all should be at least Half Monty.

Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
We're doing Full Monty now. Haven't yet been able to convince the pit that we all should be at least Half Monty.
Oh, I dunno, careful, you might get a hernia...
sapper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, last time I played Monty, they paid the band extra to keep our clothes on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: