• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Al Hirt- Bar fight? Car accident? What really happened???

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFaddicted
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Al Hirt- Bar fight? Car accident? What really happened??? Reply with quote

I saw Al Hirt perform at Twitty City....a long long time ago....his tone sucked, but he still had great technique.

I know he suffered an accident to the chops, but I can't get anyone that can tell me, factually, what really happened to Al.
I have heard bar fights, car accidents, and even a freak piece of rock on the street accidentally being flipped up by a car's tire...hitting Al in the mouth while he was in a parade.

Anyone know....the real truth on this one?
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone (who was probably drunk) tossed a piece of cement at Hirt when he was being carried on a platform as the King of the Marti Gras. I never heard if it was an accident or on purpose.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Al at the Oakdale Theater in Wallingford Ct. about 2 years after the accident. He mentioned the incident and it was as Trpt. Hick mentioned. He may have said it was a brick, this was over 40 years ago and my memory is not as good as it used to be.
He sounded fine that night.
Al was not in great health the latter part of his life and it showed in his playing.
He was the first famous trumpeter I heard live. I even got to shake his hand. I was about 15-16 years old and his hands were enormous.
He was also very friendly with all the fans.
Truly a great player.
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember how I first knew about Al Hirt, but as a boy of 10 or 12 I spent a lot of my hard-earned money (from doing chores for my parents) to buy 2 of his LPs, then played them by the hour. I'd just started playing in the school band, and I fantasized that I would play like him some day. Hasn't happened, at least not yet.

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, it was a brick thrown at him during Marti Gras . . . ruining the chops of a truly great trumpet player who once had tons of power, a big fat tone . . . and he could tongue like a snake.

He was called "The King," back in the day, and was a featured soloist several times for the Super Bowl.

I heard him in his twilight years. His sterling tone was gone, as was his fearless stamina . . . but he was still quite a "decent" trumpeter. But in his day, he made us kids all dream of one day sounding like him. He's one of the reasons this former 5th grader took up the horn in 1961.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick search of the web, and found this new story from the 1970 Mardi Gras time . . .

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2199&dat=19700210&id=LSxUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=NToNAAAAIBAJ&pg=5544,4880886
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
Indeed, it was a brick thrown at him during Marti Gras . . . ruining the chops of a truly great trumpet player who once had tons of power, a big fat tone . . . and he could tongue like a snake.

He was called "The King," back in the day, and was a featured soloist several times for the Super Bowl.

I heard him in his twilight years. His sterling tone was gone, as was his fearless stamina . . . but he was still quite a "decent" trumpeter. But in his day, he made us kids all dream of one day sounding like him. He's one of the reasons this former 5th grader took up the horn in 1961.

+1! My story is quite similar. And I will affirm Tom's account of Al Hirt's misfortune... I am one of those who remember when it happened.
Jim
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I recall that someone had indeed thrown a brick at Al while he was riding on a float and it did hit him in the mouth. A Hollywood script writer couldn't make this up, but it happened. I grew up with Al Hirt as my hero. I too purchased his LPs and listened for hours. As a high school senior I heard him play a concert and I have never experienced anything like that. I was toward the back in the cheap seats, yet he filled up that concert hall with music that only he was capable of doing. Later on, and early in my career I was in the French Quarter one evening just wandering around and looked up and there was the Al Hirt Club. I stopped and stared and contemplated going in. I decided that I would catch him later, but later never came. What a mistake.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to know Al pretty well in the winter of 1980. He played 6 nights a week at the old Diplomat Hotel in Hollywood Fl for an entire month. I went pretty much every night, Paul Cacia would leave my name at the door.

This is when he was touring with a big band. He liked his drinking and his occasional bump now and then. His playing...well most nights he would just go through the motions.

But one night.....I brought about 7 or 8 trumpet players to see him, it was a weeknight so it wasn't all that crowded. We all sat right down front. Jumbo had already gotten to know me by then (the band had gone out for ribs once and let me tag along. I was only 17)

Let me tell you when he saw all us trumpet players there he played like a man possessed. No "Baby Elephant Walk" or "Java" he played Roy Eldridge's chart on "After You've Gone" and Maynard's "Rocky" and just nailed to it to the wall. He played "Holiday for Trumpet" like it was 1962 all over again.
That one night was the best I ever heard him play. I will never forget it.

He did make a comment every night in the show about the "incident". He said "I was on a float in a parade and some MUSIC LOVER hit me in the mouth with a brick". He said the first call he got was from Louie Armstrong. Louie sent him some of his personal "salve" that he had made in Germany. Al said after he put that salve on he couldn't feel his lips for a week.

Rumor has always had it that Louies "salve" had pharmaceutical cocaine in it. Remember it was made special for Louie in Germany starting in the late 1930's. Als not the only one to talk about the numbing effects of that salve. Don Goldie and Roy Eldridge told me the same thing......

Chris LaBarbera
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the sixties and good health, his size and hand strength would probably have deterred bar fights.

For some players when you hear them at their best, life is no longer the place you knew
( preceding it ).
Hard to articulate, but you know it when you hear it -
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvQ4acZw1a8
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:

So who played lead, Goz or Uan?
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
In the sixties and good health, his size and hand strength would probably have deterred bar fights.

For some players when you hear them at their best, life is no longer the place you knew
( preceding it ).

Let's not forget this bar fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBU_mwm8WfU
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:

So who played lead, Goz or Uan?

Gozzo's name was spoken of with RCA, but someone else may confirm.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:

( preceding it ).

Incredible sound!!!

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comeback wrote:
tom turner wrote:

+1! My story is quite similar. And I will affirm Tom's account of Al Hirt's misfortune... I am one of those who remember when it happened.
Jim

Yes. I distinctly remember hearing the news report that Al had been hit in the mouth with a rock thrown by a drunk in the audience.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
Someone (who was probably drunk) tossed a piece of cement at Hirt when he was being carried on a platform as the King of the Marti Gras. I never heard if it was an accident or on purpose.
This. Mardi Gras, Hick- I'd bet my life's savings on the drunk…which would be "on purpose" due to the conditions at the time. Probably a damn guitar player or male soprano...
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Al Hirt- Bar fight? Car accident? What really happened?? Reply with quote

MFaddicted wrote:
I know he suffered an accident to the chops, but I can't get anyone that can tell me, factually, what really happened to Al.

I was in a music shop in S. Florida many moons ago when this topic came up while a rep for one of the manufacturers was there. He asserted that he knew Al, had delivered horns to him. He claimed to know from reliable sources that the whole hit with a brick thing was baloney, that Al had been imbibing a bit and walked into a lamp post while playing and messed up his chops.

A couple of things have never seemed right to me about the hit in the lip with a brick story. First, I've never found any corroboration of it. Al was among the most famous musicians in the world at the time and was a local hero in New Orleans. Have you ever seen any witness account of the event? The only assertion I've ever seen that it happened was from Al himself. Further, the physics don't seem right. If someone were to actually lob a brick, a large chunk of brick, concrete, etc. from any distance and actually manage to hit someone square on the lip it seems it would do a lot more damage than simply split your lip - i.e. broken teeth, bone, etc.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P
That is very interesting.
I just checked Wikipedia, And they agree with your statement
that there are serious doubts whether anybody threw a
brick at his face. They further state that there has been no
independent confirmation of the brick incident.
They state that there has never been anyone else to confirm Al Hirt's version
of the story.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some may find this account of the event authoritative, others may not (scroll down to read article): http://www.neworleanspast.com/todayinneworleanshistory/november_7.html
Jim
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comeback wrote:
Some may find this account of the event authoritative, others may not (scroll down to read article): http://www.neworleanspast.com/todayinneworleanshistory/november_7.html
Jim

Like any other reference I've seen it's missing any corroborating parties or citation of sources.

Try to find *any* story citing a witness by name who says they actually saw it happen.

Check out that photo of a skinny young Al in that King ad!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: