• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

All about the gap

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: All about the gap Reply with quote

We just launched a new website with a new comprehensive gap page. This page contains in-depth information, videos and charts. It answers a host of questions about mouthpiece gap.

http://stomvi-usa.com/learn-about-the-annulus-gap/

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277

Last edited by feedback@stomvi-usa on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: I can't feel it...??? Reply with quote

Stomvi, I don't mean to be argumentative for arguments sake, but I think the gap is nothing but pure placebo like nonsense which is, even though intangible in nature, is still valid.

But without making this any sort of public challenge (please pm me if you wish it to be so), to me the Math doesn't work out. You blow the right way, the gap is totally inconsequential, which is my opinion, TOTALLY based on both sound and physical concepts I can demonstrate in person.

I'm open minded but I don't feel it when I play with a nice musical big sound.

Am I off my rockers here? Maybe. Can anyone guide me to the pure math behind the claim that the Gap works?

Btw, the "math" I am referring to is Gabriel's Horn/Torricelli's trumpet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel's_Horn
When you pop the mouthpiece with your hand, and do it really hard, the excitation of such a small "amount of air", the amount of potential sound generated is incredible, the harder you hit it. Said another way, I'm saying you need to have someone who can "blow" in such a way that the "tongue/lever" is not at all the tongue, but is rather the Trachea, JUST LIKE SINGING. This phenomenon was discussed by Reynold Schilke in that he mentioned the standing wave reached the trachea/back of throat.

And my solution is NOT math/written based. As you would guess, it is based on Sound.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

In short: Mouthpiece gap matters = myth
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this should be interesting.

Speaking from experience, and others will also, the right gap DOES make a difference. Maybe you should try a mouthpiece that is cut for sleeves and see for yourself before making such comments.

For me, having the right gap gives a much more open and resonant tone. Attacks and articulations are more secure at any volume. Slots are easier to hit and tuning individual notes is much easier.

And this is on a trumpet with a flush leadpipe so there actually is no gap. The insertion depth makes a difference.

Kent

Last edited by oxleyk on Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:40 am; edited 2 times in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started playing with my first sleeved mouthpiece. I bought a big set of sleeves numbered from 1 to 7 in 0.5 increments. I can already say with my relatively small amount of experimenting that it's pretty easy to tell that the various gaps affect how the horn blows and sounds.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't feel it...??? Reply with quote

nvidal wrote:
Stomvi, I don't mean to be argumentative for arguments sake, but I think the gap is nothing but pure placebo like nonsense which is, even though intangible in nature, is still valid.

But without making this any sort of public challenge (please pm me if you wish it to be so), to me the Math doesn't work out. You blow the right way, the gap is totally inconsequential, which is my opinion, TOTALLY based on both sound and physical concepts I can demonstrate in person.

I'm open minded but I don't feel it when I play with a nice musical big sound.

Am I off my rockers here? Maybe. Can anyone guide me to the pure math behind the claim that the Gap works?

Btw, the "math" I am referring to is Gabriel's Horn/Torricelli's trumpet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel's_Horn
When you pop the mouthpiece with your hand, and do it really hard, the excitation of such a small "amount of air", the amount of potential sound generated is incredible, the harder you hit it. Said another way, I'm saying you need to have someone who can "blow" in such a way that the "tongue/lever" is not at all the tongue, but is rather the Trachea, JUST LIKE SINGING. This phenomenon was discussed by Reynold Schilke in that he mentioned the standing wave reached the trachea/back of throat.

And my solution is NOT math/written based. As you would guess, it is based on Sound.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi

I would say that varying the gap for me makes a difference.

To me the fact that it makes a difference and that I have a preference for one gap over another, matters to me in that I therefore choose to have the gap set to my preference.

If you had your mouthpiece cut for sleeves and experimented with different sleeves, whether or not you noticed any difference, if you had no preference for any particular sleeve/sleeves, or didn't think that any noticeable difference was important to you, then maybe for you, mouthpiece gap doesn't matter.

For me, and others, it does matter.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say potato, you say coupler.

i read the new page but feel a bit uneasy not seeing bob's name in the list...

after all.........

just sayin'
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't feel it...??? Reply with quote

nvidal wrote:

So, out of curiosity, have you actually had your mouthpiece gap adjusted by a reputable expert?
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:

after all.........

just sayin'

Yeah, those couplers look suspiciously like Reeves Sleeves, and they seem to do the same thing.

Good explanation of gap, though.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gapping the mouthpiece worked for me like nothing else.
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeminglythere is only one possible answer to the gap question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ojomTUt0X4

But, as one person commented on this video, there were 31 people who did NOT mind the gap. Sheesh!

Well, they were not harmed, they seemed to carry on. So what now?
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nvidal: when an opportunity presents itself, test drive a Courtois with the adjustable receiver. I think it would cause you to revisit your position.

A number of years ago my son who had been playing for only a year or so demo'd a Courtois Evolution IV. Even though he was only 10 or 11, he could feel the difference in gap adjustments and everyone listening could clearly hear distinct differences. He had no expectation of what a gap change might do; he was just happy to have the opportunity to play something way nicer than the starter cornet he had at the time. It wasn't voodoo or a placebo, clearly adjusting the gap changed what he felt on his end and what we heard on the other.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: All about gap Reply with quote

Hello all,
For me, if there is a ridge at the venturi, then gap is important for certain pitches. I just bought a horn and the receiver was set at 1/2 inch plus. The horn did not have much magic. Had the receiver adjusted, about 1/8 inch....Magic happens. Please notice, I did mention ridge at the venturi...My Schilke pic and Eb cornet, which have adjustable leadpipes, are fine with no gap, as is my Olds Special which is receiverless.
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:

after all.........

just sayin'

Bob Reeves, as I've said many times, is the greatest mouthpiece maker that ever lived. Having worked with him for 14 years, I am well versed in his knowledge and abilities. Along with that , he's a great guy!

The purpose of the Annulus/Gap page on our website is to delineate the knowledge of the gap that I have gained since I left Bob's shop. As is stated on the page about our Flex Couplers, we stayed true to Bob's shank size measurements as he set the standard for the industry. We made significant changes to our Couplers in order to differentiate them from sleeves and offer, IMHO, a modern alternative. If my goal had been to copy sleeves, I would have just bought them from Bob.

The first use of purposefully different shank sizes that I know of was by Carroll Purviance. Purviance was a mouthpiece maker that came on the scene in the 1940's I believe. He made a standard and a "B" shank. The "B" shank went into the horn (less gap) further by 1/32 inch. Bob worked for Carroll and, when Bob started making his own line of mouthpieces started from this departure point. In the 1970s, Bob developed his sleeve system.

Having worked with Bob, I started from where he left off, and after much study and working with players, developed our Flex Coupler system. Anyone who has spoken with me on the phone, in person, or attended one of my seminars, knows what a huge proponent I am about the importance of the gap and it's function in making a players' life easier. I believe in adjusting the gap to the point where I do not make any solid shank trumpet mouthpieces.

There has been a wealth of great music performed on mouthpieces and trumpets without any regard for the gap. A good player can certainly adjust for pitch inconsistencies using their abilities. My goal has always been to make equipment that is as transparent as possible so the player can concentrate on the music, not on the execution from note to note. The better the equipment is functioning, the easier it is to play, and thus make music.

I continue to study the gap and all other aspects of the mouthpiece and trumpet system. After all, at the heart of all things, I'm a trumpet geek as well…

Have great gigs!

K.O. Skinsnes
President, Stomvi USA

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy oh boy! Does gap ever make a difference!!!
I mean, it really does! Before I re-gapped my yammy my sound was flat and dull. But NOW!!
I mean, it's really . . .eh . . . uh . . . not the same. It's . . . . altogether, well . . . better.
How?
The sound is . . .eh, well, LISTEN! I used a toothpick to measure the gap length inside the receiver and marked the toothpick with a pencil. Then I laid the toothpick along the mouthpiece and discovered the difference.
Wow! what a difference.
I'll tell you one thing . . . What? What was the actual difference?
It was better. I mean really better. My upper registers, my, well, lower notes . . . . the ease of blowing, octaves, diminished . . . holding notes, the metronome was . . .

Bluesy/
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that is a weird post....

gap does make a dif of course, but I'm not convinced that Lip intrusion is the factor that determines the best gap. The conn patent that talks about gap does not mention lip intrusion, and the graph in the video above seems not quite right to me also.

I guess my problem with the lip intrusion explanation is that if it were true, then a deep mouthpiece used by a player with tons of intrusion would map out the same (or vaguely similar) as a shallow piece with little intrusion. And they don't map the same way. At least that is my experience.

Plus, every player goes from little intrusion to way more intrusion when they go up high and loud. One way to see how much intrusion is to put the piece on ice for a few seconds and then dry it off. Play it a few seconds and look inside. You can see how far the lips go in, by looking at the line of condensation..

Gap is at least partially determined by the diameter and shape of the gap chamber, in other words, the thicknesses of the edges of the pipe and the end of the stem, and the bevel or lack of beveling in those places, and also the venturi size etc.
The GR gap formula tales those things into consideration.
Another thing is simply how wild or controlled a player likes a horn to be. So then things like valve fitment would have an effect on optimum gap size.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:

Another thing is simply how wild or controlled a player likes a horn to be.

Sorry, I can't resist but - does this make an S3 a Controlled Thing?
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote: "well that is a weird post.... "

Would you believe 'humorous'?
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I've just started playing with my first sleeved mouthpiece. I bought a big set of sleeves numbered from 1 to 7 in 0.5 increments. I can already say with my relatively small amount of experimenting that it's pretty easy to tell that the various gaps affect how the horn blows and sounds.

your blowing wrong imo. your standing wave seems to start at your lips (ie, you are a buzzer), rather than the musically and functionally superior way of blowing where the wave, I believe at least starts from the back of your throat, but really, may go deeper, to the bottom of each lung.
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluesy wrote:
Boy oh boy! Does gap ever make a difference!!!
I mean, it really does! Before I re-gapped my yammy my sound was flat and dull. But NOW!!
I mean, it's really . . .eh . . . uh . . . not the same. It's . . . . altogether, well . . . better.
How?
The sound is . . .eh, well, LISTEN! I used a toothpick to measure the gap length inside the receiver and marked the toothpick with a pencil. Then I laid the toothpick along the mouthpiece and discovered the difference.
Wow! what a difference.
I'll tell you one thing . . . What? What was the actual difference?
It was better. I mean really better. My upper registers, my, well, lower notes . . . . the ease of blowing, octaves, diminished . . . holding notes, the metronome was . . .

Bluesy/

Can you leadpipe buzz 5 octaves? if not, this is why you feel this "gap". also, it's your brain that creates the condition, which is why real chemical medicine needs to be tested using the double blind placebo.

If i put a blind fold on you, and then we recorded a few examples with various gaps and equipment choices/variables, would you be able to HEAR the difference? I don't say FEEL because what you feel is based on your sensory input determined by HOW you blow. My leadpipe comment, though douchey, is essential here, otherwise, we're talking apples and oranges.
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluesy wrote:
Quote: "well that is a weird post.... "

Would you believe 'humorous'?

Not a single moment where I thought this was funny or not absolutely serious. Do you even sound good on the trumpet? Not great, it's the hardest musical instrument known to man, not great, but good.

I just dropped 6 yrs worth of studying knowledge on you, and you come back with "humorous", "cause i'm a dummy and i'm lazy, so not only do i not get it, i won't even try it because i'm lazy".

You are welcome.

Nacho
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: