• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lessons for my daughter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Lessons for my daughter Reply with quote

Hello all:

I just started giving my 9 year old daughter trumpet lessons. Her school starts next week, but I figured we could get a 'leg up' on the competition, and started last week.

Here's what I've been focusing on:

- we start with a minute or two of flutter buzzing,
- several minutes of buzzing the mouthpiece, with the siren,
- we then start with a middle G on the staff, then slowly descend to F, E, D, and C.
- the last several nights, we've also started with a middle G, then go up to an A and B. This has been pretty difficult for her, but I'm reminding her of patience.
- I've limited our practice time to about 15 minutes. Once December comes around, I'll bump it up to 20 minutes.

We also watch YouTube footage. Last night, she asked me about what the highest note was, so I showed her some footage of Cat Anderson and Maynard Ferguson. She thought that was impressive. Tonight, I showed her some footage of Ingrid Jensen and Allison Balsam. I've also suggested that when Dad is listening to jazz trumpeters when he's doing the dishes, maybe she should listen as well.

I'm starting her on a Stork 5C (which is equivalent to a Bach 7C), and an old Holton 48. It has an easy blow, and has a smaller wrap and valve stroke.

I'm hoping for any suggestions regarding anything I might do differently or additionally.

Thanks much!
MarkZ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This a great documentary: http://thegirlsintheband.com
I bought a copy on DVD after a film festival screening. I'm not sure it's available for purchase online.

Maria Schneider is an inspiring composer. Your daughter might like to hear "Cerulean Skies" which comes from Maria's bird watching hobby. http://youtu.be/eB50V-O7rm8

You could watch some of the "Schoolhouse Rock" segments that feature Jack Sheldon, like "I'm Just a Bill" and "Conjunction Junction", then listen to more of Jack's music.
Kanstul 1525 flugel
Monette Prana B2S3, B2FL, B2LS3
Monette Prana FLG2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: