• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Claude Gordon Advice on MP

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluesy wrote:
After reading this thread about CG and his "Brass Playing is No Harder Than Deep Breathing", all I can say is, evidently NOT!
Sheesh!

Oh no, Claude was right. Brass playing is no harder than deep breathing - once you get past the mouthpiece obsession.

Cheers,

John

P.S. And now after claiming in an earlier post I was sticking with the Reeves 43C, due to an unexpected cut on my lip (clawed by a Giant Alaskan Malamute while play fighting) I decided to give my lips a bit more room today and use my copy of Arturo's MV3C. Went all the way to a decent Double High C in my Systematic Approach exercises. But that wasn't the amazing thing - the amazing thing was, the G through the Bb above High C required practically no effort. And this with a scab on my lip right where the inner edge of the mouthpiece hits (thanks, Samson).

Ouch!

Well, if nothing else this just proves how wonderful life is when you learn to take Claude's admonition to heart, "Forget about your lips - their only purpose is to vibrate!" Claude was right. Or maybe I just need to get roughed up by Samson more often...

Last edited by John Mohan on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is about a m/p experience I recently had and also because the CG forum was so darned quiet in October I felt the need to kick of November!!

I play a CG Benge and I use a Benge Gordon Model mouthpiece that I bought from Bruce Haag some time ago and its a great fit, I love the rim feel, similar to a cornet which I play in a couple of british style brass bands.

I was having a few problems swapping between trumpet and cornet as the piece I played on the cornet had a nice cornet sound but the rim was too sharp for me. Anyway, I bought a CG Personal cornet m/p from my teacher, Jeff Purtle and after a month or so, I find it brilliant, I have no problems swapping between cornet and trumpet, it feels identical and is a free blowing piece with a great sound and I find it plays easier in the upper register. I don't feel the need to get a CG Personal trumpet piece as the Model is apparently almost identical.

Anyone wavering about trying a Personal should just try it, you have nothing to lose
Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: