• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shim kits from Harrelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Shim kits from Harrelson Reply with quote

I have been toying with the idea of getting these just to try out. It is kind of expensive to just go out on a limb, so I was wondering if anyone has tried these out? Did it help with playing,mor are they just a bunch of hype? What did it help fix? Any problems with them.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks

Trumpet2012fhl[/url]
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try rubber O rings as a start
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one's tried this?
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are pretty enlightening. I have the .345 kit for Bb and they'll help clue you into the gap that you like best. A $100 temporary thing is way nicer than having your receiver ripped off, reset and resoldered. The full gap solution set comes with the shims, the measurement tool and the removal/installation tool. Keep in mind, these will only allow you to test a gap reduction. You'll have to use the paper trick to lengthen the gap.

Last edited by jvand678 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
hilgenboogie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited Jason's shop in June on a Denver gig and I got to try a bunch of stuff. He liked my Olds Recording, and his SWE trim kit made a huge difference on the horn immediately. He also pointed out that my receiver had been reamed out to an extra large bore by an earlier owner. He gave me a shim insert to make the bore the size the horn was supposed to have, and it lessened the gap. This also dramatically improved the horn. I would recommend experimenting with the gap shims, especially if you play with multiple mouthpieces on the same horn. Really interesting stuff.
Matt
aspeyr1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things are great! The gap on my bach C was much bigger than "normal." A buddy of mine stuck a shim into my horn and I was expecting nothing at all. Immediately my articulation was clearer and the slotting was slightly better. The sound became a bit "brighter." They certainly do change the way your horn plays.

I play with one of the shims in my trumpet all of the time now (partially because it is difficult to remove). It makes testing mouthpieces a bit more difficult having to measure all of the gaps and replace shims as needed. However, I feel you get a much more accurate perspective as to how the mouthpiece plays in your horn when fitted "optimally."

But as was stated in earlier posts, you can only shorten the gap, if you have a problem with the gap being to small this won't do anything for you (to my knowledge). Do so research on gaps, there is quite a bit of info out there!
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspeyr1 wrote:
you can only shorten the gap, if you have a problem with the gap being to small this won't do anything for you (to my knowledge). Do so research on gaps, there is quite a bit of info out there!

I know my gap is really large on my Bb, so no worries there. I just want to make sure that these things are really going to make a difference. I don't want to spend that money without them doing much.
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the shim kit, and I found for some trumpets, it really improved response and playability. It worked wonders on a previous Eb/D trumpet I had.

I do have one major issue with the shims though... 6 out of 10 times, the shims come out after I swab the leadpipe. I could go from receiver down, but that does not clean as effective.

I'm looking at just getting a schilke type taper to where less gap is achieved.

Last edited by cshuetva on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cshuetva wrote:
I do have one major issue with the shims though... 6 out of 10 times, the shims come out after I swab the leadpipe. I could go from receiver down, but that does not clean as effective.

Is it that much of a pain to put them back in?
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet2012fhl wrote:
Is it that much of a pain to put them back in?

Yes
aspeyr1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a pain to put back in the horn whatsoever!

I can put the shim in the receiver correctly in probably 4-5 seconds.

If you have been playing there is a bit of moisture on the end of your mouthpiece. Hold the mpc upside down, place the shim on the mouthpiece, then insert into the horn at approximately a 45 degree angle. This has worked with the smallest and largest shims

Certainly changes the sound a bit and response quite a bit depending on the severity of the change
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspeyr1 wrote:

If you have been playing there is a bit of moisture on the end of your mouthpiece. Hold the mpc upside down, place the shim on the mouthpiece, then insert into the horn at approximately a 45 degree angle. This has worked with the smallest and largest shims

Thanks for the tip. I have been using the method Jason told me of using the venturi tool to drop it in which is a pain because it gets out of line. The mouthpiece method you mentioned is awesome.
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update... Its definitely a better method but... still a pain in the a.. to put the shim back in.
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your shims come out too easily, they may not be the correct outside diameter. We offer free exchanges to compensate for outside diameter issues as there are many receiver and leadpipe variations. Just call us at 651.330.7774.

By the way, you could upgrade to an AGR System to solve your gap and venturi issues permanently. http://whyharrelson.weebly.com/agr-adjustable-gap-receivers.html
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonHarrelson wrote:
If your shims come out too easily, they may not be the correct outside diameter. We offer free exchanges to compensate for outside diameter issues as there are many receiver and leadpipe variations. Just call us at 651.330.7774.

By the way, you could upgrade to an AGR System to solve your gap and venturi issues permanently. http://whyharrelson.weebly.com/agr-adjustable-gap-receivers.html

Thanks Jason,
I'll give you a ring on Monday. I did drop a couple of emails to you about this a few weeks ago, but I never heard back from you on this particular topic.

I am waiting to hear back from you once the 5MM mouthpieces are rolled out... looking at possibly just getting the shank piece to be similar to a schilke where it goes in further to reduce the gap to where I would not have to use the shims or only have to use one of the thinner to thinnest piece of shims.

The AGR looks good, but it maybe too heavy duty for my current trumpets. Have you looked at the AGR designed by Yamaha on their rotary trumpets?
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now on the other spectrum of shims falling out...On a conventional trumpet that I want to sell, I am trying to remove the gap shim, but in this case, it appears to be stuck inside.

Any suggestions on how to safely remove it... It is in there and not budging.
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cshuetva wrote:
Now on the other spectrum of shims falling out...On a conventional trumpet that I want to sell, I am trying to remove the gap shim, but in this case, it appears to be stuck inside.

Any suggestions on how to safely remove it... It is in there and not budging.

I finally was able to get the shim out of the receiver. I had to use the Venturi Tool's lip section and aggressively pull on the shim on different sections until if finally came out five minutes later. The shim had brass corrosion on it which was making it stuck inside the receiver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: