• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When to double tongue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kombomilk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: When to double tongue? Reply with quote

When transcribing solos with fast and long passages of 16s I don't know why using double tonguing? It is definitely slower than not using the tongue at all. So I'm not sure but the only two situations that require double tonguing are, in my opinion:

1) playing the same note fast;
2) stacatto;

In the rest situations it is possible to avoid double or even triple tonguing. What am I missing?
Brass_Of_All_Trades
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: When to double tongue? Reply with quote

kombomilk wrote:
When transcribing solos with fast and long passages of 16s I don't know why using double tonguing? It is definitely slower than not using the tongue at all. So I'm not sure but the only two situations that require double tonguing are, in my opinion:

2) stacatto;

In the rest situations it is possible to avoid double or even triple tonguing. What am I missing?

Not using the tongue at all? Do you mean slurring? If you slur a passage that is written as being tongued then you are playing it wrong.
kombomilk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is written when you subscribe. I guess it's your choice whether to slur or to use a tongue on every note.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are transcribing jazz solos by noted players, use whatever tonguing you need to copy the sound you're hearing/emulating since you are already attempting to accomplish someone else's work. If you are referring to major trumpet works (you posted in the Fundamentals forum, not Jazz), either would work provided you can articulate at the proper speed with the proper style. Good luck.
kombomilk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Craig!
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your opinion, did Clifford Brown used to double tongue on his solos ?

His very fast passages who are not entirely slured are very hard to emulate, it is even hard (for me) to identify what notes are tongued and what are slured.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: When to double tongue? Reply with quote

kombomilk wrote:
So I'm not sure but the only two situations that require double tonguing are, in my opinion:

2) stacatto;

I think you have it wrong. The decision to single or double tongue should have little to do with either. There are plenty of times when multiple tonguing is useful on moving lines. And multiple tonguing needn't be staccato.

If you make a habit of playing Clarke Technical exercises with a range of articulations you'll start adding to your arsenal of techniques to facilitate the music that you come across.

And I highly recommend that you work on multiple tonguing in a very legato fashion. Nothing hampers multiple tonguing as much as cutting off the notes. By practicing "taaaakaaataaakaaa" with no breaks in the air you'll be much smoother and faster.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: When to double tongue? Reply with quote

kombomilk wrote:

2) stacatto;

I may be totally missing something here, but in my opinion, you switch to double tonguing when the tempo is such that you cannot single tongue. Also in my opinion, you should single tongue when possible.
And how could double tonguing be ".... slower than not using the tongue at all... "?

Brad
brassbow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For myself I change when needed. My single is clipped at speed, so if I need a staccato feel I single. My double I use for fast fluid lines. Sometimes will double tounge in a slow passage to help with subdivision counting. Try different tounging while working a price and see which fits the piece
Continental baritone
Clevland Inst. co. mellophone
G/F valveless trumpet
C/Bb valveless herald's trumpet
Eb Grand Rapids ( york) tuba
gemshorn
YES I PLAY THEM ALL!!!
Branson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! Way off.

Double tonguing is used mainly for passages too fast to single tongue.
If your double tonguing is too slow, you need to practice it more.

Learn to play your double tonguing slower than you need and use it often to improve it.

Many people try to speed up their single tonguing and do not realize that slowing down your double tonguing is much easier to cover the transition.

This post may help you...

http://www.thetrumpetblog.com/how-to-fill-the-gap-between-single-tonguing-and-double-tonguing/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: