• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry 3C. Mouthpiece: not too big, not too small, just right

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue Trane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 3DC. comes std with a 26 throat. My 3DC. cornet mpce did iirc.
fox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back I decided not to spend anything more on mouthpieces for a while and I have held to that for quite some time. Now all this talk about the 3c. makes me curious. I looked to see if I had anything that may be similar besides the Bach 3c. I have always thought the Yamaha 14b4 was a nice alternative. It would be interesting to see a scan to compare with the 3c.. Anyone tried both?
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
Mark Curry wrote:
Blue Trane wrote:
Mark Curry wrote:

Blue Trane-

The 3B. is about 23 thou deeper than my C cup with a slightly larger (26) throat. It may be what you need for C trumpet. Same dot (.) rim, though.

mc

Is the 3B. design similar to a Bach 5C cup in that it retains the C or bowl shape but is deeper than other C cups? Is it deeper than a 5C cup? How does the depth/shape compare to your 3DC. (deep cornet)?

3B. not quite as deep as the 3DC.

While I was experimenting with mpces for C trpt I put the 3DC. into a cornet adapter, I thought the sound was outrageously good and broad so I may want something similar in a trpt blank.

I've done the above more than a few times.
*You may be one of those players that flourishes on the deeper cups*

Is the backbore on your 3BC. (Schmitt) the same or similar to a Bach #7 bb?

3BC. backbore similar to the Bach #7

Thank you.

Mark, your 3DC. comes with a 25 throat?
Thanks!

Dave, yep I checked the old invoice- your 3DC (old rim) came with a 25 throat.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a demanding big band gig with a rehearsal beforehand last night, and I must say, this new Curry 3C· is the bomb!

Everything about last night went well as far as my chops go. My endurance was . . . well, I felt like Superman. It was one of the few times that after the gig I felt like I hadn't even played a gig. I was ready to go on and on.

I don't know what it is about this design (and trust me, I'm a skeptic) but it's a winner in my book.

Thanks, Mark! You are the man!
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the trigger on both a Curry 3C. and a 3DE. I will post my results when I get them.
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I've recently been using Mark Curry's mouthpieces, 3C for Bb trumpet and 3BC on C trumpet. I emailed Mr. Curry two days ago regarding my old Giardinelli 7S that I use for lead. He has unfortunately not responded but maybe some of you can tell me which of Curry's mouthpieces that is equivalent to 7S?

Best wishes! Martin
Bach Stradivarius Artisan Piccolo
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDK-97 wrote:
Hello everyone

I've recently been using Mark Curry's mouthpieces, 3C for Bb trumpet and 3BC on C trumpet. I emailed Mr. Curry two days ago regarding my old Giardinelli 7S that I use for lead. He has unfortunately not responded but maybe some of you can tell me which of Curry's mouthpieces that is equivalent to 7S?

Best wishes! Martin

After studying the Kanstul Comparator (which has the Curry 3C. mouthpeice and the Giardinelli 7S mouthpiece scans) and studying Mark's descriptions and comparison chart, here's what I come up with:

Curry mouthpieces with the exact same rim as your 3C. and 3BC. and most similar to the Giardinelli 7S would be the 3STAR. or the 3Z. models. (I am assuming you have the newer and more common Dot-type pieces).

The Curry mouthpiece that would be most similar to a Giardinelli 7S in terms of cup size, cup diameter and rim shape would be the 60S from his 600 series of commercial-type mouthpieces (but this one's rim is not identical to your present Curry mouthpieces, though similar in size).

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Great, quick response with reliable information!

Thanks Mr. Mohan
Bach Stradivarius Artisan Piccolo
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!

Update:

For a while now I've been vacillating between the Curry 3C., my Reeves 43C, and my copy of Arturo Sandoval's MV3C (which is nearly identical to the Curry 3C.). But right now, I have to admit that for at least the next two weeks I'm not going to even touch that Curry 3C. - because I loaned it to my one and only High School age student yesterday.

He'd been playing on an Olds 7C. And he had all the symptoms of playing on that Olds 7C - a bit of trouble with his lowest notes, a bit of trouble with his highest notes, and an uncomfortable feel from the thin 7C style rim. Finally, near the end of his lesson yesterday, I went to the back room, came back out, took his 7C away from him, put the Curry 3C. in his horn (I did at least rinse it with hot water, then warm water in the sink first) and told him, "For the next two weeks, you play this mouthpiece. If you like it, you'll need to buy one and give me this one back." He already loves it. "It feels great" was his response to my question about it at the end of the lesson.

The thing about these Curry mouthpiece is, they're both inexpensive and consistent. That's a rare thing!!! Heck, for the $60 or so they cost, I might just start keeping a few in stock to lend out to students.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
jf_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
The Curry mouthpiece that would be most similar to a Giardinelli 7S in terms of cup size, cup diameter and rim shape would be the 60S from his 600 series of commercial-type mouthpieces (but this one's rim is not identical to your present Curry mouthpieces, though similar in size).

Best wishes,

John Mohan

I would say that is a great call. I play a Giardinelli 10SF and have played a 60S. Both have a rather bowl-shaped cup. The 5 size also has a rather rounded rim like the Giardinelli 7S that you may like too, similar size with some options in terms of cup depth and backbore.
tradjazzman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been about 2 months now since I've switched to the 3C. I use them for both cornet & trumpet. A great MPC at a great price. Hats off to Mark Curry for making a great affordable mouthpiece. Like Rich Willey said , they are comfortable. Although I don't feel like a super hero (lol), I can now wake up the day after a tough 4 hour gig and still get notes out of my horn!! Thanks Mark!!!!

Ben Mauger
Getzen Custom Cornet w / Curry 3C.
and my new latest toy
1949 Rudy Muck NY with of course / Curry 3C.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
rich.Graiko
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some chop fatigue last week and decided to break out the Curry 3TF for a couple sessions while I recover. It felt great, even better than I remembered, so I started searching around for info on the curry 3c. I came across this thread and others like it, which convinced me to pick up a 3c. (dot) but I can't find one for sale anywhere. Have they changed the sizing structure or something? I play a Bach 3c. and I'm looking for something similar but with the more comfortable rim that everyone keeps talking about, and that I experience with my 3TF. I am not interested in the bigger MV-like piece. Any insight would be appreciated.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich.Graiko wrote:
I had some chop fatigue last week and decided to break out the Curry 3TF for a couple sessions while I recover. It felt great, even better than I remembered, so I started searching around for info on the curry 3c. I came across this thread and others like it, which convinced me to pick up a 3c. (dot) but I can't find one for sale anywhere. Have they changed the sizing structure or something? I play a Bach 3c. and I'm looking for something similar but with the more comfortable rim that everyone keeps talking about, and that I experience with my 3TF. I am not interested in the bigger MV-like piece. Any insight would be appreciated.

His website is currently down while getting a makeover.

Osmun music is probably the best way to obtain them currently anyway, as he is almost impossible to get ahold of directly now since he's so busy.

I should point out I just recently started experimenting with a modified Curry 3C. that was changed to a 24 backbore and 24 throat. I really like it, especially on the C trumpet, although I use a regular 3C. still most of the time on Bb.
yeracmap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Curry 3C. Mouthpiece: not too big, not too small, just r Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Well, I've done it again. I've switched mouthpieces. After playing mostly on my Mt Vernon 3C clone (with a few forays to mouthpieces ranging from a Reeves 42C and up to a Bach 1X), I've moved to what I am finding to be the perfect all-around mouthpiece: my best friend's Curry 3C. (hey, I didn't even have to pay for it).

I found the Mt Vernon 3C clone to play very well, and have a very comfortable rim - but it just felt a bit too big for my face. And probably as a result, my upper register and endurance suffered a bit with it.

The rim on this 3C. (and therefore on all of Curry's very consistently made 3C. mouthpieces, and all the other like-rimmed mouthpieces in Curry's line) is just so comfortable. And not just comfortable in terms of how it feels on my lips, but in how it is sized for my lips. It's big enough that I have no problems with attacks or articulations and plenty of power on the very low notes, but it's small enough that I can play well into the upper register and have plenty of endurance. In particular I think I'm now playing the loudest G's above High C I've ever played.

I particularly like the fact that Mark Curry makes all the different cups sizes within a size range with the exact same rim - makes for easy switching to say, a 3BC. for true Orchestral work, or a 3M. when I want to have a brighter sound.

I've only been on the 3C. for about a week now - but this is the first week in probably two years that I have really, really stayed on only one mouthpiece all the time for my daily practice, no matter what, without straying or even wanting to stray. And I'm playing the best I've played in years. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I think it's not.

Though I got this 3C. and also a 3M. and 3DE. for free from my friend (we trade back and forth), I know I'll have to buy a 3BC. for legit playing, as well as something for Flugel and Pic eventually. But at Curry's low prices, it won't hurt my pocketbook all that much. My compliments to Mark Curry for producing such fine mouthpieces at such a crazy low price!!!

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Have heard nothing but positives about Curry MPCs. If I remember correctly, the angle from the rim to cup ( alpha angle) is fairly low.

I see you played Cats---a friend of mine, Joe Rodriguez, played lead for the show for a few years.
Reeves Underparts
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did Cats during the last year and a half of its 13 year run in Hamburg, Germany. It was one of my favorite Musical experiences of my career. The show was fun, the music was great and the band and cast were all warm-hearted, good people. Almost no "Holly Golly" going on at all!

Cheers,

John

P.S. Concerning the original topic, I've moved back to my Reeves 43C for the majority of my playing. But I still recommend the Curry 3C. to players looking for a great 3C!
rich.Graiko
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go to Mouthpieceexpress, or Osmun, or Dillon, they all only have one option for the Curry "3C", not two options; "3C" and "3C."(with dot). I was just told that all they're making is the more modern 3C. size these days.

I would like to verify with someone who has experience that if I order a Curry "3C" that I won't get a Mt. Vernon size piece, but rather a modern 3C.(dot) size piece, before I put the order in.

Thanks for the help!

-Rich

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/index2.php?cPath=197_213_242_691&sort=1a&page=3
Blue Trane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich.Graiko wrote:
When I go to Mouthpieceexpress, or Osmun, or Dillon, they all only have one option for the Curry "3C", not two options; "3C" and "3C."(with dot). I was just told that all they're making is the more modern 3C. size these days.

I would like to verify with someone who has experience that if I order a Curry "3C" that I won't get a Mt. Vernon size piece, but rather a modern 3C.(dot) size piece, before I put the order in.

Thanks for the help!

-Rich

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/index2.php?cPath=197_213_242_691&sort=1a&page=3

The 3C no dot is available only as a special order from Mark so order the 3C with confidence that it won't be the larger original sized version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: