• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beethoven's 8th Symphony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Beethoven's 8th Symphony Reply with quote

I am playing first trumpet on Beethoven's 8th symphony and their is a lot of work in the upper register, especially toward the end of the music. The problem has more to do with the amount of playing (i.e. the 4th movement goes on for ever). How do other players handle the issue of endurance in a piece like this.

Thanks,

Barry
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: Amateur player.

1. Practice (endurance exercises).
2. Breathe. Often. Mark breath marks and use them.
3. Watch the dynamics -- bring it down whenever possible.
4. Play gently, minimize tension (not just pressure on the chops, all tension).
5. Trade or lay out a phrase here and there, perhaps to your second/third or an associate principal.
6. A shallower mpc might help. I do that now and then, even in the orchestra, depending upon brain and horn to keep the sound I want out front.
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's 8 that I am thinking of, last time I played it, I used a picc. I was trying to do it on C and remember it was major work. I spoke with some orchestral buddies and they all mentioned that Bud did it on picc. Good enough for Bud, good enough for this guy
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt feedback. I just came back from a rehearsal last night. Everything went reasonably well. I found that the best approach was to play with a relaxed mindset and not to overblow the intense passages.
I also took a number of the more demanding sections down an octave (i.e. pick your battles) in order to get through to the end of the symphony without damaging my lips.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wvtrumpet wrote:
If it's 8 that I am thinking of, last time I played it, I used a picc. I was trying to do it on C and remember it was major work. I spoke with some orchestral buddies and they all mentioned that Bud did it on picc. Good enough for Bud, good enough for this guy

Damn, I could have had a V-8.

I played Beethoven 7 over the weekend. That high A in the 3rd movement, which the conductor wanted at fff, was my nemesis. It never even occurred to me to do it on picc. I'll know better next time.

If you're not looking, you can miss the obvious.

-John
ListeningFromTheBackRow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a career second trumpet player, and in situations like this one (end of Beethoven 7 or 8 ), how you are locking in the your 2nd can make or break the piece for the 1st trumpet!

Decide what type of sound you're going for, rather than thinking about how loud you'll need to play. If you have a strong 2nd player that can lay down a great foundation for you, you'll probably be able to play a bit less forcefully than you might imagine. Even in the really loud bits! Just ride on top of those octaves and let the brilliance in your sound carry you over the orchestra.

The 2nd player has a TON of control over how easily you'll project out into the hall. If you can, try to get into the hall real early and get some ears out into the audience to listen while you both experiment with different volume levels and brilliance/darkness of sound. Once you really figure out exactly how the 2nd trumpet can make your life easier, well, your life will get a LOT easier!
tptplayer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 ListeningFromTheBackRow. Projection is perception, not always volume
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
wvtrumpet wrote:

Damn, I could have had a V-8.

I played Beethoven 7 over the weekend. That high A in the 3rd movement, which the conductor wanted at fff, was my nemesis. It never even occurred to me to do it on picc. I'll know better next time.

If you're not looking, you can miss the obvious.

-John

LOL..I totally feel ya!!! It's a major blow throughout!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: