• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New here with a couple questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudentOfTrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: New here with a couple questions Reply with quote

So for my 17th birthday a couple weeks ago I received a handful of new method books and am trying to put together a solid routine for practicing some CG material. I received CG's Deep Breathing, DTR, and SA along with Iron's, Clarkes Technical studies, and St. Jacome Grand Method. I think I have a handle on what to practice and am working on improving the when. I've been trying to stick the range work in SA at the end of my day but my schedule changes day to day and it hasn't settled in yet.

Anyway, I've had a double buzz that has come and gone for far too long now (I think it is approaching a year) and am looking to finally kick it. I can't pin it down and say that it only happens on certain pitches or above or below certain notes. I also can't say that it only happens when I'm tired. It just kind of pops up when it wants to. Sometimes resetting the horn on the face or playing a few quick pedal tones will provide a temporary fix but usually I have to walk away from the horn for a while and come back later. I try not to worry too much (with limited success).

I would be glad to here any advice you guys have for this annoying problem.

I'm thinking about ordering a CG Personal mouthpiece with hopes that it might help. I'm currently playing on a "Kanstul Anaheim Ca 3c" that came with my trumpet and am also wondering if it is the same design as a CG3? I think I've read that it is but I'm not sure.

Thank You!
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the best thing you could do would be to take some lessons from one of the CG accredited teachers on here, I made the mistake of buying all the books and doing my own lesson plan, which I realised after I started lessons with Jeff Purtle was far too advanced for my ability at that time and probably hindered any progress rather than helping as I was "tearing Down " not building up.

The teacher would also help with the buzz issue which might even solve itself once you have a well balanced practice routine which the teacher will give you.

Hope this is of some help

Regards
Eric
StudentOfTrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of me knew that suggestion was coming...

Hearing someone else say it may be enough of a push for me to actually do it though. Thanks for your thoughts!
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides Jeff Purtle, there are John Mohan and Bruce Haag on TH who are CG certified. They are on the list of on line teachers in the Fundamentals forum. I don't know if any of the others on that list are CG teachers.

Good luck. I've now had 6 lessons with Bruce Haag, and am very happy with my progress.

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, your Kanstul 3C is very similar to a CG3. Different blank and I believe the rim is different as well. Cup, throat and backbore I believe are the same. I recommend staying with it and digging into the material.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as one who has changed mouthpieces a lot, DON'T CHANGE MOUTHPIECES!. Just practice.

A double-buzz can come from too much lower lip in the cup which allows the lower lip to vibrate. That isn't what you want. Pull in the lower lip or extend your jaw slight to support it.
StudentOfTrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anybody cares to hear an update...

I've been in contact with Bruce Haag recently and am going to find time to start webcam lessons with him soon if possible. I'm ordering a gold CG Personal mouthpiece from him too.

One thing that may be contributing to my on/off double buzz is that I unfortunately have a rather low mouthpiece placement. It is often in the red of my upper lip if I'm not careful. I'm sure I will be working on this with Bruce if/when I start lessons.

If anyone wants to offer advice towards webcam/microphone for skype lessons or anything else I'd be glad to hear some opinions.

Thanks guys!
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great move and I am sure you will have a great time with the lessons.

There is a topic thread on Skype lessons in the fundamentals section would be worth you having a look at for info on equipment etc

Keep updating after your lessons start, I find it interesting following peoples progress
Regards
Eric
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudentOfTrumpet wrote:
In case anybody cares to hear an update...

I've been in contact with Bruce Haag recently....
You won't be disappointed!

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents is just start with lesson one in Systematic Approach and move forward. I did that for 52 years before ever taking any private lesson. I then took my first one with Bruce Haag here in Cincinnati and he confirmed that I was doing everything correctly.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
My two cents is just start with lesson one in Systematic Approach and move forward. I did that for 52 years before ever taking any private lesson. I then took my first one with Bruce Haag here in Cincinnati and he confirmed that I was doing everything correctly.

52 years?
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
RussellDDixon wrote:

52 years?

Yes John ... I grew up in southeastern Georgia where there was no teacher other than my three Band Director's who all were terrible players. When I got to college, I was the only non-music major playing Lead (First Chair) etc. The Trumpet Professor there was a "you must play a Bach 1C mouthpiece" disciple and I refused to take any lessons from him. The internet had no been invented yet. So, I continued working on my own and then took my first lesson from Bruce Haag a few months ago. I just intuitively figured things out on my own and paid close attention to what the method books actually said.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
RussellDDixon wrote:

52 years?

Yes John ... I grew up in southeastern Georgia where there was no teacher other than my three Band Director's who all were terrible players. When I got to college, I was the only non-music major playing Lead (First Chair) etc. The Trumpet Professor there was a "you must play a Bach 1C mouthpiece" disciple and I refused to take any lessons from him. The internet had no been invented yet. So, I continued working on my own and then took my first lesson from Bruce Haag a few months ago. I just intuitively figured things out on my own and paid close attention to what the method books actually said.

Hi Russell,

Are you saying you used the Systematic Approach book for 52 years, or that you were self-taught for the first 52 years of your playing experience?

Best wishes,

John
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudentOfTrumpet wrote:
It is often in the red of my upper lip if I'm not careful.

This is a red flag right here. If your mpc is not always in the same place, you will develop multiple embochures which can lead to a multitude of problems.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
StudentOfTrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt I have multiple embochures when I'm not thinking about it. However recently I can't help but take occasional notice of where my mouthpiece is and I think that over-thinking it is probably messing with it as much as anything.

I think it is likely that I made it sound like playing in the red isn't an every time thing because I didn't want to admit that I really need to improve mouthpiece placement. I'm fairly certain that my mouthpiece is in that low position every time I play as of now.

I will buy a webcam and start lessons and I'm sure I will see improvement!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: