• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Artisan mpc help!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justincopelandmusic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Bach Artisan mpc help!!! Reply with quote

Does anyone know the specs of Bach's new Artisan trumpet mpcs? I'm wondering what I can compare the sizes to, particularly the cup diameters.

This is assuming that the sizes aren't the same as the standard sizes today.

Unless they are.

In that case, forget I said anything.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a guess - similar specs, slightly different blank, more expensive.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Justin!
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried a few of them. They are completely different than the regular Bach pieces. You just have to try them, there is basically no comparison.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
I have tried a few of them. They are completely different than the regular Bach pieces. You just have to try them, there is basically no comparison.

+1

I have the Artisan 5C. Haven't played other sizes. It is nothing like a current 5C or like a Mt Vernon 5C a colleague of mine has. My first impression was that I really liked the rim contour and diameter but everything else, not so much. Initially I felt it to be really tubby. An overly dark, obscure sound.

After acclimating to it I found it to be reasonably flexible in terms of being easy to play in all registers and able to color the sound somewhat. But the sound is missing something. Those middle overtones that the "Bach sound" has that we associate with resonance. I don't get those with the Artisan 5C in the same way I can get them with a regular Bach mouthpiece.

It might be an issue with diameter. The Artisan 5C "feels" to me to have a smaller inner diameter than a normal 5C. Maybe I'd get more lip flapping with a larger diameter.

But those are my subjective observations. You may have a completely different take on it, so I'd say its worth a try. Probably worth trying different sizes as well.

Regards,
justincopelandmusic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe! Sorry I'm late.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

MrOlds, I'm curious as to what horn you normally play. When you mentioned the sound you experienced in the middle register, do you feel it was uncharacteristic to your natural sound on your horn (as a result of the mpc)?

I'm thinking about trying a 1.5B. I play a Curry 2B at the moment, and from what I've heard, the contour of the rim of the Artisans makes the diameter feel a bit smaller than a standard size would. Therefore, I'm hoping a 1.5 won't be too far off from the feel of a 2. Does that sound crazy?
ertatta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that will work out well for u. i normally tell students or friends who are interested in an artisan that normally play 1.5 or 1.25 diameters, to go for the artisan 1C.

i will say that the artisan has a way of organizing the harmonic spectrum of ones sound in a way that almost seems to improve ones intonation within their personal scale/interval.

ultimately it sounds cleaner with a more defined core if that's what you're looking for. i'd also say that they respond in a more efficient way.
justincopelandmusic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input, ertatta. That's very helpful! I think I will definitely look into it.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justincopelandmusic wrote:
I'm curious as to what horn you normally play. When you mentioned the sound you experienced in the middle register, do you feel it was uncharacteristic to your natural sound on your horn (as a result of the mpc)?

Hi Justin - I play a large bore Bach. In terms of the harmonics, I meant the relative strength of the middle harmonics in the sound in any particular register, not just a deficiency of sound in the middle register of the horn. Sorry if my earlier comments were confusing on that.

But to your question, yes the Artisan sound was uncharacteristic of my "normal" sound on my Bach horn compared to say my sound with a similar size Elkhart Bach mouthpiece or (Stork or Curry). At first it was quite dull, dark and obscure. After acclimating it got better but still not as complex a sound as with an off the shelf Elkhart Bach mouthpiece.

But that could just be me and the way I play. You could have a great experience with it. So don't let me discourage you.

Best,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: