• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Choose the teacher, not the school!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajanik07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Choose the teacher, not the school! Reply with quote

It is not at all about the program. It is about the instruction you get from your teacher and the experience and inspiration you gain from your fellow students that you respect and admire along the way. I recently graduated from a conservatory and I can honestly tell you my experience was unbelievable and educational because I had the fortune of studying with some of the greatest teachers out there (Sean Jones, Roy Poper, Marcus Belgrave) and learn from some amazing students as well!
Educator
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the private teacher is probably the most important factor in selecting a school. But, it is also very important to be at a school that has good ensembles to play in, adequate theory and history professors, and decent practice spaces. If you plan on going on to graduate school or applying for professional music jobs, the reputation of the school is also a factor.

Dave Hickman
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree, but that's not the way I did it!

I chose the program, Wayne State University (jazz studies) and got two GREAT teachers in the bargain, Johnny Trudell (Motown's Funk Brothers amongst many other accomplishments), and Gordon Stump (first call session player in Detroit for decades). Gordon's a member here, BTW.
wtltrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth noting that you want to be in an area where you can at least get some sustainable work in the field. There are advantages, I think, to going to a school in the middle of nowhere with a KILLER program and a KILLER teacher, but if there's one stop sign and no real music scene, you're in a glorified think tank. Just one man's opinion, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: