• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should we keep allowing users with anonymous IDs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should TH participants be required to post under their real names?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 51 ]
No
59%
 59%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 127

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockford wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
rockford wrote:
I think it's good to leave it as a personal choice. There are many legitimate reasons why someone would want to keep a level of anonymity on a public forum like this. It's always obvious who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't based on the content and reputation of the posters. The actual name is not always important.

I worry about the kids in school, or parents, who don't know enough to differentiate.

If you look at the debates between credible posters they often have differing opinions about the same equipment.
I share the same concern about some of the advice offered here to parents and students. There's a lot of good stuff too. Ultimately it's up to individuals to interpret the credibility of what they read here. TH is just one source of information and, ideally, should be a supplement to the real life teachers in their lives.

Agreed.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I was one of the two forum members that caused this thread to "go South" and I posted an apology for my behavior which the Moderators took down. I want to again apologize for my behavior as this troll did take me there stating all kinds of vile things about my wife after repeatedly berating the notion of a Cincinnati Trumpet Hang in every conceivable manner.

Personally, I can understand folks wanting to be able to post Anonymously and I have no problem with that; however, there's always going to be someone out there with mental issues who feels emboldened to throw bull manure at others while hiding behind their computers keyboard.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What that troll did in your trumpet hang thread really sucks Russell. When it happened, I did a search on his past posts and many of them were quite legit. He even offered advice to someone regarding Claude's book "Systematic Approach" that showed he had at least a basic understanding of the book and all the books it makes use of. I find it distasteful and strange that anyone could be even remotely associated with my teacher and his method, and also be the type who acted as that guy acted.

Concerning the topic of this thread, there are good reasons offered by both sides of this discussion. I had expected a small majority to want to get rid of the anonymity option, but not enough of a majority to make it a good idea to do. I am surprised to see that the majority do want to keep the anonymity option, but some of the reasons given were quite compelling. In retrospect, given all of the messes I've managed to get myself into in debates with various trolls and "troll-types" over the years, ranging from method debates to "faster air" debates, I've often wondered how much political damage I've done to my own career by posting under my real name. Well, too late now!
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
StupidBrassObsession wrote:
...People change and their opinions etc change over time. You never know when that stupid thing you said in your youth might spring back and bite you in the backside years later. Having your real name attached to it isn't going to stop you saying it, it's just going to make you regret it twice as much...
Now we all know your name is Wynton Marsalis!!

hah! If only... But it's a good point... Even very intelligent, virtuosic, demi-god players say things they regret. What hope have the rest of us got? haha
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I posted under my actual name, nobody would know who I was.
When I call up a certain trumpet maker I need to say that it is Trumpetmike before he knows who it is (he does know my real name, but I am always referred to as Trumpetmike).
When I first went to ITG I managed to remain mostly anonymous - I wasn't wearing the rather subtle headgear and had my real name on my name badge. I have now been to enough that many people know both sides of my trumpet life.

I honestly don't care whether someone is posting under their actual name or under an anonymous title - it is what people say that makes me know whether to trust what they say. There are people here who use their proper names (well, as much as anyone can tell) that I will avoid and there are anonymous posters who always give great advice. There is also the third category - people who post under an anonymous name, but I have got to know who the are over the years I have been posting on TH and know to trust what they say (I am sure we can all think of some of these).
malamute

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: anonimity Reply with quote

I would be happy to use my real name, as long as I dont have to change the pic, My dog is better looking and younger!

Oh! my avatar is missing!
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
trumpet_cop wrote:
Despite my account being totally anonymous, I did vote yes. The repercussions of not having a pseudonym to hide behind are greater reaching than just being banned or having your internet credibility destroyed. If for example there was a member in my area who was blatantly disrespectful of anyone, I would not hire them or refer them and I would make sure people knew who they would be getting involved with.

As I've read many of these threads for years, I finally got sick of several members who are NOT anonymous bullying people around with their not helpful, sarcastic remarks, or just belittling those who are legitimately asking questions and seeking the ever elusive, "polite and helpful response". I made this account so that I could finally call people out on their BS and poor attitudes when they deserved it.

If the anonymous names go, it's no skin off my teeth. I'll make one with my real name. I think people just need to quit being massive ego tripping jerks. If you want to troll people, go get an xbox and play call of duty.

From reading this it seems as if your real name must be Pot.

trumpet_cop asked me what this meant so I thought that I would answer here because there may be others who didn't understand my statement.

Pot refers to his tendency in his posts to call the kettle black.

Need I explain further?
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
Heim wrote:
trumpet_cop wrote:
Despite my account being totally anonymous, I did vote yes. The repercussions of not having a pseudonym to hide behind are greater reaching than just being banned or having your internet credibility destroyed. If for example there was a member in my area who was blatantly disrespectful of anyone, I would not hire them or refer them and I would make sure people knew who they would be getting involved with.

As I've read many of these threads for years, I finally got sick of several members who are NOT anonymous bullying people around with their not helpful, sarcastic remarks, or just belittling those who are legitimately asking questions and seeking the ever elusive, "polite and helpful response". I made this account so that I could finally call people out on their BS and poor attitudes when they deserved it.

If the anonymous names go, it's no skin off my teeth. I'll make one with my real name. I think people just need to quit being massive ego tripping jerks. If you want to troll people, go get an xbox and play call of duty.

From reading this it seems as if your real name must be Pot.

trumpet_cop asked me what this meant so I thought that I would answer here because there may be others who didn't understand my statement.

Pot refers to his tendency in his posts to call the kettle black.

Need I explain further?

Certainly don't see you offering up your name and info, Chefmate. I clearly stated why I made my account. When not doing what I set out to do, I am at least contributing to the conversations around the forum.

Later, Chefmate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: