• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rotary Picc VS Piston Picc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
babet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Rotary Picc VS Piston Picc Reply with quote

Good day, I am in the dilemma at the moment, where I have 2 piccolos, but really should only keep 1 of them.
The rotary is an amazing scherzer that plays with the most beautiful sound and clarity. The other is a Yamaha that has quick valves, is easy to play and works in the orchestra as well as a solo instrument.

I can only keep 1 so which one should I keep?

Regards,

Babet
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to recommend staying with the Yamaha because "easier to play" is no small thing when it comes to piccolo trumpets. But a more nuanced answer would leverage on how big the gap in ease between the horns and how big the difference in sound. If the Scherzer is THAT much better sounding and not that much harder to play I's certainly favor that. If the Yamaha sounds nearly as good but is MUCH easier to play then I'd favor that.

FWIW I'd love to have either of those horns. I like my Kanstul plenty but I really liked some of the Yamahas I've played. And the Scherzer that I've heard are wonderful.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
houdini1313
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at it like this, which one do you make more money playing with? Is one good enough to cover any playing situation? If not, consider selling both and finding one that does. Just a few observations to get your wheels spinning!
Stomvi Piccolo

Hammond, Patrick, and Reeves Mouthpieces
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most versatile is pretty compelling.

Another thought is that more folks tend to play the piston horns and playing the rotary may make you more unique, which may or may not be useful depending on your playing situations.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
tk1031
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeps what works the best. I had a Scherzer Rotary Picc, but I ended up getting rid of it over my Zirnbauer. The Z horn just worked better, and easier. I wanted to play it more. Now I have Z piccs in G, A, and Bb.

My $.02.
Dan in Sydney
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, why do you need to get rid of one? I don't know your playing level or situation, but as a first trumpet for many many years as well as a soloist and chamber musician. I found it invaluable to have both my beloved Scherzer from 1979 and a good piston picc. I used the Scherzer for solo work and the rare occasion the orchestra played any Bach and of course the Messiah. The sound, blend and smooth flow of the rotary suits this style of playing much more so than a piston, in my opinion. Now on the other hand when you are sitting in front of the D part in Rite of Spring, or Ravel's Bolero or any piccolo part in a Brass ensemble setting, this is where a good piston is the way to go. I have a fantastic Schilke 3 valve that will rise above any orchestra in this situation-not so with the Scherzer--unless you push it too hard. I also have to say, never give priority to the idea of "which will make you more money". Have more pride in your sound and style than that. Choosing instruments is not like choosing appliances for your home. Anyway, if your can afford to keep and play both, then do it---you won't regret it.
Bach Artist and Clinician, Soloist
http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/artist-information/centerstage/artist-roster/daniel-mendelow/
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how I sound on the Scherzer pics but I have one hell of a time holding the horn steady while trilling and playing other Baroque ornaments. I've settled on a P5-4 many years back, toyed with the Scherzer but just wouldn't use it as much, I'm afraid. Awesome instrument, however, at least the one I played on was. (So is the Schilke…)
babet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the great responses. As to your response Dan in Sydney, I completely agree with you as to keeping both horns. For myself, at one point in time, I owned 3 D trumpets, one for Ravel, one for big orchestral works, and one for small chamber events. This was completely useless and I ended up having a case full of trumpets that never or barely got played. With the picc, I play it as most do, Christmas and Easter, and then the odd solo event and wedding gig, and then the odd orchestral piece. I can easily see myself having 2 piccs, one sitting lonely in my case, never getting played. At the moment I own the following horns:

Callet Jazz Bflat trumpet
Bach LB C trumpet
Bach/Larson Eflat/D trumpet
Bach/Larson Bflat Cornet
Kanstul 1525 Flugel
Scherzer Picc
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound is the key in most situations for a piccolo tpt. Others have said you need the right tool for the job - think of this as the lock, and you have your answers.

Personally, worrying about owning 2 picks ins't really an issue. When you have 6, start to worry (the wife will find them...)! (No, this is not a plug for the Jupiter piccolo I have in the market place)

You can't beat a old Scherzer for sound. At least, I haven't found anything yet.

cheers

Andy
babet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: one more point Reply with quote

The scherzer is tough when you get above the F on both A and Bflat sides. The Yamaha also has a C side! 3 Keys
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep the Scherzer. Somebody else said sound is the key and I agree when it comes to the pic.
tomterriff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a brief period of time, I was playing on three piccolos; a Monke rotary, a Schilke P4 (3-valves), and a Blackburn A/G. Each was an incredible horn in it's own way, but I did not perform enough on any of them to master any one them. (I am only a semi-pro.) It was driving me nuts so I sold them all, and bought a Schilke P7-4. It's sound approaches the Monke, it's fluidity and accuracy match the P4 and the Blackburn, and it is more versatile than any of the three. I finally have a piccolo I feel at home on and with only one horn to master, I feel that at last I am growing. I recommend that you find the horn that best makes the music you want to play, and make it your home.
Picc - Benchmark, Schilke P7
Cornet - Getzen 3850 Bb, Getzen 3810 C
Flugel - Selmer Paris 62, Selmer Concept
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own a Yamaha (short model with 3rd rotor) that is an incredible instrument but I find myself playing my Scherzer 90% of the time. Yeah, the trills are tough but the sound just puts it over the top for me.

The Scherzer just blends so well. Played the first 3 parts of the Bach Christmas Oratorio last year and the aria with the bass just felt so comfortable. Rare for me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: