• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need embouchure/general advice, ASAP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyletgoup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Need embouchure/general advice, ASAP. Reply with quote

Background info:
- Second-Year Music Ed (trumpet) major
- Just finished marching band camp and our first football game (a lot of playing!)
- Decided to play MELLOPHONE (trumpet mouthpiece) in marching band instead of trumpet in order to not injure my chops

Problem:
- Did not have the time or the energy to play much more than 30 minutes of trumpet collectively all week of band camp
- Anything above middle C feels forced (I think I am altering my airstream?). I can still "hit" my typical upper range of F or G above the staff, though not serviceable.
- Air support seems to be out of whack (while playing my sound suddenly cuts out, with nothing but air coming through the instrument)
- Auditions for Symphonic Band and Jazz Band are this week, likely this Friday, September 5th

NOTE: I haven't played/practiced trumpet since Saturday's game, besides this evening's (Sunday) short 20-30 minute session of frustration. I have done some light playing, lip buzzing, mouthpiece buzzing, and a bit of leadpipe buzzing with very little success, other than improved tone.

I can find plenty of forums about transitioning from trumpet to mellophone but quite predictably none about the opposite. If I didn't provide enough information, please feel free to ask me any specific questions. Any advice on how to regain playing form before this Friday (Sep. 5) is greatly appreciated.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Did not have the time or the energy to play much more than 30 minutes of trumpet collectively all week of band camp

What did you expect?
kyletgoup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is meant to be constructive advice than I clearly don't know what is.

NOTE:
My sneaking suspicion is that my aperture is much larger due to the effort to produce a loud, full tone on a lower pitched instrument.
Brass_Of_All_Trades
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to double on trombone and something that helped me a little in switching back and forth (although, admittedly, I never mastered the art of doubling and ended up quitting trombone) is warming up twice: once muted and a second time open.

The trombone (and mellophone as well) is so much more open than a trumpet that it can make you start over blowing and make the instrument feel too tight. After playing muted things should feel less forced because it helps you adjust to playing a more resistant instrument.
kyletgoup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't though of the resistance all that much. I'll mess around with mutes. Thanks for the tip!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll translate. You are having problems because you haven't practiced any negligible amount in over a week.
kyletgoup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you're saying Bill and I did put myself in this situation. I guess what I was looking for was specific advice on how to readjust to the trumpet after playing mellophone, rather than be reminded that practice makes perfect.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get to the practice room now. Immediately! Get back on your trumpet routine and just let it suck for a few days. It will come back if you are diligent.

Then have a talk with yourself and vow never to do this again. Play trumpet in the marching band. Mello is for those who are interested but not quite committed.
kyletgoup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Bill. I suspect it will indeed suck for a few days at least. Hopefully not on Friday.
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trumpet teacher taught me an exercise he called timing drills. It seems to help put my chops back in the right place; I use it after heavy playing and it seems to breathe new life into my chops. It's also fantastic for getting my low register in shape. Maybe it'll work for you. PM me your email address and I'll send you the sheet music/instructions.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make time!

Your primary instrument is trumpet. Start your day with that, get up early if you have to.. warm-up on the trumpet, do some practicing (a short routine, etudes, soft-relaxed playing, technical studies, etc). Then at the end of the day, when MB is done, go back to the trumpet and do some more work. Build that muscle memory.

Doubling is a matter of being comfortable on both, maintaining that muscle memory on each.

You wrote that you're using a trumpet mouthpiece on mellophone, so, the feel shouldn't be all that different-I bet the sound is pretty awful.
I suspect you're overblowing in MB, opening up your chops, in essence changing the shape of your setup. Back off, play easier' even though it's MB and your outside - play musically, don't blast!

Warm down

I might also trying to use a mellophone mouthpiece on the mellophone - first of all it would be better on that instrument and it would give you the feel of a different instrument - a physical sense that might assist you in switching back and forth... might be worth a try.

I know many excellent players that switch between trumpet and other brass instruments with great success.

good luck
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:

What did you expect?

What a helpful response.

Brad
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it would be helpful to sugar coat a response so as to not hurt his widdo feewings? I think the OP is a college man now.

I mean really, the answer is in the question.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, it can be hard to hear, "You broke it, you fix it." It would be nice to get some kind of specific prescription.

The thing is, ultimately, what happened here is that you did something weird. I could tell you what I would do to fix it if for some reason I had been forced at gunpoint to play mellophone for a week. But unless what you do day-to-day is pretty much exactly what I do, I'm just giving you a bunch more weird to mix in with the weird you are trying to get rid of and hoping for not-weird.

I suppose, in theory, it seems reasonable to assume that there is, somewhere in the universe, some weird that is completely opposite to your current weird and if placed in close proximity they would cancel out leaving nothing but a memory. But in reality, the odds of a bunch of strangers on the Interwebs finding that particular weird are vanishingly small.

So I have to agree with Bill -- go do you what you do. Forget about how it feels and how it sounds. Just do what you do, the way you do it. The only suggestion I'd make is that if x is working and y is not, forget about y for the moment. Just do a lot of x until it's really happening, and then gradually sneak x over towards y. Be patient, and keep your focus on what you want rather than what you are getting, rest a lot and it will sort itself out.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice low notes (low F# and low G) soft and long as possible for 15 - 20 minutes. Put the horn down for another 15 - 20 minutes before playing again. You should see some instant improvement in your general playing (tone, articulation, etc.) for however long it lasts.

After a practice session or gig, playing these low soft notes for 4 - 5 minutes is also a good warm down before putting the horn in the case.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if for some reason I had been forced at gunpoint to play mellophone for a week

How about a reality show? It could save classical music . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:

What did you expect?
Yep- If you're truly a trumpet major something's going to have to change pronto, or you're wasting both your time and money. I'm sure there lots of trumpet majors waiting tables or working at Target these days- hey- at least it isn't Walmart.

And- have you asked your trumpet prof for advice concerning your problems? Your paying him/her, use them!
juliasgra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: need embouchure Reply with quote

You might want to try using the James Stamp book, if you can quickly get your hands on one. Focus on the buzz and mouthpiece exercises in the beginning of the book. Stress use of air and no pressure on your lips. After exploring many "solutions" to setting problems due to front teeth issues, the Stamp drills have been a godsend for me. Good luck.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Quote:
if for some reason I had been forced at gunpoint to play mellophone for a week

How about a reality show? It could save classical music . . .

Perhaps, but what would you call a reality show about mellophones?

After all, "The Biggest Loser" is already taken...
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- Air support seems to be out of whack (while playing my sound suddenly cuts out, with nothing but air coming through the instrument)

That is not an air support problem, It's an embouchure problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: