• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback after 34-years?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Comeback after 34-years? Reply with quote

Haven't played any brass instrument since I played mellophone with the Guardsmen at DCI finals in 1980. I am thinking about breaking out my old Strat, having it cleaned and serviced (valves are frozen) and trying to relearn how to play. It's been 34-years but I want (need) a musical outlet. Obviously I'll have to rebuild whatever chops I have left from scratch and the challenge will be time. if I have a 75-minute in the car each way every morning and every afternoon I am thinking that I may start by doing mouthpiece exercises every day and trying to play my horn every evening (or every other evening). I guess the question is what advice do you have for a guy starting over after so many years away from the horn?

Thanks,

JDG
RLG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides practice, I would suggest finding an outlet to play. Church, community band or orchestra, etc. Being a comeback player myself, I've found that an outlet gives you greater motivation to practice and get the chops back.

Sounds as if you will be able to do a lot of mouthpiece buzzing during your daily commute. That will definitely help your chops. You may want to consider a PETE. I got one recently and it really does help strengthen the muscles.

Welcome back.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our pros here who also teaches, set up a thread where he journaled his own comeback. How much he practiced, what, etc. He had a pretty serious accident/injury to his mouth, thus the forced layoff. He's very definitely a Claude Gordon guy so lots of pedals. Maybe the best way to find that old thread would be to keep reading here til you come across a post by John Mohan, then ask him where that thread is?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing! Regarding advice, I think the most useful thing you can go right now is get a teacher, even if just for a few lessons. A teacher can help you develop a good playing form -- effective and efficient -- and decrease the likelihood that you'll develop bad habits.

Second, be patient! It took you years to develop range, endurance and control, and it will take you years to do so again. Add practice time very gradually, and rest as much as you play.

Third, once you are ready (6 months?), join a community band or church ensemble. Don't do this too soon as you'll need to build up enough endurance so that you can play through a 1-2 hour rehearsal without relying on bad habits to get you through -- excess pressure, etc.

If you can get a teacher -- in person or via Skype -- he/she will work with you on determining what/how to practice, approaches to mouthpiece buzzing during your commute etc. If you cannot work with a teacher here are three final pieces of advice.

Fourth, there are people who strongly advocate the benefits of mouthpiece buzzing and those who are just as staunchly opposed to it. If you intend to mouthpiece buzz during your commute do so purposefully. Jim Thompson's "The Buzzing Book" might be a good place for you to start.

Fifth, you may still have your old method and etude books. If so, start with the basics in your introductory method books (Rubank, World Method, etc.) and don't be in a rush to add more difficult material. If you don't have your old books, two to consider starting with are Herbert L. Clarke's "Elementary Studies" or David Hickman's "100 Progressive Lessons."

Sixth, wait (quite) a while before you buy any new "gear." If your local repair shop can return your Bach Strad to good working order you'll have a professional model horn that will get you through at least the first few years of your comeback, and may well be the only horn you need. Don't waste money on changing to another trumpet until you have fully regained your command of the horn and thus can figure out what kind of set up might work better for you. As for mouthpieces, if your current one isn't huge, tiny, shallow or deep then it is probably fine for you at this point. If you need a new mouthpiece then I would suggest going with something "middle of the road" like a Bach 5C or 3C and then being very hesitant to switch to something else unless you are working with a teacher. You can waste a lot of money on mouthpieces and even set yourself back....

Good luck and have fun!
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Comeback after 34-years? Reply with quote

Curmudgeon wrote:
Haven't played any brass instrument since I played mellophone with the Guardsmen at DCI finals in 1980. I am thinking about breaking out my old Strat, having it cleaned and serviced (valves are frozen) and trying to relearn how to play. It's been 34-years but I want (need) a musical outlet. Obviously I'll have to rebuild whatever chops I have left from scratch and the challenge will be time. if I have a 75-minute in the car each way every morning and every afternoon I am thinking that I may start by doing mouthpiece exercises every day and trying to play my horn every evening (or every other evening). I guess the question is what advice do you have for a guy starting over after so many years away from the horn?

Thanks,

JDG

I was there that same night, with Garfield. It also marked the start of my 33 year hiatus.

Just about a year ago I joined a community band. Took me a few weeks of playing at home to get actual notes coming out. I don't manage to practice as much as I need, I have taken a few lessons along the way. I'm a mostly functional 3/4T now. I don't have much endurance yet, but my tone is ok and my range is effective thru G above the staff.

The key is to get someplace you can play regularly, do what practice you can, and take it at your pace. It can be done.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your strad put into playing condition - most likely a cleaning and lube will be enough - and find someone to give you regular lessons. Hooking up with a teacher made a big difference for me after 40+ years.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH and enjoy the ride. Sitting and breathing, when done right, is its own path to lots of things - things that maybe aren't "things"! - including health and happiness.
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read through all the previous posts: a lot of good advice, I agree with all of it.

Five years ago I ended a 40 year layoff, so I know what you are about to go through. The single best investment I made to get back on track was to find a good teacher. Keep this in mind: You DON'T KNOW what you DON'T KNOW. You can eventually figure things out on your own, but you can get to where you want to be much faster with some competent help.

Hup
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Comeback after 34-years? Reply with quote

Curmudgeon wrote:
I guess the question is what advice do you have for a guy starting over after so many years away from the horn?

Thanks,

JDG

Lessons
Iriani

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: DCI!? Drum Corps Rules! Reply with quote

From a fellow traveler...hope you enjoy the journey the way I do. I wasn't in a corps, but I attended the VFW Natl Championships for 4 years in a row back in the early 70s. That stuff gets in your blood! Lancers, Scouts, Troopers, Cavaliers...my heart is pounding just thinking about it. Since you come from that tradition, you will have the drive and determination to get through the ups and downs of your comeback. I went through school with Jay Bocook, of DCI. He was a phenom by the 9th grade. As our Drum Major in high school, be was a huge influence over our style and field presence - a lot like drum corps today. Yeah, you really need to find a band...get back inside that big machine, in the driver's seat in the trumpet section! Have fun!
Curry DC cornet mpc
Olds Ambassador Los Angeles Cornet
Curry 3DC O cornet mpc
Olds Ambassador Alto Horn Eb and F slides
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessons were key to my successful comeback.
Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked my horn: it's a Model 37, med-large bore, serial # 44616 making it from the late 60's. Other than a little tarnish it's in very good condition and plays well (although I need to find some valve oil).
trptplyr35

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit for several years twice. Take your time, enjoy it, and don't practice too much. The good news is, many bad habits you may have developed could be minimized or gone altogether, so you can start fresh. Enjoy!
Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I decided to go all in and sent my Bach to Osmun for a complete work over. Every dent removed, cleaned inside and out and the valves rebuilt. The horn arrived today and it was magical. I sounded better today than I did 34-years ago (at least for the 5-minutes it took to run out of chops). First lesson Friday pm and I can not wait.

Last edited by Curmudgeon on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in for some real fun with your comeback. Taking some lessons helped me a great deal. I heard some good advice that helped things along. Also I found that two or more short practice sessions a day helped more than one long one. It took six months or longer before I was comfortable joining a local community band but once I did, the enjoyment increased quite a bit.

Today's comeback adventure has many exciting resources. Check out the Trumpet Herald frequently. Explore youtube clips that have trumpet players. Look at all the trumpet etude books that can be easily ordered in paper or purchased in electronic forms to be viewed on your computer or ipad.

Good luck and enjoy!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osmun, actually, but good decision and welcome back!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
One of our pros here who also teaches, set up a thread where he journaled his own comeback. How much he practiced, what, etc. He had a pretty serious accident/injury to his mouth, thus the forced layoff. He's very definitely a Claude Gordon guy so lots of pedals. Maybe the best way to find that old thread would be to keep reading here til you come across a post by John Mohan, then ask him where that thread is?

Well, it's right here:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113929

To the OP (Curmudgeon): Love your User ID and welcome to the Forum! Welcome back to the zanny world of trumpet playing as well! If you follow the daily routine and its progression that I outline in the topic thread pertaining to the above URL address, I think you'll find it helpful. You probably need to modify it a bit and perhaps start out a little easier, as though it represented a good starting point for me after that lip injury, I had been playing professionally for most of my adult life.

Note that I now teach online and have students all over the world (we use Skype). I'd be happy to help you personally if and when you feel it's worth an investment of money (about $150 a month for lessons every couple of weeks). If we went that route, I would set you up with a personalized Daily Routine to do for the following two weeks until the next lesson. Having studied with Claude Gordon for many years and having played professionally for 35 years I've got a decent amount of experience in learning and now teaching how to develop tremendous ability on a brass instrument. Here's what another Comeback Player had to say recently about studying with me (original thread can be found at: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130263 ):

dixieplayer wrote:
(this is a repost resulting from an accidental deletion of the original post)

Im a comeback player (of sorts). I played semi pro (meaning I got paid for gigs, but never made my living solely playing the trumpet) for 40+ years. About 2 years ago I pretty much stopped playing, and practicing, retired from my day job, and figured my playing days were over. I was wrong.
Got an offer from an old friend who was putting a Dixieland band together, and needed a trumpet player. I knew a few of the other guys in the band so I said yes. It was then I discovered how lacking my playing was. It was painfully obvious I wasnt playing well, and keeping up with the other guys in the band was not even close.
So I decided to practice, and step it up. I designed my own practice routine and really dug in to practice. I continued for about 15 weeks and found I was getting nowhere. Tone was lacking, range not like before, endurance abysmal. All that surprised and frustrated me. I was at a bit of a loss to explain why all this practice was not working. So I decided to do some research and get a teacher. Enter John Mohan.
I selected John because he is a proponent of the Claude Gordon method. A method I researched and made the most sense to me. I do well with structured routines and the CG method is that.
My first lesson with John was in person, and I found him to be personable, a good communicator, and above all very knowledgeable in matters of playing trumpet and the CG method. My first lesson was quite enjoyable. What surprised me was the first assignment I was given. I had been practicing at least 2 hours per day. The material John assigned was about an hours worth of practice.
He indicated he thought I had been over practicing. I found that odd, but decided I would adhere to his instructions and see what came of them.
Well I have been taking lessons with John about 2 months now, and there have been some very positive results. He was right, I had been over practicing. He brought me back to the basics, (fundamentals) and prescribed a daily regimen of practice on those fundamentals. (flex studies, pedal tones, single, double and triple tonging, and range studies).
I am now noticing progress. My endurance is up significantly (not yet where I want it, but good progress), breathing is MUCH improved, (John and the CG method are very adamant about proper breathing), playing accuracy is improved, and playable, usable range is improved. When I shared these improvements, with John and thanked him for the direction, he was rather humble. His reply: Hey, I didnt invent this stuff, I just teach it. Im pretty happy with progress now. BTWI highly recommend John as a CG teacher. He knows his stuff.
Soif you are serious about a comeback, find a teacher, and get to work. I know it sounds trite, but what you practice, and how you practice is very important.
I now know what not to do, and am beginning to learn what to do. (it works a little different than when we were in high school and college, but it does work!)

Okay, gratuitous self-promotion is ending now. Feel free to contact me via the e-mail button or Private Message if you'd like my help.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

Just read the rest of the entries in this thread after making my post and I see now that you already had scheduled lessons. If you're happy with your teacher, than by all means, stick with him or her. But if not, feel free to contact me if you'd like my help.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advise so far.

I'd add that I too would caution against lots and lots of buzzing. It can be counterproductive for some, and is guaranteed be counterproductive for anyone if done wrong.

I'd also add that more mature players like us really need to regulate the intensity and length of practice. What you may have been able to endure in younger years will probably destroy you now. Build, don't tear down. Your patience will be rewarded.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Osmun, actually, but good decision and welcome back!

I stand corrected. My apologies. That's what I get for typing on my iPhone when tired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: