• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New short shank mouthpiece for Conn 36A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: New short shank mouthpiece for Conn 36A Reply with quote

Hello,

My 36A cornet was built before 1958 so, according to Conn Loyalist, it needs a Conn short shank mouthpiece.

But I'd really like to know if there are any current mouthpiece makers that can take a special order and build mouthpieces for these older Conn cornets. I'd also like to carefully pick the rim and cup shape. So the original Conn short shank mouthpiece is not my first choice so far.

Even with a special order, it would help a lot if the maker already has all the specs and if he's already done this before.

I've seen somewhere that Mark Curry makes them but it's been two weeks and I'm still waiting for an answer to my email regarding this subject. Do you have any news about Mark Curry?

Do you suggest any other mouthpiece maker that builds these mouthpieces according to the correct specs?

Thanks!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subject line should be specific as my order:

Curry 7FLD on Conn cornet shank

People have gotten response when specific. Stuff like: hey, I was wondering, doesn't seem to get any response.

On a related topic. My pre-1958 Conn 80A takes all my Curry, Flip Oakes, Wick and GR mouthpieces with no problem. I don't get it either. They are all short shank MP's, sure, but try what you have first.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be persistent and yes, short and to the point. Once I was able to get a hold of him, he had my piece to me in less than a week. I have a 1941 12A that required the short shank.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry makes a CSC shank for this (from the Curry website):

NEW!! Conn short cornet blank now available! Pre-1958 (serial numbers less than 700,00) Conn cornet afficianados can now order their favorite Curry cornet cup in the correct size for these popular cornets. At 2.5" long with the correct 60 thousandths/inch taper (and correct shank diameter) these vintage cornets speak easier with better intonation! Thanks to Rick Henrickson of NYC and Alan Hancock (UK) for their insightful help and research. For more, check out this informative link http://www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/ConnArticle34.html.

Also you can order a special Conn short shank backbore by Jim New from Kanstul (Warburton thread).
He makes a copy of the pre-1958 Conn 4 bb (original of Christine Derksen, Conn loyalist).

I have a CSC 8.5BBC made by Curry, excellent mp (I use it on my 1942 80A) and the Kanstul made bb. The last one I use on my 36A as a practice instrument with my 4M- or Arturo-trumpetcups connected.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: New short shank mouthpiece for Conn 36A Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
I've seen somewhere that Mark Curry makes them but it's been two weeks and I'm still waiting for an answer to my email regarding this subject. Do you have any news about Mark Curry?

Try placing the order through Osmun Music instead of Mark directly. He doesn't deal direct any longer.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Curry answered me.

He will make a VC cup/blank and adapt the shank so it fits 36A's slightly different taper.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks guys.

Thanks Mark!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My VC fits perfectly. This is curious.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin Custom Brass makes a vintage Conn shank too, I think.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason "normal" short shank mouthpieces like the Wicks fit quite good in pre-1958 Conn cornets. Both my 80A and the 36A plays very good with a Wick4(B) and no wobbling!
I have a Curry 8.5VC but I don't use it, it's really a weird piece!
I prefer the DW above the VC. Soundswise they are close IMO, The VC being somewhat "lighter".
BTW the VC is short shank and fits just like the Wicks quite good in the old cornets. Intonation is as far my abilities go no problem with both the VC and the DW4.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every modern cornet mouthpiece I ever tried, long or short, fit into my 1923 80A New Wonder without wobbling, and they generally played just fine.

I finally got around to measuring the gap a year or two ago, and the results were eye-opening. All the modern mouthpieces -- Wick, Bach, Schilke, others -- inserted so far as to result in a *negative* gap. That is to say, the end of the shank was past the beginning of the leadpipe. I can only assume that decades of having smaller shanks jammed into the receiver expanded the beginning of the leadpipe to accept the tip of the shank.

The two vintage Conn cornet pieces I have, a really old Wonder and a Precision 3, both have less insertion, resulting in a gap of about 0.10". I can't claim that they play a whole lot better than the modern mouthpieces, but I don't get along very well with their sharp rims.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most pre-1958 Conn cornetreceivers are destroyed by using modern mp's with force.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The many mouthpieces will ..fit.. yet the blow is so much better with the correct amount of shaft in the receiver.

Even the Conn mpcs, each a 4, give a different feel. The slightly shorter older bit has no ridge loop. It works much better than either the ridged 60's, same size, or the Connstellation brethren.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1958 was a grey area for shanks, apparently the years between 1958 to 1961 were a mixed bag of shanks for all brasswinds as far as mouthpiece receivers. I have a 1959 80-A that takes a modern shank and a 1961 28-A that takes a vintage shank. A friend that plays trombone has a similar situation, has an old 88-H and 12-H that do the same thing.
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: