• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

SC4, fit for symphony?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, thank you so much for posting that. Very cool.

Listening with headphones, I would say that your "conventional" way of just blowing air is not how I have heard or experienced it done. The low pitch should be closer to an F (Eb concert), and the higher pitch should be closer to a G (F concert). Also, the sound is not very resonant. It appears that you are not delivering the air in a manner that will maximize the resonant vibrations in the pipe.

Your spit buzz sounds very compressed, one dimensional, and also the pitch is off.

I realize that there can be variation in pitch from horn to horn, but the sound is the guide. And it appears you are playing a Bach.

I'm not judging, but merely analyzing for sake of discussion. You are a very good player. And you did post a video!

Again, thank you very much!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, and thank you for the compliments

It's interesting about the pitch. Not having explored the idea of leadpipe buzzing a lot I just tried to find something that I could best play in two octaves. I'll have a go and hitting the pitches you mentioned and let you know if the results are any different.

I agree that it definitely sounds more compressed with the tongue forward.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was definitely worth doing another of these.

Link

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post deleted by Moderators. This is the private Callet forum, dedicated to the pedagogy of Jerome Callet. This is not an open forum for posting about other ways of playing. Open forums are for general musings - please refrain from doing that here.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm intrigued by Kyle's description of the SC8 mouthpiece. I go back and forth between a Stomvi USA Flex 3G and a Curry 1.5C but I've never played a throat smaller than a 27. I always feel like I have to blow a lot of air to get a good sound and I'm working on using less air. Do you think a smaller throat might help with this? How long do you think it should it take to get accustomed to the smaller throat?

Is this the same as the Callet 8, or is that a different design?

BTW, I use a conventional embouchure, not a Callet variation.

Thanks for your input.

Kent
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the PM Kent requested, I should add the following:

An SC6 is similar to a Bach 7 in diameter, but very shallow. An SC8 is similar to a Bach 1 1/2 in diameter. It's cup is shallower than a Bach C for more focus, power, and endurance as well as much improved intonation. But, it's not nearly as shallow as an SC6.

Full info and pics:
http://www.callettrumpets.com/Mouthpieces.htm

Best, Kyle
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetplanet wrote:
It was definitely worth doing another of these.

Link

I remember many moons ago Kyle saying that the guys he heard doing this were "going in the wrong direction." What I hear is that you got the right pitches, but you would get much stronger harmonics present in the sound if you moved much less quantity of air, but with at least as much energy. Of course with MSC, that energy would be mainly in the mouth.

Working with this is certainly crossing methods if you're pursuing MSC, but done 2 minutes per day or less, just a few long tones basically, can help either dial in your airstream, or at least figure out which way to go with things, help start off a day, (espically if it s a rough day with tight chops or whatever) and reveal if you might be way off, centering either high or low. But I agree with Kyle's observation from many years ago, that using this as a means to muscle the horn in the attempt to cram ever more air through the horn, (how most guys seem to play the leadpipe) is counter-productive.

Really the whole idea of the exercise is to approximate the resistance of the horn, while removing the stigma of maybe sounding bad on the first few notes, and hopefully to establish the feel for your best playing very early in the day.
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi razeontherock,
I agree completely. This video was just something that I made as a response to the conversation and is not a thing that I commonly practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: