• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

how to find mouthpiece suitable to you

View previous topic :: View next topic  
broazny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: how to find mouthpiece suitable to you Reply with quote

Hey trumpetherald, my first post.
I am have a really hard time picking a mouthpiece to play on, i currently play on a crappy 7c.
Hello, I am a sophomore in high school and is about time i get a new mouthpiece. When i had lessons my teach let me try some mouthpieces out and i really liked the 3c and 1 1/2c. Problem with me was that i have pretty big lips so the 7c did not let me adjust my lips tension since it did not let me. I naturally am always tight and sharp when it comes to playing and i use alot of air. so I decided to go to my local music store and asked about playing some mouthpieces and well.... i could not because of sanitation issues. They also told me only pros use 1 1/2c. so I do not know what to do right know. my old teach recommend warburton, but they have too many choices. Cant get in contact with teach. So can you expert and a student out?? If do go with warburtons what backbore do i get if I am tight and sharp. I do both marching band and concert band, does mouthpiece matter then?? Finding a mouthpiece is too stressful. Can't try it out at my local music store. The 7c is hurting my low reg since i cant get air in the horn, my high reg is only C above the staff since i cant use the muscle groups. What do you experts think send money on bach or get a mouthpiece you can use for along time.
regards
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergei Nakariakov sounds okay on a 7c

Is your teacher guiding a change?

Play what is comfortable. Sounds like you need to spend some serious time on fundamentals before changing gear.

If you must change, Warb 6mc is about a 7C. So try a 5 or 4M or MC with a 5-7 backbore. Middle of the road.

I like the Bach 6c. I recommend you try this too.

Make sure to speak to your teacher. From your post it seems like you have very important fundamentals to address. My guess is over blowing, too much pressure, very spread. The cure isn't gear, it is intelligent guided practice.

Good luck!!

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
broazny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, actually moved away from the area, but i do agree I am so tight that my sound is pitched and sharp rather then broad and full. I think I might as well just take lessons again to get some help.
bach_again wrote:
Sergei Nakariakov sounds okay on a 7c

Is your teacher guiding a change?

Play what is comfortable. Sounds like you need to spend some serious time on fundamentals before changing gear.

If you must change, Warb 6mc is about a 7C. So try a 5 or 4M or MC with a 5-7 backbore. Middle of the road.

I like the Bach 6c. I recommend you try this too.

Make sure to speak to your teacher. From your post it seems like you have very important fundamentals to address. My guess is over blowing, too much pressure, very spread. The cure isn't gear, it is intelligent guided practice.

Good luck!!
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how to find mouthpiece suitable to you Reply with quote

broazny wrote:
I naturally am always tight and sharp when it comes to playing and i use alot of air.

This seems to be a problem right here. Why blow so hard? If you play relaxed with less air you'll do fine.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broazny wrote:
no, actually moved away from the area, but i do agree I am so tight that my sound is pitched and sharp rather then broad and full. I think I might as well just take lessons again to get some help.

You have got it right here!

But - not 'may as well' 'get some help'. It is more like 'it's critical you' 'get some help'.

That way, you'll be guided into a change for the better!

And don't believe what they tell you in music stores. ALL my kids use a 1.5C, including the 9 year olds...

cheers

Andy
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how to find mouthpiece suitable to you Reply with quote

If a larger mouthpiece feels better to you, then get a bigger piece. this is your first mouthpiece adjustment; don't overthink it. Get on the marketplace, find a cheap 3C (~$20), pull the trigger, and try it out.
You have no business dropping $100+ on an expensive mouthpiece at this point, unless you've played it already and it made a huge difference.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
MFaddicted
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am somewhat against larger mp's, but that said, if the player LOVES a big bathtub of a mp, AND sounds GOOD, i say go for it!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get some help... find a trumpet teacher, look for someone at a college, referred by that teacher, good music stores (not the guitar shop ...) ask some local musicians.. if, without watching or listening to you play that teacher immediately suggests one mouthpiece over another, look for another teacher.

You need to work on some fundamentals before getting on the mouthpiece roller coaster! There is nothing wrong with a 7C (it's not a "small" mouthpiece), generally I hesitate moving players to larger mouthpieces until they have developed consistency. BUT, a good teacher should be able to check your equipment to be sure it's in good order-that you're not fighting against something less than acceptable; and then will get you into gear that will allow you to grow.

Remember, "it's the Indian, not the arrow".. you HAVE to practice... have some guidance to minimize bad habits and maximize your potential.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I agree that you should get a good teacher. If you are concerned with matching to your particular chops, here is wisdom from Phyllis Stork.
http://www.storkcustom.com/html/dr.%20mpc%20lips2%20Q7.htm
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players with big lips often get along better with bigger mouthpieces just because it helps them get more lip inside the piece. There are some exceptional players with large lips who play smaller mpcs, but that can be a difficult path to follow for most players.

I wouldn't go any bigger than you have to, though, because the bigger pieces usually have proportionally bigger cups, which affects other aspects of playability. Out of the frying pan, into the fire if you're not careful.

One can easily get lost on a long, expensive mpc safari. I think you'd save yourself a lot of time if you got help from a mpc expert who could see you play, assess your current level of development etc. So I second the advice to get help from a teacher.

I also second Ed's suggestion to read the Phyllis Stork article. I found that very helpful background before I spoke with Phyllis over the phone. (I think Phyllis is wonderful. She's helped me a lot.)
Piccolo Stomvi
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being a Sophomore...

It was the time when my world began to change from the closed and restricted environment of a child into an openness where opportunity exceeded my knowledge and experience. But I didn't realize that my thoughts were still small and restricted.

I thought my way of playing trumpet was correct. It never occurred to me that their could be other ways of doing it. I kept going my way until in college it hurt so bad that I quit.

MUCH later, I started again, but I had learned a few things about life. One, is that I don't really know very much. Two, is that other people have learned other things that can benefit me. Three, is that I have learned things that can benefit others.

If I may, I would add one thing to what those above have said that I believe will help your trumpet playing. There is a cultural habit that has formed in the young generation because of texting and Auto-correct. The ability to choose and use words effectively is not thought of as an important skill, but it is. If we are not careful with our words, we assume that our ideas are understood, but they won't be. It is true with our music as well. If we think how we say what we say is unimportant, what we play will be thought of in the same way - unimportant, sloppy, without consideration.

It is our thinking which must first improve. We must begin to learn. You are taking those first steps here and I applaud you!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
fox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, dump the 7C. The ones that come with a lot of horns today are not even close to what Bach intended. They have a sharp rounded edge and a pretty deep cup. Bad combo for many players. I think if young players started on a Curry 7C they would be better off. If you like the 3C and 1 1/2, go for it. Plenty of cheap used ones, but if that grosses you out, buy a new one. They really aren't that expensive. You can always buy one on trial from Mouthpiece Express or WWBW. Whatever you do, avoid a safari as stated earlier.

A good friend of mine switched at a young age to a 3C and still plays it 40 years later. He is a fabulous player.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say forget about mouthpiece entirely, get a teacher, and go with that. He should be able to help "fit" you to a mouthpiece, and you may find your current rim size is just fine.

Then, maybe get a better 7C. And Curry is a great option.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a 3C or a 1-1/2C would be better for you. But I am sure that correct practice and development will solve the problems you mentioned. If you really want to get off that 7C (which might not be a bad idea), I recommend the 3C if you want to do a wide variety of styles (concert band, jazz band and/or marching band), and a 1-1/2C if your main interest is concert band and/or orchestra.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
I say forget about mouthpiece entirely, get a teacher, and go with that. He should be able to help "fit" you to a mouthpiece, and you may find your current rim size is just fine.

Then, maybe get a better 7C. And Curry is a great option.

+1

Brad
Avan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Perhaps a 3C or a 1-1/2C would be better for you. But I am sure that correct practice and development will solve the problems you mentioned. If you really want to get off that 7C (which might not be a bad idea), I recommend the 3C if you want to do a wide variety of styles (concert band, jazz band and/or marching band), and a 1-1/2C if your main interest is concert band and/or orchestra.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

John, as I have watched your posts over the years it has become clear you know what you talking about, so I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the Schilke 14B mouthpiece...........

PS. I'm not looking to change from the 14B ............. Just curious ...........

" Man Without an Audience "
Album Release - 2017
" Mi Vida es Una Cancion "
Album release - 2022

USAF 1974-1980 E-4
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: how to find mouthpiece suitable to you Reply with quote

broazny wrote:
Hey trumpetherald, my first post.
I am have a really hard time picking a mouthpiece to play on, i currently play on a crappy 7c.

Out of curiosity, what makes the 7C crappy? Is it a no-name brand, or do you just not like it?

broazny wrote:

Problem with me was that i have pretty big lips so the 7c did not let me adjust my lips tension since it did not let me. I naturally am always tight and sharp when it comes to playing and i use alot of air.

It is possible that you might actually not be able to comfortably play a 7C, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you can't move the amount of air you need, or have enough space for your lips with one. We're talking about small fractions of an inch in difference, and if you take a look at a few pictures of Clifford Brown, you'll see that he had no small lips, and did amazingly well on a Bach 17C. (Equivalent to a 10 3/4C today.)

Don't hesitate to try something different, but also don't attribute your problems to a mouthpiece. Nineteen times out of twenty, changing mouthpieces, you'll give one thing up to get another, and you probably need both.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As clearly mentioned above, the biggest problem I have experienced with mouthpieces over a period of 50+ years playing trumpet is the problem of compromise.

You get one thing at the expense of another....and everything is necessary, at least to some degree.

I play a 7C now, but not until recently. Over all the years before, I played all the various Bach #1 models, a Bach 3C, and some Schilke and Stork models.

All the mouthpiece I have ever played have had both good and bad points for me. The rim wasn't right, the size wasn't right, the tone wasn't right, and on and on.

I finally think I have found in the Bach 7C - taking all my needs and particular circumstances into consideration - the best overall compromise of all the requirements of a general purpose mouthpiece.

I have come to fully realize the significance of Vincent Bach's comment when he said that the choice of mouthpiece presents an immeasurably greater problem than the choice of instrument.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: