• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tablets for reading music

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
A little ironic to complain about technology by posting on the Internet, though.

Good point.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have to use the internet because we have lost the ability to read smoke signals. But, my computer is steam powered.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
brianj
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 12.2. Big screen, easy to mark any notes/comments on the pdfs and I can email them straight to pupils. I've turned my entire library into pdf format - all the Charles Colin, Schlossberg, Stamp, Irons etc etc and all my repertoire.

Works fine for me

all the best

brian jones
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: reading sheet music on Tablets Reply with quote

matthes93401 wrote:
I'm leaning towards a 10.5" Samsung Tab because of the size, how it lets you drag PDF's and other files to it from Windows, and the good review from Consumer Reports.

On the other hand, those newer Kindle e-readers like the "Paperwhite" appear to have great contrast and a battery life of several days. Anyone on TH try a newer Kindle for reading PDF music?

Other ideas for carrying a sheet music library around?

The 10.5" Samsung is the best I've seen so far.

I contacted the company that makes the screens for the black & white Nook, Kindle, etc. They have no interest in making a screen larger than a paperback book. Communicating with them was a ¨joy¨.

There is a computerized music stand - basically two LCD's in portrait mode side-by side. An interesting feature is that a conductor can update the music in the stand. The down-side is that they're bulky and power hungry.

A big tablet is my 1st choice - the iPad is too small for my old eyes. A bigger (eg 9x12 display) would be great.

And I've seen people use big laptops - tough getting the keyboard out of the way.

Gary.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
My main complaint, and reason I don't have one, is it's hard to fit some of those big pages on a relatively small screen.

I sometimes run into this issue when scanning parts from my band folder. Some of them are wider than the glass on my scanner. I just position either edge against the edge of the scanner and let the other edge hang over the side---whichever side centers the music the best. Then I use the crop feature of the scanner software to frame the printed music on the page. I've always been able to get all of the printed music in a scan. And when I flip the iPad on its side (landscape view) the music looks full size.

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
And accidentally tapping time on the page turner at your foot can make life interesting...

Ha! Yes, I must confess that I've done that. And tapped the wrong pedal too. That's why I think it's a good idea to practice with the pedal at home before bringing it to a rehearsal or performance. With a little practice it becomes second nature.
Piccolo Stomvi
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
And accidentally tapping time on the page turner at your foot can make life interesting...

Ha! Yes, I must confess that I've done that. And tapped the wrong pedal too. That's why I think it's a good idea to practice with the pedal at home before bringing it to a rehearsal or performance. With a little practice it becomes second nature.

So much for tapping your foot to keep time

My band now needs a device to control our individual monitor mix, so I've bought my first tablet. Some of the band members will use 2 separate devices; one for their charts, the other for their mix.

Trying to use these stupid gadgets for charts is ruining our band, because those using them cannot or will not take appropriate notes from what we cover in rehearsal. I'll hip them to fourscore and see what happens ...
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianj wrote:
Hi

I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 12.2. Big screen, easy to mark any notes/comments on the pdfs and I can email them straight to pupils. I've turned my entire library into pdf format - all the Charles Colin, Schlossberg, Stamp, Irons etc etc and all my repertoire.

Works fine for me

all the best

brian jones

Hey that sounds great brian. To scan things in do you use the tablet?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of you worry about copyrights?

For instance someone metioned emailing their PDFs to students. Do you also ensure they have purchased the books and sheet music?

Re: scanning large pages. One can always go to Kinkos or whatever it is called today. They have larger format scanners.

ForScore has a clipping function you can use to minimize the margins after the fact.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Do any of you worry about copyrights?

For instance someone metioned emailing their PDFs to students. Do you also ensure they have purchased the books and sheet music?

Re: scanning large pages. One can always go to Kinkos or whatever it is called today. They have larger format scanners.

ForScore has a clipping function you can use to minimize the margins after the fact.

For things that I purchase and then scan for use on my tablet I don't give a second thought to copyrights.

As for e-mailing things to students, I'd say it's analogous to making a paper copy and handing it to them, so it's pretty clear that it's a no-no.
1948 Holton Model 48
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. copyrights: Fair use for education and such gets tricky. There is lots of info on various web sites and a number of threads on TH about the subject. I had to dig into it a while back and fortunately the Fr Horn player in our community orchestra is also a lawyer focused on helping musicians so I had a lot of help...
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use tables for my band(quartet). I found that it helps in that 1)I reduce the use of paper and ink for charts and 2) it saves space when travelling to the gig. I use a 7" ASUS and the guys have 10.1" tablets, all android. I use a piece of software called Orpheus that allows you to upload from dropbox. I can put the charts all into one folder upload them and then cache them in the program so that I don't have to be connected. Find it to be very convenient for me. Also works well for gigs where the lighting isn't the best. As for the charts, I write it out and then print it from Print Music into a PDF printer and then drop it off in the dropbox folders.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: