• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beat up Chicago or Burbank Benge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Beat up Chicago or Burbank Benge Reply with quote

I have a presentation I have to give as an upperclassman, and I decided to give mine over Elden Benge and his horns. I own a UMI 3ML and a LA CG benge. I am looking to show an example of an earlier model. Preferably a Burbank or Chicago. I am asking the trumpetherald community if anyone has one or has seen one in a pawn shop, repair shop, or has one laying around. I don't need it in great condition (Dents and wear is fine). If you know of one, I would like to purchase it. I know I am crazy, but I only have around $200 to spend. That's why I'm a little less concerned about condition. I just need it for this presentation in about a month so if you know of anything, please let me know.

Thank you
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Facebook page called Benge Trumpet Fanatics, might be worth a look to see if someone is near your area who would let you borrow one. But finding one for sale at that price, even in terrible condition, as others have said, is unlikely.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are crazy then my old friend Joe Lill is way out there. He did his dissertation at Northwestern on Benge trumpets. Check it out:

http://www.musicbyjoelill.com/benge/
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw a Chicago Benge on eBay that was such a wreck it was really just a parts horn and it still sold for around $1,000.00. Rarity will do that sometimes.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Beat up Chicago or Burbank Benge Reply with quote

trumpet2012fhl wrote:
I am looking to show an example of an earlier model. Preferably a Burbank or Chicago. I am asking the trumpetherald community if anyone has one or has seen one in a pawn shop, repair shop, or has one laying around. I don't need it in great condition (Dents and wear is fine). If you know of one, I would like to purchase it. I know I am crazy, but I only have around $200 to spend.

$200 will get you a used Bach TR300, not a Chicago or Burbank Benge - regardless of the condition.

As was said above, rarity and desirability does create value. There's not that many trumpets that this is true of, but you're asking about two for which it is.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your location? Maybe there's someone near you that has a Chicago or Burbank Benge who will just let you use it for your presentation.
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
What's your location? Maybe there's someone near you that has a Chicago or Burbank Benge who will just let you use it for your presentation.

I am about an hour and a half north of Dallas.

Also I was going to talk about how each horn was custom built, how you could choose a trigger first/third, or a 3rd valve spit lever or dump slide, etc. so if there are examples of that around, that would be nice too.
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Joe Lill Reply with quote

Joe is the definitive reference. Have him send you a copy of his material, enlarge the pictures...his time lines will give you your presentation.

www.musicbyjoelill.com/benge
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Joe Lill Reply with quote

ALaschiver wrote:
Joe is the definitive reference. Have him send you a copy of his material, enlarge the pictures...his time lines will give you your presentation. www.musicbyjoelill.com/benge

Joe is a good guy. Get in touch with him. Why reinvent the wheel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: