• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

IIIA - adjusting jaw position

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: IIIA - adjusting jaw position Reply with quote

I'm a IIIA, but with a slightly receded jaw/lower horn angle. I've known for a while (Doug mentioned this to me a couple of years ago) that I should be able to improve certain things about my playing by raising my horn angle and pushing the jaw forward a little more. (I've already raised my horn angle quite a bit in the last few years, but I can tell there's more to go.)

I'm finally getting to the point where it's becoming a priority once again, however, so I plan to focus on it for the next few months.

Do you have any advice on the best way to accomplish this? Things to look out for?

For me:

* Raising the horn angle improves sound and response all over the horn (especially in the middle register, perhaps oddly). It also brightens the sound a little.

* In the upper register, it feels a little more difficult. Placing more pressure on the top lip (to match the pressure on the bottom lip) feels like it's constricting my chops a little: perhaps I push the upper lip down into the mouthpiece a little as I ascend, and having a firmer connection there keeps me from doing this.

* I know that if I overdo it, my jaw hurts a lot. When I first started raising engaging my jaw in the upper register, I had great results but could only practice for about 20 minutes a day or I would start feeling a lot of pain in the TMJ.

I'm well aware of Reinhardt's admonition to "stay with the jaw", and keep the pressure on the lower "legs" constant throughout this. That piece of advice has done a great deal for my playing!

Any other advice you can share, or your own experiences, would be very welcome!
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do it.
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my current approach, Doug!
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any other tips for me?

Things to watch out for? Ways to avoid developing any problems with the TMJ?

My main challenge at the moment is figuring out how it affects the legs/mouthpiece pressure (I've always tried really hard to maintain the lower legs at all times, which improves my playing dramatically, but with a raised horn angle it almost feels like a little less pressure on the bottom helps make the upper register feel easier).

I'm also unsure how to tell if I'm overdoing it in the lower register (where things feel and sound good with a slightly lower horn angle, as I'm currently playing). I do lower the horn a little as I descend, but working on raising the angle of the horn is a little confusing at the moment.

It's going well overall, though.

Are there any particularly good exercises/routines for this? Ways to approach this transition which work better than others?
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can take a long time to adjust to a more protruded jaw, in terms of strength, endurance, and finesse.

The resting position of my jaw is a LOT farther out than it used to be. An I did have some TMJ popping along the way but it's gone now.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll go through a period of more top lip pressure as everything adjusts. So that's not a surprise.

Last edited by Doug Elliott on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
myreligion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do lower the horn a little as I descend, but working on raising the angle of the horn is a little confusing at the moment.

I'm not a Reinhardt expert and would never try to determine someone's type, but I have spent some time with one of Reinhardt's students who initially thought I was a IIIb (for now) and then as our lesson progressed, we determined I was actually a IIIA. Lowering the horn when descending sounds like you're a IIIB... Why do you think you're a IIIA? Just curious.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty normal for a IIIA to lower angle for low range.

There's no question that Paul is a IIIA.
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, as Doug says.

I'm not talking about pivoting/tracking, just the horn angle (and jaw position, since they are one and the same in Reinhardt-land) being slightly lower as I descend, where it sounds and feels best.
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already went through this whole process once, about three years ago, but at the time I definitely overdid it and hurt myself. I coped by only playing about 20 minutes a day until my body adjusted, and found a decent balance there.

I'm more and more sure now, however, that I can raise the horn angle even more than I did back then, so I'm going through it again. But I can't afford to injure myself or cut back on practicing right now, hence this thread.

I'm actually pretty confident that I know enough about my own playing at this point to do this well myself (through trial and error), but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask for some additional advice, caveats, and/or other peoples' stories (especially if it helps me avoid some of that trial and error!).
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not continuously force your angle higher. This is a problem with only getting lessons or advice occasionally and thinking you can monitor yourself. Regular follow-ups are necessary to check your progress and avoid problems that inevitably crop up.

The best progress will come by pushing fairly hard for about a week, then relaxing for the next week or so. Repeat. That way you get a chance for everything to stabilize and evaluate your progress, and you might actually know when you've gone too far before you hurt yourself.
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound advice, Doug. Thanks!

In any case, I don't have the strength to make anything but a very slight adjustment, so I think the risks are low. But the "one week rule" is a good one, I will try something like that.
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc always said that the 1st point of breakdown of an embouchure occurs "under the ears", where these muscles control the lower jaw position. When this "gives in" to playing demands, the next things to go are the "mouth corners". Then the muscles of the lips become tired and development is at a standstill.

The jaw retention drill will help develop the muscles "below the ears" and will eventually make a more forward lower jaw easier to maintain.

John
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update:

I'm totally failing at the "one week rule", because returning to a lower horn angle just doesn't feel good or sound good.

So I'm trying to maintain the new position all the time (at least when I'm conscious of it). I can feel some fatigue in the jaw, but no pain or problems. I'm also not killing myself with hours and hours of playing, either.

So far so good, I suppose.

With some horns it's difficult to do physically, however - I'm a trombonist, and any horn which is front-heavy is just plain hard to hold at the right angle without getting some pain in the wrist/hand.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, wait until it falls apart and then you'll appreciate the lower angle more.
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

Until *what* falls apart?

That sounds scary.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: IIIA - adjusting jaw position Reply with quote

Paul T. wrote:

Any other advice you can share, or your own experiences, would be very welcome!

I doubt I can add anything that helps but while you're waiting on your cliffhanger, this is an experience I share. In one of my first couple of lessons with Dave Sheetz he told me how he had to endure a lot of pain, developing his jaw to be able to support a higher horn angle. (Not done for that reason, but because it was a part of his development, that proved to help)

I took it to heart, and realized Dave was stressing to me this is what I needed to do. I wound up doing the jaw retention drill while driving, and instead of counting the seconds I'd hold my maximum extension as I intended, I'd get distracted by driving and wound up losing count of how many small towns across Wisconsin's north woods I was doing it for! Yet even with that kind of musculature, it was still years before I actually played with a horn angle higher by enough to necessitate the transition to IIIA from IIIB.

For me personally, the switch has meant a lot less motion throughout all of my range except for the lowest 1/2 octave or so of the trumpet. One of the things that has accomplished is since I don't need to move as much as I near the top of my range, the old ceiling of my upper range is easier, and I can in fact go a bit higher. But to get my low register I do need to deliberately recede my jaw a good bit, and of course this is when I need to lower my horn angle accordingly, or else everything falls apart. I don't really know if this is what Doug was referring to, but what I have found is that this jaw recession accomplishes virtually the same thing for me as though I were dropping the jaw to descend. Except it does it w/o the problems that go along with dropping the jaw.

Through all these little transitions to get here, what I've done is the same exercises, but applying myself to them while concentrating on different objectives. For example when I first started doing the track routine with my primary focus on staying with the jaw, it was like a whole different world to my playing. Fortunately changing my pivot from B to A was easy for me, but then my ideal jaw function also obviously needed adjusting, which is what you're describing here. I can't say its all behind me; instead I do hope to gain more refinement in this area, but on my 2 gigs last weekend I was killing it! It had to have been the best playing of my life.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray: excellent post.
Paul: you'll know when it happens. Or maybe it won't.
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, that's great stuff. Similar to my own experience in many ways.

Doug,

This sounds very mysterious and frightening. Are there any danger signs to look out for? The last thing I need right now is for something to "fall apart"...
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I think I said before, if you continually try to force a higher angle and jaw out, there will come a time when you need to give it a rest. Your chops will let you know in a big way if you go beyond what's good for you. It's probably better to play it safe and do a week on, a week off; or up to a month on, a week off if you're adventurous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: