• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

One more time from the beginning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: One more time from the beginning Reply with quote

After 12 years off I worked really hard for 17 months. I republished a method book I wrote and did some video tutorials. I was not disappointed in my progress and recorded a few religious tunes for the family. Then on July 16 I decided to quit playing. There is much to do here outside and summer was great.

Three days ago I started up again. I have no idea why. My granddaughters love music and enjoy the trumpet playing. The oldest one is a brilliant clarinetist. As a junior in HS she is getting offers for full ride scholarships up to a phd. She is a 4.0 + with wicked SATs and a black belt in karote.

I think she inspired me to start up again. Anyway.......

I'm baaaaack. I will try and stay out of controversial threads this time!!

Gordon Stump-Funk Brothers Horn Section
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything around here is controversial…

Good to see you back, Gordon.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back sir,
Very nice to hear what a fine Clarinetist
your granddaughter is. Congratulations !
My grandson Just started in beginning band in the 6 grade.
He is playing the trumpet, His band director is a buddy of mine
that I worked jobs with for years.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you back, Gordon.
Jim
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice that you're back to it, but I'm curious about your decision to quit- you cite a particular day, and other things to do, but also that you put a lot of work into it up to that point.

There's all kinds of players from all over here, but among comebackers, there's often a common theme- they quit, not consciously one day, when their life changed- graduated, job, married, kids, and started again when they retired, kids left, etc.

Maybe the lesson here is, once you pick it up again, you learn it's also ok to put it back down, take a break- the trumpet will still be there later.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
Nice that you're back to it, but I'm curious about your decision to quit- you cite a particular day, and other things to do, but also that you put a lot of work into it up to that point.

There's all kinds of players from all over here, but among comebackers, there's often a common theme- they quit, not consciously one day, when their life changed- graduated, job, married, kids, and started again when they retired, kids left, etc.

Maybe the lesson here is, once you pick it up again, you learn it's also ok to put it back down, take a break- the trumpet will still be there later.

Great question which is code for I do not have a definitive answer! In 2000 I was elected to the position of President of the Detroit Federation of Musicians, Local 5. At the time I was a first call theater, big band and studio lead player of 30 years.

I did not want young trumpet players who joined the union to have a president with a bunch of good gigs. Musicians talk!! Also, at the age of 54 I needed to work very hard to maintain lead chops and the mental strength to be in the hot seat. So I put it down.

I retired in 2012 and in 2013 decided to try to play again. I do not know why because I am way over playing gigs. I was very lucky to have a career with over 400 gigs per year for many years. That is brutal work for a commercial lead trumpet player but with two kids who went on to college it had to be.

I do not know why I quit again on July 16, 2014. I keep journals of daily practice so the date is just a reflection of the data. There is no life event or other mitigating circumstance to quit and to start again.

Winter is long and cold in Michigan. We do not travel south as yet due to having horses that need attention in the winter. Whenever I think about selling my B5 or excellent Cousenon Flugelhorn I get cranky. I am not ready to totally quit yet. I probably need a musical outlet.

Thanks so much for your interest in my on again off again trumpet adventure. I think you may have nailed it. As long as I can go back it is ok to put it down. Three days in and I am playing up to high E with a pretty good sound. Thank god for Mr. Carmine Caruso.

Gordon Stump
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon,
NEVER, EVER sell your B5 or the Cousenon !
That would be sacrilegious.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind responses.

Gordon Stump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: