• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Two Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moerecon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Two Questions Reply with quote

1. Does working out on your core actually help you blow faster air, therefore hitting higher notes?

2. How did you find your perfect mouthpiece? I started on a 7c, my tutor suggested a 3c so I got it but after 3 months it didn't work out for me. My band director (Nick Patsis) suggested that I try a 5c then move to a 3c, but I really don't want to spend 30$ on something I won't use. There's no place around me that lets you try out mouthpieces. Help?
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Does working out on your core actually help you blow faster air, therefore hitting higher notes?

I suppose you mean your abdominal muscles.

Abdominal strength CAN enhance your ability to make air pressure.

The ability to play pitches lies within the habits and function of your embouchure, not the pressure of air alone.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I started on a 7c, my tutor suggested a 3c

What was the problem with the 7C?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:

I suppose you mean your abdominal muscles.
The "core" refers to the muscles of the abdominal wall, the paraspinal muscles, the muscles of the pelvic floor. Some would include the muscles of the chest wall as well.

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working the abs, or running can help. It can also "tie" one up if they do not do some breathing exercises to maintain flexibility in the area. You may find that you can hardly take what feels like a deep breath. I run between 3-5 miles per day but link my steps to deep breathing, 2 breaths in, 2 out, continuously.

After 50 years of playing, I'm not certain I've found my "perfect" mouthpiece. I just know what I'm using works for what I need. I don't do much experimenting- for all I know there may be 20 pieces out there that would be better. Then again… I do know that last week I had an opportunity to sit in a section next to a real orchestral pro whose group was doing a residency in the community I summer in. He took one look at my piece # and said "whoa- that's big".
Avan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez suggested SWIMMING UNDER WATER ............

" Man Without an Audience "
Album Release - 2017
" Mi Vida es Una Cancion "
Album release - 2022

USAF 1974-1980 E-4
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support working to stay fit and believe in fitness on a many levels. And the core strength referenced makes sense to me on an intuitive level. Yet, I have seen many players who never saw a gym or a workout of any kind that play very well and demonstrate great range and endurance. Note that Doc can still project power at an advanced age even though muscle mass is in great decline. Bobby Shew still has ridiculous chops despite some health problems. On his website video clips he plays while remaining seated. He certainly has done any running or underwater swimming.

Then again, maybe that's why they are Doc and Bobby Shew!!!!

Certainly, core strength matters. But it seems to be only one element, and at least for some, a minor one.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Being more fit is never a bad idea and it certainly improve your playing.

2. You didn't give any reason for abandoning the 7C. Unless you have a compelling reason to switch I'd encourage you to stick with it.

But don't hesitate to try out other pieces when you get the opportunity. And it doesn't have to be expensive. Borrow from friends, buy used, some stores have a trial policy...
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming your band director suggested the 5C as an intermediate size between the 7C and 3C. Problem is, the 5C actually has more cup volume than the 3C. Most people know even less about mouthpieces than they do trumpet playing.

There is nothing wrong with the 7C. Bud Herseth played on a 7 until he injured his chops then went to a 1.5 because of all the scar tissue. Instantly all orchestral trumpet players rushed out and bought 1.5 C mouthpieces. They should have just bought a nice medium quality bottle of Scotch instead.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Herseth tried all the 1 series, from 1 to 1 1/2. He settled on the straight 1 with various cups made personally by Bach himself.
R. Tomasek
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting to hear what was wrong with the 7C. Maybe the OP has moved on in the last couple of days and doesn't care anymore.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, what is wrong with the 7C? And why switch? It is a slippery slope to start looking for the solution in the mouthpiece. By all means, try some different ones when you have the opportunity; but do it with a specific goal in mind-know why you're experimenting.

3C didn't work, put it in a shoe box-save it for later, and go back to the 7C. I'm not a fan of the 5C-different shaped rim and cup and only marginally larger in size.

Being in better physical shape will help you.. but focusing on a muscle group instead of good breathing technique is probably not going to help your trumpet playing. I can pretty much guarantee you already have enough strength to expel air through a trumpet. If you're struggling with pinching or back pressure increasing your abdominal flex will most likely just aggravate the issue.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avan wrote:
Mendez suggested SWIMMING UNDER WATER ............

Ha, I never knew that! I could swim under water before I could walk, and could swim under water farther than anyone else around when I was really little. (I worked at it a lot) I also had an effortless high D after playing for 2 weeks. Coincidence?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Questions Reply with quote

moerecon wrote:
I started on a 7c, my tutor suggested a 3c so I got it but after 3 months it didn't work out for me. My band director (Nick Patsis) suggested that I try a 5c then move to a 3c, but I really don't want to spend 30$ on something I won't use.

How does the diameter of the 7C feel? Does it seat solidly, not shifting around, and not on top of anything sharp in your dental structure??
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...what specifically is wrong with a 7C?

That question still hasn't been answered.

The 3C and 7C have very, very different rims. Also, the tone qualities are very different. The rim is extremely important. The cup depths are different. I can play either a 7C or a 3C, and often do switch back and forth - I don't have the problems that some people seem to complain about.

There are advantages to both a 7C and a 3C. And, I happen to like the 7C rim that so many people complain about - no problem here at all, in fact, I like the assistance that it provides with clean and crisp articulation - something not as easy to accomplish on a 3C, which for me is more "slippery" in regard to articulation.

What are you trying to accomplish? What problem are you trying to correct, or what advantage do you expect to gain with a 3C?

If I were asked the question - I lean toward the 7C when I want a little more crisp and precise articulation, a little bit more secure and reliable attacks, and the kind of tone produced by a little deeper cup (sharper rim and deeper cup). I lean toward the 3C when I want a little brighter and perhaps a little inherently louder and more powerful sound (slightly bigger cup diameter, a little less sharpness on the rim, and shallower cup depth).

All mouthpieces offer some kind of compromise...each player has to know themselves and know the compromises inherent in all mouthpieces that are dictated by various design parameters in order to choose the mouthpiece that best works and plays for you. There are some generalizations that apply, but in the end, you must use trial and error along with the generalizations to accomplish your purpose with mouthpieces.
moerecon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tutor said that the 3c would give me a more "fill the room" sound than my 7c, and so thats why I made the change. Also, the 3c just didn't work out for me. The 7c feels more comfortable on the lips, but I get a bite from my bottom teeth (the ones parallel to eye teeth) every now and then and it hurts. When switching to a 3c, I feel like I have more room and that pain is gone, but playing is reduced. Should I try a 5c?
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about Bach 3C? You may want to try some others like Curry, Black and others that make comparable pieces like Laskey and Warburton. And guess what? Every manufacture's 3C is different! In fact, many Bach 3C's are different from each other.
I would stay away from the 5C unless you can find one to blow on for a bit.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moerecon wrote:
My tutor said that the 3c would give me a more "fill the room" sound than my 7c, and so thats why I made the change. Also, the 3c just didn't work out for me. The 7c feels more comfortable on the lips, but I get a bite from my bottom teeth (the ones parallel to eye teeth) every now and then and it hurts. When switching to a 3c, I feel like I have more room and that pain is gone, but playing is reduced. Should I try a 5c?

There's nothing about the 3C that I think would help "fill the room" expect that it's bound to be brighter.

If the 7C is comfortable and the 3C isn't then perhaps you favor a piece with a rounder rim and a little bite. The 5C is closer to the 7C in feel than the 3C, at least to me. Of course the 1.5C also has a lite more bite than the 3C and it's about the same ID.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: